The auto focus sticks, Should I buy? 70-200mm f/2.8

Nightstr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning everyone, I hope I’m posting in the right section.
I'm looking to buy a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 AFS VR off of Craigslist. according to the seller, "The auto focus sticks. The motor itself works and the lens takes perfect photos, but the auto focus ring sticks and won’t move the full range".
Would I be making a smart purchase at $500?

Auto focus ring sticks? Surely auto focus doesn't have a ring - focus rings are for manual focus?

If the lens has a fault, even one that doesn't matter today, the fault is likely to worsen over time and you might end up with no ability to focus, neither auto nor manual. Perhaps $50 would be a better price.

It sounds like the seller is saying that the lens focuses fine in auto-focus; but that the manual focusing ring sticks and thus can't be focused fully in manual mode. This is a problem because it means there is some internal damage to the gears and focusing system.

At present it might not be affecting the AF; but in time it could and the resulting damage might be a costly repair. Indeed if the owner hasn't had it repaired it suggests that they are either lazy or that repair is more than the lens is worth (it could also be that they simply lack the financial means to afford such a repair too).

I would avoid a damaged lens as you could end up spending as much as a new one in repair costs.

Thank you for your feed back. I thought I was getting a killer deal but it' very clear. I'll pass and just look for a new one.

I would definitely pass.

I used a lens before that had a manual focus problem. The AF worked but MF was rough and not fully functional ... then the AF very quickly started jamming itself. A costly repair worth more than the lens was. Luckily the lens wasn't mine and it wasn't a top of the line lens.

I would pass unless you are interested in buying some tools and seeing if it needs parts or if it just needs the pieces set back in place and tightened again. I'd get it just out of curiosity.

Honestly why deal with a broken lens ?
For about 700$ you can get a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS or for around 800$-900$ a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC
Spend the little extra money and get a lens that works perfectly.
Also if you are using FX body then these lenses will be much better then the VRI in the corners.

For about 700$ you can get a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS or for around 800$-900$ a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC
There's a Tamron 70-200 VC in the For Sale section here for a really great price.

[/QUOTE]
There's a Tamron 70-200 VC in the For Sale section here for a really great price.[/QUOTE]

Would you happen to have a link? I found one in the for sale section but the thread was removed.

Honestly why deal with a broken lens ?
Spend the little extra money and get a lens that works perfectly.
Also if you are using FX body then these lenses will be much better then the VRI in the corners.
The 'why' question is simple: to learn and add more knowledge and skills...but mostly an excuse to buy more TOOLS!

Seriously, I'd rather have a broken lens and greater knowledge than a perfect lens and less knowledge and experience. To me, that's the reason to get up every day.

Seriously, I'd rather have a broken lens and greater knowledge than a perfect lens and less knowledge and experience. To me, that's the reason to get up every day.
While I will not compromise, I want best equipment and as much knowledge as possible.
Why go for bad this and good that or bad that and good this ?
I want good this and good that!

While I will not compromise, I want best equipment and as much knowledge as possible.
We both want that, evidently, I didn't say never buy a good working lens, I said if you have a chance to get a broken one and learn from it, never pass on an opportunity to learn. Then buy 5 brand new lenses if you like. :) There are a lot more opportunities to buy brand new than to buy broken and learn, at least from the ads I see.

That makes you a Goody Two-Lenses !! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back