The All New Good Book Thread

bigfatbadger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Terri suggested that we start a new book thread, so no sooner said than done!

I've got a couple I'd like to reccomend to people: -
1856694321.02._PE34_OU02_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Photography - John Ingledew ([ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1856694321/202-1342364-0917431?v=glance&n=266239"]Amazon[/ame])
I have recently been looknig for photography books that don't start with a chapter about cameras and lenses, and then progress to talk about aperture and shutter speed. This is because I've read a load of these already and to be honest, they all pretty much say the same thing. Knowing that my technical base in photography was OK, I was looking for something that explored the art side of photography a bit more. Ingledew's book does talk about shutter speed and aperture etc, but these come seperate to the discussion around photography as an art form and the history as photography.

He talks about how photography has been used in society, most importantly for me, some good ideas on finding inspiration and the ethics of photography and there's also a chapter on becoming a pro photographer, which is fairly sparse but does give some good tips.

I think, if you're looking for a beginners book on the history and art side of photography, you could do a lot worse than buying this book.

and another one
1888803061.01._PE00_OU02_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

On Being a Photographer - David Hurn / Bill Jay ([ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1888803061/202-1342364-0917431?v=glance&n=266239"]Amazon[/ame])
Frankly, one of the best books I've ever read on photography. David Hurn (Magnum) is interviewed by Bill Jay on what it actually is to be a photographer, there's no technical guidance here, but what there is is an insight into the way a truely great photographer works. That is, that research is just as important as taking photos, consider your day to day stuff as 'practice' for the important ones and planning is the key to a succesful project. Now, he does come at everything with a reportage slant, but that's because of his background, but all in all, this book really opened my eyes to some different ways of working and the fact that you shouldn't be able to just 'make' masterpieces. It comes with a lot of careful preperation and planning.

Anyone else got any?

Not necessarily a lot about the technical aspects of photography, but very inspirational.

The Photo Book, Phaidon
Harry Callahan, Bulfinch
Margaret Bourke White Photographer, Bulfinch
Steichen: The Master Prints 1895 - 1914, The Museum of Modern Art
California and the West, Charis and Edward Weston
Jeff Wall, Phaidon
Weegee's World, Bulfinch
Bruce Davidson: Central Park, Aperture
The Inhabited Pairie, Terry Evans
Examples The Making of 40 Photographs, Ansel Adams
Rites and Passages, Minor White
Immediate Family, Sally Mann

Bryan Peterson has some great books. When I was first starting out, they helped me see the world differently. He has lots of great examples so that you don't have to guess as to what he's talking about. The two I think all new photographers should read are:

Learning to See Creatively
Understanding Exposure

If they aren't out of print the daybooks of Edward Weston. I gave my set to my son in law who I am sure never opened them. They are more about the mind of the photographer almost nothing technical in them. They were in fact his journals

I agree about the Bryan Peterson books. He has a nice, easy writing style, and great examples. There's someone whose hard work has given him a wonderful career. :thumbup:

I want all the inspirational books I can get my hands on. :heart:

I have been trying to study more on darkroom printing. I can recommend these two:

- Black & White Photographic Printing Workshop, by Larry Bartlett & Jon Tarrant (the late Larry Bartlett's prints can make your jaw drop)

- Elements of Black & White Photography: The Making of Twenty Images, by George E. Todd

That said, can anyone recommend more books on more advanced printing techniques/tips/advice? B&W, of course. :)

Most reactions

Back