The Big Two

Tasmaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since i can't get it locked i might as well delete it. My bad, lesson learned.

Last edited:
Hey, I recognize that thread!

However, I have learned that it's almost not worth weighing in on a topic like this. I'm a serious amateur (at best, lol) and I would not shoot anything outside of Nikon or Canon. The best reason I can possibly give you, is that I have had positive experiences with both in the past. But... to each his/her own. It's not a reflection of how I feel about the other brands by any stretch.

Last edited:
If "Billy Bob's" Nifty Neato DSLR system fits your needs and does the job, why not? I'm a Canon shooter because I liked the bodies better and the range of lenses was what I needed. Some of the other systems didn't have lenses to fit my needs, and some didn't have bodies that I liked.

This from a very dedicated Nikon user for 30 years in the film world. It comes down for me, what I like best and fills my needs. If Billy Bob comes out with a body I like and the lenses that fit my needs then Billy Bob gets my business. That is what keeps Fuji in the DSLR market. Bodies that fit needs with the entire Nikon lens system available for them.

I use whatever rig is at hand to meet my needs. This may be anything from a digital to an old film tlr. I see no reason to restrict myself. My interest is the finished picture -- not what I used to get there.

Cool answers all, but they don't answer my questions at all :)

Cool answers all, but they don't answer my questions at all :)

I) Is my information correct?
Basically.

II) Why should i, as either a) a professional or b) a serious amateur, at this time choose any brand outside Nikon and Canon?
What part of this doesn't answer this question?
If "Billy Bob's" Nifty Neato DSLR system fits your needs and does the job, why not? I'm a Canon shooter because I liked the bodies better and the range of lenses was what I needed. Some of the other systems didn't have lenses to fit my needs, and some didn't have bodies that I liked.

This from a very dedicated Nikon user for 30 years in the film world. It comes down for me, what I like best and fills my needs. If Billy Bob comes out with a body I like and the lenses that fit my needs then Billy Bob gets my business. That is what keeps Fuji in the DSLR market. Bodies that fit needs with the entire Nikon lens system available for them.

What part of this doesn't answer this question?

Well, i kind of excluded this arguement (every camera will do the job) in my description. What i am going for here is cold hard facts, with a heavy emphasis towards brands as a whole - as opposed to specific pieces of gear.

Good that you mentioned Fuji; i am not very familiar with them but they were kind of a special case last time i checked (due to their sensor). I think I need to exclude special applications as criteria for choosing a brand... for now i'll just sleep on it :).

PS: (honest question) How many pros use DSLRs that are not Canon or Nikon?

What i am going for here is cold hard facts.

You are seeking quantitative data from opinionated people......that's almost as much of an oxymoron as military intelligence.

"How many pros do not use a Nikon or a Canon" is a question that I can answer based on the 20 or so professionals that I know first hand... all but one use Nikon or Canon, and that one uses a digital back Mamiya and has no less than $100,000 in equipment at his beck and call... he does use a Nikon P&S when at Disney, if that makes a difference... lol.

My question to you is... why would it make a difference TO YOU what others use? I always advocate that each person do their own homework and find what works best for them. My choice in anything that I use is very rarely based on what others "suggest". I take good reviews in consideration, but the final choice is always based on MY needs, and never on what anyone else says I should use nor what anyone else uses.

What i failed completely to get across is that this was supposed to be a thought experiment, not another advice-seeking thread. I was trying to establish a hypothetical situation for the purpose of discussion.

As a thought experiment there's a problem not of how extensive a system is but also what value the big two can provide.

- Say you're a Nikon photographer. You can bet your bottom dollar that if you join the local camera club there'll be another Nikon photographer there who may know your gear much better than you and can help you learn. For example when my girlfriend asks me something about her Olympus E-430 I often just shrug or spend a good 10 min looking over the controls with her.
- On the topic of value there is also price. A notable exception that in my opinion fails your tests above is Leica; Olympus also to a lesser extent. Both of them have a hugely extensive range, have excellent top end quality, and a name alone that is worth them staying in the photography business (unlike say Sony). But with Lecia cameras costing as much as full systems from the big-two, and Olympus having such a huge price step between the amateur and their pro equipment (how much is their 70-200 again?) they aren't really all that viable for someone starting from the bottom and working up.

Also your thought experiment only applies to DSLRs. As a professional say in the landscape photography or fashion photography business there's a lot of names bigger than Nikon or Canon, such as Mamiya or Hassleblad.

Oh and you're question is loaded. No one has as much experience as Nikon in DSLRs. The first sensors were mounted in their bodies. Pity their marketing people have head their heads in the sand when it came to full frame sensors. :)

Also your thought experiment only applies to DSLRs. As a professional say in the landscape photography or fashion photography business there's a lot of names bigger than Nikon or Canon, such as Mamiya or Hassleblad.

That's the whole point! Nikon and Canon aren't exactly big in medium format or film rangefinders, are they? And i am sure that Porsche makes way better cars than either of them! DSLRs are a specific, well-defined niche with a rich history, a big enough field to have it's own market. I really don't think there is much direct competition between Nikon and Hasselblad.

Oh and you're question is loaded. No one has as much experience as Nikon in DSLRs.
Err, no what i just quoted is loaded; you are directly saying that Nikon > Canon and everyone else in DSLRs. :confused:

If people don't follow the parameters set and change them at will, there is no point to this. It becomes just another free discussion, and there are dozens of gear threads out there already. This thread has been a proper train wreck, i'll try to get it locked before any real damage ensues! Thanks to those who did stay on track, even for a bit.

Err, no what i just quoted is loaded; you are directly saying that Nikon > Canon and everyone else in DSLRs. :confused:
I think that little smilie at the end of that line indicated something else. :)

I would never underestimate Sony. Every pro market they ever entered they dominate, including video cameras, sound recording gear, and display devices.

I would never underestimate Sony. Every pro market they ever entered they dominate, including video cameras, sound recording gear, and display devices.

The Bata Max will return baby!!!:mrgreen::lmao::lol::thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back