The changing field of professional cameras

Sony is an absolutely horrible company. I would never purchase their products for any reason. I know they make a theoretically viable third choice in the dslr market, but their politics, their constant (usually failed) attempts at proprietary strangleholds on their customers, piss poor quality and ergonomics and make them a pariah in my eyes and the eyes of many.
Good grief, Sony in conjunction with Phillips is responsible for the Compact Disk, Cassette tape, DVD I think etc. etc. They didn't get to be as big and successful by doing everything wrong. Anybody who knows anything about VCRs will tell you that Beta was far superior to VHS. Sony definitely screwed up where Beta was concerned but, they are still in the DVD/Blue Ray business. Sony also makes some of the best professional microphones money can buy. There contributions to the audio industry go without saying. There contributions to the video industry also go without saying. Now they want a piece of the professional still camera market. I wonder what percentage of all the digital cameras, from cell phones to large format, Sony is already making the sensors for? You folks who hate Sony so much probably have some of their electronics in your cameras right now.

That's a straw man argument if I ever heard one. So contributing some positives necessarily makes them not suck pond water? No, I really don't think so. There's a VERY handy example I could use, but it's kinda over-the-top, so I'll resist it... if you don't push it... but I bet if you think about it for a moment or two, you'll come on it yourself.

I was once a HUGE Sony fan... whenever I bought an electronic device, it would unquestionably be a Sony. Until I started to notice that everything I bought kinda sucked... or locked me into some STUPID proprietary piss-poor technology. (Can you say memory stick??? I knew you could.) Toss in 3 TVs, and not a single one had the same remote control or remote layout. Then they started suing 13 year old kids and grandmothers for stealing their music. Oh and then they started putting rootkits on their music CDs that would silently install on your system when you put the CD into your computer. Somewhere in there they also crushed the HD DVD movement by calling up the media houses and saying "Hey, um... yeah, you want to publish our movies? Bluray or nothing."

Yeah. Nice @#$@#$ company.

Simple fact is the CEO even came out in the past 5 years or so and said "Oh my god we suck." I'd find you the article, but ... meh.

And yes, Sony's stuff is everywhere... which is why I always eye my laptops with suspicion for fear that they will burst into flames on an airplane.

Go do a little research, man.

and the thread evolves.... and avoids death.

Just bought the latest version 46' LED Sony 1080p 240Hz Bravia in a negotiated packaged deal with a GE dishwasher. Our dishwasher broke 4 months ago and our 36' CRT TV was about 15 years old. So I pulled out some cash at the local appliance store and started to negotiate. So far so good. Nice features and integrates well with their soundbar and BD/DVD player. The SoundBar and Player take commands from the TV which simplifies its operation (good for my wife and kid). Netflix and Pandora all set up. I have my old/nice 2 channel amp + speakers hooked to it as well. It was more for my wife as I don't watch TV that often.

Not really a brand loyalist (I don't buy consumer audio/video stuff very often) but I didn't realize how much of Sony's reputation had turned on them... I'm still thinking of the Sony from late 80's and 90's. . interesting..

Smith’s Equipment
Sony α900 cameras
Sony 100mm ƒ/2.8 lens
Sony Zeiss 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 zoom lens
Sony Zeiss 85mm ƒ/1.4 lens
Sony Zeiss 135mm ƒ/1.8 lens
Profoto Pro-7 2400Ws packs and heads

Brian Smith is a Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer and one of the Sony Artisans of Imagery. His photographs of famous and infamous faces of the noteworthy and notorious have appeared on the covers and pages of hundreds of magazines. See more of his photography at his website,
www.briansmith.com.

So, no pros use sony cameras, eh? Want more examples?

skieur

I thought this thread was about the A77 not the A900. As others have already stated the A900 is a great body......

Most reactions

Back