The 35W Bridge Collapse: lots of photos.

uberben

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.benberndtphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was down near the scene soon after this happened last night and I was overcome with raw emotion. It was so amazing to see everyone spring into action and get people out to safety. I spent a couple hours down there and tried to stay out of the way as much as I could.

the photos:
bb2.jpg

bb3.jpg

bb4.jpg

bb5.jpg

bb6.jpg

bb8.jpg

bb9.jpg

bb10.jpg

bb11.jpg

bb12.jpg

bb18.jpg

bb19.jpg

bb21.jpg

bb23.jpg

bb24.jpg

These photos are amazing, I just don't know what words will express the way I am feeling.

some good pictures there. it's good to finally see some different angles. i was looking at the startribs page and saw copy after copy of the same picture.
i've driven over that bridge more times that i can remember; it's strange now to see it as pieces of twisted girders.

wow, heavy stuff. Nice series of pics there. And yes, it's good to see different angles. Thanx for sharing!

pascal

I was out of my element yesterday when taking these. I normally am out shooting weddings, landscapes and extreme sports. The traffic was a complete mess and I was very happy to be on my mtn bike. This is such a big mess that I was almost numbed by the severity of it. Only seeing the absolute horror on onlookers faces would bring me back to reality that people were dying as I was here taking photos.

very nice man, great to see some diff angles, like everyone else pointed out

Wow those are some pretty great pictures. Although i don't think i could bring myself to take pictures of a scene like that. It just wouldn't feel right to me.

Great shots.

You did a good job of documenting the aftermath of this tragedy.

There has been quite the ripple effect from this disaster... I know that bridges in Ontario (and records of their previous inspection) are being eyed closely and people want assurances this type of thing can't happen here. Our infrastructure is aging, so this terrible event may be the catalyst to make sure appropriate funds are assigned and action taken.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am amazed that how some people are already making this into a political thing. I hope this does move the right people to make sure our transit systems are up to par.

I love how you've framed the shots with the still-standing Cedar Ave bridge. I also thing 2, 3, and 4 are the most powerful: DOF in 2 focusing on the bridge; though I think I'd like to have seen their faces in focus. The cop keeping order in 3 is great, and the onlookers on the (University Ave??) bridge in 4 is great.

Good series.

i sort of posted some follow up shots, from my knowledge, he hasnt been back to take pictures since the day it happened, so if you want, my photos are a couple threads down. by the way, great shots ben!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back