That's it I've had it with Nikon!!!

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Had a lens fail with just 23 years of use!! :aiwebs_016: If it had gone to 25 years I might not have been too mad. But this is it. Can't stand their quality!!!! :048: I'm just going to sell everything Nikon I have, and buy something else!!! :aiwebs_016:

Yea, right! :801:

My 28mm f/2.8 AF which I bought in 1994 I believe, will no longer AF. Has something to do with the chip I think. As it focuses freely by hand and by the lens focus coupler. But the body won't even try to focus the lens when connected. Tried on 3 different bodies with body motors. Contacts are clean, but cleaned them anyway. No help. After only 23 years too!!! :BangHead:

It's my first Nikon lens to fail, and only 2nd Nikon failure ever. First was SB-600 flash tube. And I have a lot of Nikon gear going way back.

Oh, well. Time to go lens shopping again. :allteeth:

WHAT JUNK! Almost a quarter-century, and a consumer-grade, first-generation Nikkor AF prime failed! Awful!

Your thread title reminded me of the thread started recently by a long-time forum member.

I've been a Nikon shooter since 1982. I had the diaphragm conk out in a second-hand 35mm f/1.4 pre-Ai 1969 manufactured lens...it went out in 1985, and shot everything wide-open. My next piece of Nikon malfunctioning was on my second-hand D1h...the diaphragm actuation mechanism went out, and that was a $500 repair...next up was my used 2000 35mm f/2 AF-D....in 2013 its diaphragm conked out: the 35mm f/2 AF-D has had a long history of oily diaphragm blades causing sluggish actuation...mine developed that after 10-plus years, then 3 years later it crapped out during a modeling shoot. My used SB-28DX became erratic after 15 years.

Hmmm....wow...four equipment failures between 1985 and 2013...sixty-plus lenses, 15 cameras or so, and some flashes...huh...wow, that is a failure once on average of every 8.5 years over a 32-year span!

I once had a 135mm Nikkor fall from a ladder to a concrete floor while I was trying to change it. It dented the hood badly but I was able to remove the hood and keep shooting. I did have to buy a new hood.

My son dropped my former Nikon 18-200 VR from the top of my dresser, onto a hard floor. It bounced! Hood got cracked/busted. Lens was fine.

Yes a friggin zero failures in five years here so far.

Distributed between three cameras, three flash units, 18 lenses.

Completely intolerable.

High time for Nikon to take over a N. American car maker...

WHAT?!?

So you are telling me that all the Nikon gear I bought in the last 5 years will not last at least 25-30 years?? There goes my plan for a new set in 2050...
Canon, here I come!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back