The Catcher in the Rye

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I see J.D Salinger died recently and obviously it reminded me of his famous/infamous book The Catcher in the Rye... I read it when I was about 17/18 (approx 15 years ago), it was recommended highly by a friend. He'd read it several times and said it was great.

When I actually got around to reading it myself I was really disappointed. I found it thoroughly boring and a chore to finish. I hated it.

I leant it to two other friends, one thought it was so bad he couldn't finish it. The other finished it but hated it too.

I know it is generally considered a 'Classic', and I will probably be the in minority on this one, but... anyone else think this book is over-rated?

No I don't. But then again I love to read. Also, you are in England and it may not be as understandable to you although it has been translated in many languages and sold in many countries outside the USA.

Maybe has something to do with your age. Too young or too old to understand that generation's brand of angst, etc. Like my parents didn't get the deal with the movies and persona of James Dean...

I enjoyed it. I don't understand why it became such a huge success, but then I'm not from that generation so it's probable that I just don't understand how they felt.

That said, even though I'm not from Salinger's generation, I did find that the book brought out feelings in me. As I explained to someone after I initially read it, "I don't know why but the book made me feel angry." So maybe there is something about the book that just 'clicks' with certain people, and not with others? I don't know.

All classics are so over rated.
Huck Finn-Awful
Scarlett Letter- Horrible
Great Gatsby- Awful.

I read half of it for class but had to spark note the rest

I think its so famous becuase teachers think it has some magical teaching properties or some bs like that.

I think its so famous becuase teachers think it has some magical teaching properties or some bs like that.

Yes, it just does not have the same relevance and meaningful nature as an episode of Jersey Shore, or an episode of Lost, and nothing quite like the meaningful exploration of social issues,like the stuff on reality TV.

It's all words....so boring....

Yes, it just does not have the same relevance and meaningful nature as an episode of Jersey Shore, or an episode of Lost, and nothing quite like the meaningful exploration of social issues,like the stuff on reality TV.

I dont watch tv...but good try! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure about it being an issue of different era's and cultures, a good book will transcend them. Maybe The Catcher's became dated then, and somewhat irrelevant?

I think one of the things that turned me off the book is that it's a blunt pandering to the cynical side of the reader, the "everyone's a phoney, the worlds gone crazy, I am the only decent person, no one understands me" side. And also the narcissistic side of a personality, the "I am the cleverest here, I've got you figured out, I am the saviour of other people, if only they'd realise".

This is probably why it has appealed so much to teenagers, conspiracy theorists, and serial killers through out the years.

I was forced to read it in high school. I didn't like it then, but thinking about it now, I think I would really like it. I remember bits and pieces of it. I have actually bought books my teachers high school made us read and read them again and actually enjoyed them.

I'd love to know how anyone ever makes it all the way through Anna Karenina, speaking of classic literature. I had to read it, and didn't get very far.

Fist Pump!:thumbup::p

Hmm, I read it in 10th grade but I can't remember..that was 4 years ago. *_* I always loved English though..:)

Scarlet Letter was actually, really good, in my opinion.
One Fly Over the Cuckoo's Nest, another good one.

Most reactions

Back