The blue mosque

Sorry. Neither of us is "motcon" and "motcon" no longer comes to TPF.

I didn't even defend my photograph, I never said whether it's good or not.

It's not like I am blind, and it's not like I didn't notice it's blue, the sky wasn't white that day, it was more of a blue gray, there wasn't less of a blue, I had a filter that should warm the photograph a little, it was a dark day.

And I liked how everything is blue, and I like the photo as blue, I gave it to the criticism forum, not to hear what could make it better, and how the 6 minarets are not shown, because it's done and I ma not going back there, I am looking for a critique, not a correction. I was looking for yeah it works for me or no it doesn't and because. I was not looking for words like the sky ain't white or the grass ain't green.

This is my photograph, it's not made according to your imagination, obviously you don't like it, so thank you. It's not that I don't appreciate suggestions, but I don't believe that this is what this forum is made for, I had a series of this mosque, with 6 minarets or on its own at night with the light show...But this is some other angle, some other view, and some photograph. And it stands as it is. It doesn't work for you, I understand, but this is not a critique.

This is the blue mosque on a blue day. And the sky wasn't white Skieur, it was after sunset and it was blue, and it's warmer than it should be actually...

I think actually you've missed the point of critique, because you did back pedal and defend your image when people pointed out things that didn't work, and you did fall on the excuse of "it's my photo, and this is what I wanted. People pointing out things about your photo that don't work (for them) is all they can do. This is art, and there is no right and wrong, so a critique can only be filled with opinions.

plus I think some words were swallowed the wrong way ... I think some things on here which appeared rude-ish were by no means meant that way ...

Excuse me ...
...disappointment, I understand you don't understand that. Or else you wouldn't have to jump on the wagon, to tell me that's how it is and if you don't like it keep your stuff for yourself...!!

I'd hate for you to quit posting, you live in an area I'd like to see more of. I suggest you maybe post in a gallery though, and ask for comments. That way if people don't like it, they are more apt to keep "stuff" to themselves.

I think actually you've missed the point of critique, because you did back pedal and defend your image when people pointed out things that didn't work, and you did fall on the excuse of "it's my photo, and this is what I wanted. People pointing out things about your photo that don't work (for them) is all they can do. This is art, and there is no right and wrong, so a critique can only be filled with opinions.

No, I didn't back pedal, there's a difference between defending something and explaining why I did what I did.

There's a difference between asking for a critique on some photograph, and asking a general opinion.

Opinion could be something like well it could have been better with 6 minarets and color corrections, it's more of a style pointing out the wrong, rather than a comment,

Definitions of a critique:
[SIZE=-1]an essay or article that gives a critical evaluation
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]a person who offers a value judgment or an interpretation
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]constructive criticism of the effectiveness of a work or the appropriateness of the choices made by a creator or performer, based on established criteria as appropriate for the given circumstances
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Discuss the strong and weak points and give the results of your own analysis

In the general gallery I expect to get these comments, the sky is white, and why didn't you show the 6 minarets.

But I expect in the critique forum, to get more than that, and when I ask for more, I don't expect that someone will tell me you better keep your stuff to yourself, I don't and I won't, here or there...

Probably this is the concept of criticism around here, but if i need more, why not ask for it??

LaFoto, who is motcon???
[/SIZE]

I'd hate for you to quit posting, you live in an area I'd like to see more of. I suggest you maybe post in a gallery though, and ask for comments. That way if people don't like it, they are more apt to keep "stuff" to themselves.

I didn't ask anyone to keep stuff for themselves, I asked for more...

There's a huge difference to me between PNA's first post and the second, I appreciate the second more, the second was more of a critique, more of an analysis, rather than just a general comment or judgement...

In short...

When I looked at this the first time, my impression was that the OP was bringing a lot of his memories along when he posted this. It would seem that the intent was to use the curving sweep of the fence to introduce the mosque as a looming presence.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. There is way too much going on, the subject of the picture is unclear, the overall blue is murky rather than transcendent, the outlines of the mosque are hidden by the mass of trees, the light cars in front and the people sitting on benches attract the eye as much as any element in the picture. The other buildings are discordant to the outline of the mosque. The sky is uninteresting and the brightest point in the image is a light in the air behind the mosque.

I didn't say all this the first time because there were already a couple of negative comments and it seemed like piling on.

When I looked at this the first time, my impression was that the OP was bringing a lot of his memories along when he posted this. It would seem that the intent was to use the curving sweep of the fence to introduce the mosque as a looming presence.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. There is way too much going on, the subject of the picture is unclear, the overall blue is murky rather than transcendent, the outlines of the mosque are hidden by the mass of trees, the light cars in front and the people sitting on benches attract the eye as much as any element in the picture. The other buildings are discordant to the outline of the mosque. The sky is uninteresting and the brightest point in the image is a light in the air behind the mosque.

I didn't say all this the first time because there were already a couple of negative comments and it seemed like piling on.

Thank you, and that really helped...

Strictly speaking critique should only be a small part personal opinion and that has caused some confusion here.

There are two elements: technique and composition. Technique involves technical excellence including white balance and colour correction. Composition involves all the artistic elements.

The basic question is does an element of technique or composition in the photo contribute to, or weaken the centre of interest or the effectiveness and impact of the photo.

In this case the blue tone causes the mosque to blend into the photo and reduces its impact for the viewer. Whether you see this or not depends on your photographic eye for detail, which is based on experience. It is not a matter of personal opinion.

Bottom line, I suppose is that anyone can like weak photos but a weak photo does not become a strong effective photo simply because it is praised by a few of the photographers friends, for example. A general objective view obtained in a more public forum such as this is likely to have more validity... assuming of course, that there is a lot of collective experience among those doing the critique. :D

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back