The Boat

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
At long last, here I am becoming daring, too, putting up my very first picture into the Critique Gallery. I may have posted it before, but that was before the Critique Gallery had been added, so there: pick me apart (but be gentle, this is one of my personal favourites and I have just entered it into a competition - without asking your permission first ;)):

Boot.jpg

Ah mate. It's such a simple shot. BUT I LIKE IT ALOT!

I can't even suggest how to improve it. Maybe the front of the boat is a little over-exposed and the back a little under exposed - but I still like it.

2Stupid2Duck said:

I can't even suggest how to improve it. Maybe the front of the boat is a little over-exposed and the back a little under exposed - but I still like it.

I agree with what he said. I don't know what else I would do, but I do know that I liked this shot as soon as I saw it! It really reminds me of something Darfion would paint!

Beautifully simplistic. Great shot.
the rear of the boat may be a little under exposed, but I think in this case it is needed.

Thank you for your kind replies.
What has always appealed to me most is that both boat and water are of the same colours: light-blue and orange (kind of). It was a very low evening light when I took it. And the red of the flag is the only contrast - maybe along with the pole that the boat is attached to.

I'll let you know if it becomes "Photo of the Month" in my local paper ;)

I hope you're not too hurt by these guys brutal critiques. :lol:

It is certainly a beautiful, classic, peaceful shot. I tried hard to find some things to critique but couldn't come up with much.

If it were mine I'd consider some very subtle use of the dodge and burn tools to get the exposure a little more even front to back. You might also soften the hard lines of the boat just a little bit so that it fits the "painted" look of the picture even more. Maybe even play around with both less and more color saturation to see what effects you get.

Hope you win!

2Stupid2Duck said:

While I agree with that opinion, I have to ask one thing; What could be done to avoid those over- and under exposures? I think it would be nice if people who give their sincere opinion here, would offer a solution to the "problem"...

Since I am very much a newbie, I would definitely benefit from such comments.

Just my $.02...

It's a little hard to critique as I know in prior post your scanner is not very good.

Before posting have you tried using neat image, there is alot of noise and i think that is coming from reproduction? As far as composition the picture looks really good. You managed to balance the underexposure in the back of the boat overexposure on the side of the boat, your picture seems to be right on the edge. I wounder in a case like this if it wouldn't be better to loose the detail in the back of the boat and just balance the exposure on the side as that and the reflection is what makes the picture? Not sure myself. Hope this makes sense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back