The Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography is no more.

smyth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An article in the Ottawa Citizen a couple of days ago revealed that the Museum's home has been taken over by Public Works and Government Services to be converted into meeting spaces and committee rooms. The search for a permanent home for the museum has now stopped, and for the foreseeable future the collection will simply be displayed at the National Gallery of Canada.

This is truly disappointing, and it shows how little this conservative government in Canada cares for the arts. The Ottawa Citizen article is entitled 'The Trashing of a Crown Jewel' and it couldn't be more right.

The trashing of a crown jewel

How disappointing. As you say, it shows a callous disregard of the photographic arts by the government, to take away the display space like that.

Peace. Not familiar with the gallery, but it sounds like a full on disregard for the arts. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. More and more I feel the arts are taking the brunt of the financial burden (definitely in the U.S.A not so sure about Canada). We will not see the effects of such cuts until it is too late.

Love & Bass

Peace. Not familiar with the gallery, but it sounds like a full on disregard for the arts. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors. More and more I feel the arts are taking the brunt of the financial burden (definitely in the U.S.A not so sure about Canada). We will not see the effects of such cuts until it is too late.

Love & Bass

Well, what's the worst that can happen? We become souless?

Maybe because Canada doesn't have a strong enough contemporary scene to warrant having an entire venue for it? Not to be rude, but before you get super defensive about how the government 'hates arts', maybe consider that although Canada has held it's own in recent times (2000s) in terms of commercial photography, it lacks a strong art photography scene?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back