The Canon, Apple comparison

MadMartigan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I was at my local camera shop in Pasadena (Samy's) and overheard two customers talking about the Canon/Nikon rivalry. This is a debate that I never get tired of hearing, especially when they are fresh perspectives. Anyway, towards the end of the conversation, one of them said, "Canon is like Apple. They are moving forward while Nikon is like Microsoft and stands still." "Ya your right" the other guy said. Before I start what will undoubtedly be another Canon/Nikon (and probably a Apple/Microsoft) debate, I was just wondering what you guys think about that generalization. I found it interesting, though I tend to disagree. I think that these are much closer in engineering that the computer juggernauts. Anyway, thoughts?

They have no idea of what their talking about, thats what I think. One example is Canon 5DMIII is just like a 5DMII 2.0 its everything the 5DMII should of been. D800 is a totally new experience. IMHO.

If Canon is Apple and Nikon is Microsoft, I guess that makes Pentax Linux. That even kinda makes sense. Pentax/Linux - A good, capable choice - but they have no advertising and nobody knows they exist. :lol:

Well, I was at my local camera shop in Pasadena (Samy's) and overheard two customers talking about the Canon/Nikon rivalry. This is a debate that I never get tired of hearing, especially when they are fresh perspectives. Anyway, towards the end of the conversation, one of them said, "Canon is like Apple. They are moving forward while Nikon is like Microsoft and stands still." "Ya your right" the other guy said. Before I start what will undoubtedly be another Canon/Nikon (and probably a Apple/Microsoft) debate, I was just wondering what you guys think about that generalization. I found it interesting, though I tend to disagree. I think that these are much closer in engineering that the computer juggernauts. Anyway, thoughts?

Kind of amusing, overhearing the ill-informed and clueless...Canon is the company that is standing still...well, actually falling behind...

But whatever...Canon is still trying to figure out a way to make a decent color-aware light metering system...and still trying to figure out how to eliminate high levels of shadow noise at one notch above base ISO in its full-frame sensor...yeah...Canon, "moving forward" means three years and one extra megapixel and another $800 in price...lol...Nikon means three years and moving from 12 to 36 megapixels--And delivering a camera with no light leaking through the LCD panel...hilarious...Canon...three consecutive postponements of its new, lower-megapxel count 1Dx!!! It's like Windows NT 4 over there at Canon HQ...who here remembers that totally irrelevant Windows Nice Try idea???

"I really don’t care which camera system is better than the other. I have no loyalty to either brand, or any brand for that matter. All I care about is features, functionality and performance". That about sums up how I feel about the whole debate.

Canon is still trying to figure out a way to make a decent color-aware light metering system...
Not trying to start anything, but what's wrong with canon's current metering system?

I like Sony, so there... I think both Nikon and Canon are good brand, and given that camera is not as fast evolving as other electronics (becasue optics, which is NOT digital, still plays SUCH a large role), they are not forced to upgrade as fast. That being said, one of the key lessons from Jobs was to make things simple and intuitive, so much so, that you did not really need any manuals. I think there is yet to be a camera manufacturer that can even come close to this. On the other hand, I have yet to see a caamera that needs to be shut down and restarted as often as i have to do this on my PC, so they are not as bad as Microsoft either...

Most reactions

Back