The Adobe Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers

LizardKing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody!

I've been looking all over Amazon and this forum, trying to find a book to learn how to use Photoshop to edit my shots. From what I can see, besides all videos and online training materials, it seems that this book (see title) is the way to go. However, I do have some questions maybe some of you -having more experience on the subject- can answer. :mrgreen:

First, I'll explain my needs:
  • This will be my first attempt to learn to use Photoshop, so I'd like a book covering all basic-intermediate stuff.
  • I don't want to use it for design, or anything like that. Just to edit my photos, correct minor details and play around a little.
So, first of all, I'd like to hear what you have to say about these books from Scott Kelby. Which one should I buy? Should I start with an old one or go directly to the CS5 edition released last year?

Besides that... Do you know of any other books in this subject to recommend? Maybe one you like better than this one, or that you read and found it helpful.

I just finished reading Understanding Exposure and Learning to See Creatively, both from Bryan Peterson and found them really helpful. Now, I'd like to do something similar with this. What's a great book to learn how to use Photoshop?

Thank you all in advance and hope my questions and doubts are clear. If not, just let me know and I'll add more detail.

Regards,
LizardKing

I don't know much about PhotoShop myself, I have a PP person. He is quite good and learned on his own from the online tutorials and getting every book on the subject that he could from his local library. And I make sure he's got a certain amount of time every week so that he can keep digging and learning.

As far as the version to look into, just look at books and tutorials for the one you own to start with.

I do not recommend this book. I feel like it is short on info and some of the photos are just poor quality.

I'm a huge fan of books for learning photography, but when it comes to editing, I think video is the better way to go. You can follow along, listening, without having to read. There can be so many steps involved with an edit, it's more to read than is practical. At some point, it's inevitable that you'll read something that you can't follow because it's poorly written, or you have the wrong version or something.

My work has some licenses for lynda.com, which is a MASSIVE video education site. They have tutorials on pretty much every piece of software that needs a tutorial. They even have some videos on photography although they are pretty generic. I believe it's something like $30 a month... much more value than you'll get out of that $60 retail book.

If you MUST have a book, I recommend you check out Deke McClelland. He did the video series that I learned from on Lynda. He's entertaining, and seems to know everything about photoshop and can teach it in an easy-to-follow manner. If you want a taste, it looks like his "Top #40" series is on youtube. Heck, that alone would be enough to get you started.

There are a plethora of free youtube tutorials, many are worthy.

I have the Scott kelby book for cs5. It is a book on the basics. I'm finding it helpful so far. You can follow along with the book - you can download the same pictures as in the book. I really like this book. I've learned a lot from it. It has 2 chapters on just camera raw! Granted this book doesn't cover everything - not even close. It's a good book to get started with.
Tutorials on the Internet are helpful as well! I personally don't like video tutorials at all so I try not to use them. There are alot of written tutorials too!

Which version of Photoshop do you have? At any rate, no one book will cut it.

Photoshop Elements - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9?

Photoshop - Photoshop, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, CS, CS2, CS3, CS4, or CS5?

The most popular Photoshop books have been written by Scott Kelby. Scotts books are essentially collections of tutorials.
The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)

The Photoshop Elements 9 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)

If you want a more comprehensive description of all of Photoshops tools, features, and functions look at the Photoshop books written by Martin Evening.
Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

The Photoshop CS series also includes Bridge (an image browser/organizer) and Adobe Camera Raw (ACR, a parametric Raw converter and editor). I recommend Bruce Fraser/Jeff Schewe's 'Real World' books on ACR and Image sharpening.
Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5

Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

Lastly for using Bridge and managing digital image assets; The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great! Thank you all for the data and answers!

I think I'll go with videos tutorials... The ones at Lynda.com seem to be pretty good.
And, if needed, I'll probably read one of Scott Kelby.

Have a nice day!
Regards,

What are helpful too are the Digital (camera) magazines that include the Photoshop lessons on disk. They allow you to follow step by step and perform the task yourself with them as a tutor.

A National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) membership is only $99 a year and gives you access to their member only web site, forum, help desk, and tutorials.
You also get 10 issues of Photoshop User magazine. I easily save the $99 annual membership fee in savings from all the discounts and perks NAPP members get on software, hardware, regular shipping from B&H and Adorama, travel, lodging, and more.

My NAPP referal link is http://www.photoshopuser.com/?aid=luhgxq Click where it says "Benefits" to see all that a NAPP membership includes.

A National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) membership is only $99 a year and gives you access to their member only web site, forum, help desk, and tutorials.
You also get 10 issues of Photoshop User magazine. I easily save the $99 annual membership fee in savings from all the discounts and perks NAPP members get on software, hardware, regular shipping from B&H and Adorama, travel, lodging, and more.

My NAPP referal link is http://www.photoshopuser.com/?aid=luhgxq Click where it says "Benefits" to see all that a NAPP membership includes.

I'll take a look into this and be sure I'll use your referal link, in case I decide to join the NAPP. Great data, thank you so much. :thumbup:

Regards,
LizardKing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back