The Body Project (:

I took a look at your photostream yesterday; since I've never had any formal training or studio time, I don't really feel qualified to critique them, but I will say I think they're quite striking. I really enjoy your use of shadows, especially on the nudes. I can definitely see improvement in your work between the two models.

@Paul Ron: p.s.: it's spelled sense.

You college kids have no sence of yumor either. I'm typing too fast n always make two many misteaks. I think I have a good sense of it now.

BTW I just took a look at your final pics... nice work.

Last edited:
Looks like you're getting the hang of it. :)

Beds are cool, wooden floors are too. Leading lines and all of that- maybe a dance hall or practice floor? A balance beam might be the ticket and there should be one of those around somewhere. Juxtaposing between the hard and straight and the soft and curved can be much like light and shadow.

Keep it up!

mike

Beds are cool, wooden floors are too. Leading lines and all of that- maybe a dance hall or practice floor? A balance beam might be the ticket and there should be one of those around somewhere. Juxtaposing between the hard and straight and the soft and curved can be much like light and shadow.

Keep it up!

mike
Yea, I'd agree but I don't have access to an empty dancehall to be shooting nude friends.:lol:

@Paul Ron: p.s.: it's spelled sense.

You college kids have no sence of yumor either. I'm typing too fast n always make two many misteaks. I think I have a good sense of it now.

BTW I just took a look at your final pics... nice work.
Lmao, I don't have a sense of humor? Fanni. On to the next one...:er:

Keep it up!

mike
Yea, I'd agree but I don't have access to an empty dancehall to be shooting nude friends.:lol:

Just tell the owner you and your friends want to get naked and take some pictures inside. You'll find someone to give you access quickly :lol::lol::lol:

I like the shots.
I do agree with the idea of more tension/mystery to the shots.
Nudes can be interesting (at least to me) in a few ways:
1. Mystery. Show me enough to recognize the parts I am looking at... but not right away.
2. Form. Show me the human body in a way that makes me stop and really look at it. I have seen plenty of bodies but a really great nude will make you stare over and over again. And not to drool.

That being said.

I like The Body X. The curve of the back is nice, had you shot this with a little more contrast it would have accentuated the flesh a little more.
The Body IX, crop that a lot closer and kick up the contrast and you have a really great shot.

I do admit to liking contrasty nudes.
Here is an example of one of mine for you to rip in to. Tit for tat... uh, that was completely unintentional.
img_2665-edit.jpg

Old thread, and it probably doesn't matter much anymore, but I think Body XXVII could have been improved by cropping the top just past the subject's right shoulder line (image: left). Then there is a nice line leading out of the upper right corner, and it helps emphasize the same line in the arm.

-Every good* post matters, don't be silly. Too bad I'm too lazy to see which photo you're talking about white. -_- I will check maybe tomorrow and edit this shxtty reply. ;P
-Thanks for your input Anim8me.

This semester my project is going to be on Young Adults/Teenagers (age 18+), I'm going along the same lines as Larry Clark with his Teenage Lust, but not as explicit. I would if I had the models for it. lol. But, yeaaah. There will be plenty of implied sex, nudity, drugs and liquor. :) First critique is on 9/20 and I still haven't shot shxt. Yay meee.

Roger out, people. :)

Don't feel like making a whole new thread, so I'll continue on this one.

The new project called TeenEDGE is still about Teens/Young Adults but it's now gonna have more about their behaviors, activities, habits, and insecurities. The first prints only came up to three because I wanted to conserve paper and although I took 2 36 exposure rolls, one roll came out with the most usable shots. So the 3 I printed are on my Flickr...which now is rated Moderate since Flickr thinks the Body Project may offend someone. Pfff.

I like what you've done so far, and I think the concept has huge potential.

Go beyond the stereotype. Not saying your images are cliche; for me, personally, I have discovered that I get closer to an idea's true potential the longer I work with it.

Don't feel like making a whole new thread, so I'll continue on this one.

The new project called TeenEDGE is still about Teens/Young Adults but it's now gonna have more about their behaviors, activities, habits, and insecurities.

I'm curious, are you looking at normal young adults? You appear to have included a picture of someone snorting lines of ?cocaine?

The first prints only came up to three because I wanted to conserve paper and although I took 2 36 exposure rolls, one roll came out with the most usable shots.

It's possible to scan the negatives instead of the prints. You might want to try that if you have some pictures you want to digitize.

The pictures are really impressive. If the others are anything like that, definitely keep up the good work!

I noticed you mentioned that you weren't able to pull. If you like low contrast and fine grain, why shoot an iso 400 film, why not, say, shoot iso 80 with more lighting? I ask because it seems like all your shots are with TMax 400 but none are at ISO 400

@white: thanks!
@vautrin: i live in miami, cocaine is "normal" haha..it's an underground scene. I always wanted to take a shot of it anyways, it fascinate me! (not the drug..just photographing it..x_x lol). I rather just scan the prints cuz I do have to make them anyways for critique.
I usually do pull when I'm shooting Tri-x 400 (not tmax! ;P) cuz the contrast is sometimes overbearing and the grain is finer and i always get nice tonalities, but this time my light meter didn't do so well with the light under 200 so i had to do 400. I actually love tri-x, the Body Project was done entirely on it and produced wonderful tones and images for me. :) I'm just gonna increase my light quality so I can shoot at my normal 200. [: Alsooo, I know about the cliche thing, I'm trying really hard not to fall in there. I decided to challenge myself with this subject, but with critiques every 2 weeks and juggling 4 other hard as$ classes..it's a real struggle to even get shots! lol. Thank you for your encouragement, I'll keep you guys informed.

PS: Define normal? Boring?! Hell nooo. I'm shooting TeenEDGE which means interesting individuals only. Haha ;P

Expect soon:
*graffiti
*smoking
*more self consciousness
*sexxxxx haha..;)

Most reactions

Back