The best photo editing software

missp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, I am a beginner photographer, but would like to take some courses to improve both my photography and to learn photo editing skills. What would be the best photo editing software for me to learn to use?
Thanks!

Most courses will be centered around Photoshop. Photoshop is quite expensive so many people opt for Adobe Elements which is a stripped down Photoshop intended specifically for photographers.

Photoshop is great, if you want to pay. I would like to get it at some point. For now, I'm using GIMP, which is free and it does everything I need it to do.

^^^^^^---------+1

EDIT: I meant plus one to the first response. HAHA

Gimp would be a free option, although I don't really like it.

As mentioned image editing classes will likely be designed around Photoshop CS4 or 5.

With a valid student ID (enrolled full- or part-time and have a valid student ID), at a qualifying school (an accredited primary or secondary school, university, or college) you will be eligible to get an 80% discount on Adobe Photoshop CS5 - Extended, even if you are not taking any image editing or photography classes. (the 80% discount makes the student price $199. The full retail price is $999.)

You would be buying a Student Edition which is exactly the same as the full priced retail version, except it includes a use license that only allows you to install it on one computer. The regular version's use license allows installing it on 2 computers.

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/st...toshopExtendedSTE&view=ols_prod&store=OLS-EDU

Hi guys, I am a beginner photographer, but would like to take some courses to improve both my photography and to learn photo editing skills. What would be the best photo editing software for me to learn to use?
Thanks!

If you lack the cash for PS, and you have access to a mac, try Aperture 3. Apple - Aperture - Pro performance with iPhoto simplicity.
I use it personally along with photoshop extended cs4.

Keep practicing taking photos, that way you won't need to edit much of anything anyways. I don't know why the GNU Image Manipulation Program wouldn't be worthy of using, its free...

Aperture is more of a basic editing, converter, and workflow application. It's not the same thing as Photoshop, Elements or Gimp. It's handy for sure, but it's used typically in conjunction with Photoshop like Lightroom is.

If the OP only wants to adjust color, sharpen, fix spots, rotate, crop, convert, etc. images and not really "edit" them, then it would do fine. For most beginners it might be all they need.

Just thought I would clarify that for the OP.

Photoshop no doubt. Not only for photography but perfect for general editing: posters e.t.c

Definately Photoshop. It is expensive but I does anything you will every want to do for anything. Awesome Awesome program.

lightroom for RAW editing, and photoshop for other stuff. I personally use lightroom 3 for most of my editing, as it does things much easier than photoshop.

I love corel, but I have never tried anything else

Most reactions

New Topics

Back