The Boston Subway - Banjo Man

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm starting to bring my camera with me on the train, and hoping to get an interesting moment or two here and there to sort of share in the experience. One of the things I'm particularly attracted to are the subway performers. Today will be my first installment.

c/c welcome if desired.

Banjo%20Man%20-%20236%20bw.jpg

BTW, as I whipped out my camera he started playing Beverly Hillbillies. The song that got me interested in Banjo and why I have one sitting in the corner of my office. :) Interesting.

A few thoughts, I hope you don't mind...

- Love the subject and the specific moment you captured here
- The image seems to have a good tonal range, yet it looks a bit dark – maybe 1/2 stop underexposed? (could just be my monitor). In any case, I'd like to see more detail on the gentleman's body, the speaker, the case, and the dog.
- ...speaking of which... I only "found" the dog after scanning the image for a little while. I might be wrong, but that looks like a guide dog. If so, this angle – showing the dog almost as an afterthought – made you leave a meaningful part of the story out.
- The background in the far left seems a bit distracting to me – if you agree, that should be an easy fix.

I'm no street photographer so these are thoughts that I'm pulling out of my rear end. Take them for what they are worth :)

invisible said:
A few thoughts, I hope you don't mind...

- Love the subject and the specific moment you captured here
- The image seems to have a good tonal range, yet it looks a bit dark – maybe 1/2 stop underexposed? (could just be my monitor). In any case, I'd like to see more detail on the gentleman's body, the speaker, the case, and the dog.
- ...speaking of which... I only "found" the dog after scanning the image for a little while. I might be wrong, but that looks like a guide dog. If so, this angle – showing the dog almost as an afterthought – made you leave a meaningful part of the story out.
- The background in the far left seems a bit distracting to me – if you agree, that should be an easy fix.

I'm no street photographer so these are thoughts that I'm pulling out of my rear end. Take them for what they are worth :)

You hit on my concerns perfectly, actually. :)

To get the composition I wanted the dig wound up being snubbed. I have like 40 shots of this and this was my closest to perfect... But not perfect. If I could have even has the dogs head up that would have been great, but this was an older working dog and he was not so easily manipulated by little sounds and such. That in itself was interesting but befuddling. Lol

I'm not sure on the distractions. I'll have to look again when I get to work.

The darkness was on purpose. It was actually overexposed (intentionally) when I took it. Still, I'll look at it again. I don't always get my b/ws right the first time.

Thanks for the very thoughtful comments!

Excellent image... but i really wanted to see the 'down to Earth' nose of it.... the banjo box is the villain, may be....But of course an alert up looking dog would not help this image a bit... and i could not understand what is those leads behind the dog....
The image would have been incomplete without that dog

Regards :D

Hi Chris , I find the photo to be top-notch . However , I seem to loose the "Lid " of the Banjo case in the gentleman's legs .I think a small amount of exposure increase will help this (or selectively lighten ,just the lid ?) ,and not loose the moodiness of the shot.......That said , I would prefer to loose the lid ,than the mood , so it may be at it's best now .?

I think you are cheating yourself on this one.
Lighten his face and the dog and everything becomes more poignant.
Craggy face, guide dog with wounded paw - what a shot.

$Banjo-Man---236-bw33333.jpg

Oh, and make your logo BW.
A piece of color in a BW picture pulls the eye like a topless female in a football game.

First of all, thanks for the comments everyone! Really appreciate it!

Excellent image... but i really wanted to see the 'down to Earth' nose of it.... the banjo box is the villain, may be....But of course an alert up looking dog would not help this image a bit... and i could not understand what is those leads behind the dog....
The image would have been incomplete without that dog

I had originally cropped out the remainder of the dog's harness because the edge of the picture had a person carting their bags towards the train and there wasn't a way to reconcile this without editing, which I ---try--- not to do. However, it WAS bothering me... so your comments led me over the edge and i edited out the person for this latest version.

Hi Chris , I find the photo to be top-notch . However , I seem to loose the "Lid " of the Banjo case in the gentleman's legs .I think a small amount of exposure increase will help this (or selectively lighten ,just the lid ?) ,and not loose the moodiness of the shot.......That said , I would prefer to loose the lid ,than the mood , so it may be at it's best now .?

It was actually pretty tough to balance... let me know what you think of the new version. The man was lit from behind, which really brings a lot to the mood I think (and I allowed that intentionally vs using a flash), but... it also leads to the case being very VERY dark.

I think you are cheating yourself on this one.
Lighten his face and the dog and everything becomes more poignant.
Craggy face, guide dog with wounded paw - what a shot.

View attachment 6269

Ok. :) Let me know what you think of my latest try. I gather that means you like the shot then. :lol: Thanks for the feedback, Lew.

Oh, and make your logo BW.
A piece of color in a BW picture pulls the eye like a topless female in a football game.

HAHAHAHA... noted and fixed. :)

BTW, you may all also notice one other bit of surgery. I really wanted the composition a little tighter, but I had to do one more unfortunate edit in order to get it to where I really wanted it. I feel guilty, but I'm happier with the result.

Let me know what you think...

Banjo%20Man%20-%20236%20rev2%20bw.jpg

Maybe not perfect (the dog could be a puppy) but a really fine, fine, fine shot, imo - one I'd like to have taken.

I like the second one MUCH ,better . (Not that the first wasn't great ) BUT (lol) The three letters behind him (T E R ) , well , they are just pulling my eye too much ,
Of course ,as you know ,I'm not a "Purest" so if It were my photo , I would make them vanish . I'm also amazed how much the completed part of the "Dog handle " added to the photo .

P.S. This photo (To me ) is better than your ,"boss at the desk" photo or ,"The Library" photo ,(Both Prize winners ) so, YEAH , It's Good !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back