Alison

Swiss Army Friend
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
fatephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, at school my boys have been watching about a dozen eggs incubate and the first little one has made a hole in its shell and is ready to hatch. They both stood there in amazement looking at it, and I know once the chick emerges that's all we will hear about for weeks :mrgreen:

I am just waiting for the question about "where do babies come from?" from my oldest. He's 5 1/2 and my younger will be 4 in August. How old were you when your parents (or friends, or someone else) told you about how babies are made? I've always been very open with them about techinical terms for their bodies and while it's made me go red a few times in Target when my oldest expounds on what makes men and women different in the check out line I think they are comfortable with their bodies which was my goal.

I'm not going to go the stork route because I think that would only confuse them :p

That school is cool! We never ever got to do anything like that!
Hopefully nothing will force you to start going into what happens later on in life again. :(
I think I'd be more scared of that talk than the one about how babies are made.
How old were you when your parents (or friends, or someone else) told you about how babies are made?
I have no idea if I ever had that talk. I do remember having to watch videos at school when I was nine. I think I knew most of the basics before that anyway. I wasn't shy at that age. :oops:

I was never given any kind of 'talk' about anything. I've always had to figure it all out on my own, but I don't really remember not knowing, so I was pretty young when I figured it out, I think.

My parents sat me down one afternoon and made me watch a video - I was kinda lost after watching it but I guess that comes with being 7 years old and not having a clue about how it works.

I was 10 when I got to see the film at school. The birds and the bees just wasn't something that was discussed in my house. After I saw the film, my Dad asked if I had any questions but there was NO way that I was discussing sex with my father. :oops: I think I just figured things out myself.

With my kids, I took the same approach that you are taking. Just being honest and leaving the door open for future conversations. They have all came to me with questions here and there so my approach must be working. I found some age appropriate books at the book store and we just sat down and talk. My oldest were maybe 7 when we started doing that.

My parents never sat me down and talked about it, I just think I always knew what went on. My mum is a doctor see and worked in a Women's Health/Family Planning Center and I always used to go there after daycare and wait for her to finish. Anyway, they always had sex ed and health videos playing in the waiting room and I learnt from that.

Seriously I don't think it's that big a deal, little kids don't understand it enough for it to be a big deal. It's only once you get older that you realise that that is what actually happens to you that you start to think about it.

I reckon get em while they're young and you'll be fine no matter what your approach - books, videos or talking. Good luck!

AlisonPower said:
I've always been very open with them about techinical terms for their bodies and while it's made me go red a few times in Target when my oldest expounds on what makes men and women different in the check out line I think they are comfortable with their bodies which was my goal.

They've made me turn red a few times as well getting used to that kind of openness. :mrgreen:

It's not a big deal... Until you realise... Your parents had to do IT to make YOU!

Completely grose. And then you go on making yourself believe that they did IT to have YOU, and it never ever happened again.

Aha...

My parents showed us a video, it was called "where did I come from?" there was also a book.

Then we had the "family planning van" come to our school every year..

Thanks for all the suggestions. We're going to look at some Puppies this weekend and it might be a good time to get a book to read to them. I'd rather they learn it from us first instead of kids at school.

Completely grose. And then you go on making yourself believe that they did IT to have YOU, and it never ever happened again.
I think that was the case...

My parents showed us a video, it was called "where did I come from?" there was also a book.
Your parents made a video and a book for you? As good as it was for them to do so it's still rather disgusting.

I think we have already discussed this topic sometwhere :) yeah I learned about it at school... my parents have never talked about this to me (or I don't remember!)

ferny said:
I think that was the case...

Your parents made a video and a book for you? As good as it was for them to do so it's still rather disgusting.

My parents didn't MAKE the book and video! You can buy them. And I don't think its graphic. It's made for 4 year olds.

I think I always just waited for them to come up and ask and just give the answer they wanted. For at first it is of no importance to young children how they got to being in their mommy's tummy. At first all they need to know is that they start there and grow there. Later the question will come up of how ever a baby gets OUT there, and then, even later, how they get IN there. By that time, there will be other sources, too, and it's up to you to kind of sort and filter the information.

In Germany, as of the 2nd grade, they have sex ed in school, all the info given going with the age groups, so that even children whose parents don't talk about sex related things at home can learn about it. I have a general feeling that talking about all things sex related (nakedness, body parts, bodily functions and so on up to talking about how the babies get INSIDE in the first place) is easier in my country than it is in the States (?). But I don't know...

I was never sat down to talk about it either. I just sort of knew with time and maturity. Schools here have sex education, which showed videos and discussed it briefly.
Is it true that in america, schools couple up and get given a baby doll which there made to look after? now THAT would have been fun. bwhah.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back