🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/3LqnCuJ 🎁

The Coffee House

@webestang64 Wow a 133 year old house, if those walls could talk, the stories they could tell. Good luck, just be careful the term "rehab" covers a lot of territory, especially on an old house like that. Totally forgot my cousins daughter is a realtor in St. Louis, if yours doesn't work out you might contact her, https://bethmuckerman.worthclark.com/ her mom and I talk about every week.
Thanks! Hoping to add my own story. Apparently the lady who has lived there for 7 years (friend of my realtor) has all the permits and paid receipts of work done (28k) including a oversized one car garage with electric built 2 years ago. Plus it's 5k less than the other disaster house.

Going shopping tonight. Having lived in an apartment so long, I haven't done an oil change or lube job on a car for years and pretty much gave a lot of things away. This weekend I'm knocking out both on MLSIL's Saturn and our Honda. I have a filter wrench (finally brought my tools up from storage) and found my old ramps in the shed, but I need a creeper and will eventually need a pair (or two) of jack stands and a floor jack. I also need a drain tub for the old oil, a grease gun, and of course the oil and filters.

I've been looking for a reason to get greasy again; as a teen I spent one summer working in a junkyard and another as a mechanic's assistant at a beer and wine distributer.

Hate to tell how old I am but speaking of rent prices. When my wife and I first married we rented a house for $110 a month. The landlady who lived next door knocked off $10 a month if I mowed her yard when I mowed mine. And used her riding mower, lol, so naturally I did. Of course, this was the mid 70's and my annual income was in the $5 to $6k range.

I haven't been around much. I was ill last month and not feeling 100%. Went to Mexico still dragging, but hey someone has to lay on that lounger. The downside is I didn't take photo walks because still tired and high heat index. We did make it Playa del Carmen one evening for dinner and did not do our usual 12+ block walk.

I've been painting the last 2 days the sunroom. Did the yearly deep cleaning and this year I painted the trim and 3 doors. Glad I am done with the heat wave starting today. Back in the day I could paint 8 hours straight. Now have to do it in small stretched. Although scooting on the floor for 3 hours yesterday was a bit much. I kept thinking we need to hire out!

I haven't been around much. I was ill last month and not feeling 100%. Went to Mexico still dragging, but hey someone has to lay on that lounger. The downside is I didn't take photo walks because still tired and high heat index. We did make it Playa del Carmen one evening for dinner and did not do our usual 12+ block walk.

I've been painting the last 2 days the sunroom. Did the yearly deep cleaning and this year I painted the trim and 3 doors. Glad I am done with the heat wave starting today. Back in the day I could paint 8 hours straight. Now have to do it in small stretched. Although scooting on the floor for 3 hours yesterday was a bit much. I kept thinking we need to hire out!
Hopefully you are feeling better now.

I hope all is well! Take your time and let yourself recover before you start pushing yourself.

I've been looking for a reason to get greasy again;
I got lazy couple weeks ago. Took my F350 into the dealer for oil change, fuel filters. Almost $400. 🙄 Guess I know who'll be doing it next time.

@Cheryl hope you're on the mend quickly. You know once you reach those "golden years" you have to remember to pace yourself. 😉

@Rickbb Bought my first house in 73, 3 bedroom, 1 bath, ranch with carport, 25K, and yes it was a lot based on my income at the time.

In grad school, I rented a house with three other people. Rent was a total of $1200/month, so $300 each. Three floors, (four including the not-totally-finished-but-not-a-murder-basement), six bedrooms, three bathrooms, and a small back yard. That was in Pittsburgh. I still think about that house. We called it the Funky House. The walls were painted with that sort of popcorn technique, so the walls were great for when we had an itch on our backs and we'd rub up on it like bears, though some of the peaks in the paint were sharp enough that we all at one point or another drew blood if we brushed up against it while walking past. We used to have parties and invite our students (we were all grad students in linguistics and taught ESL classes as TAs.) Those were fun parties. Truly international. The Japanese students were always early. The Europeans arrived next, except for the Spanish - they arrived the latest with the South Americans. The Koreans (damn, could they drink!), Taiwanese, and West Africans were somewhere in between. After one party that went particularly long and hard, we spent the entire next day all piled on the couch together, watching movies, ordering delivery for every meal, and recovering.

Damn, it's been a while since it took me only one day to recover from social activity. These days, it takes me three days to recover from a long phone conversation 🤣 (To be fair, that's just as much about being an incurable introvert as it is about getting old.)

Last edited:
Toronto Still Here

We had weather warnings in the afternoon that heavy winds were possible from about 16:00 to 20:00. Well, it's 20:34 and not much happened. I guess we survived. :)

Welcome to The Coffee House, where there is no competition, no Leaderboard, no C&C, and no stress. It was started by small group of TPF gnomes who not only like photography, but also like to share coffee, cinnamon buns, poems, and stories.

Pull up a seat, grab a cup, and unwind!

View attachment 88454
© Copyright Lewis Clarke and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Thank you for creating such a warm and welcoming space! It's refreshing to find a community centered around shared passions like photography and the simple joys of coffee and storytelling. Looking forward to unwinding here with fellow enthusiasts.

@Cheryl hope you're on the mend quickly. You know once you reach those "golden years" you have to remember to pace yourself. 😉

Ahh yes the Golden years! The hot tub is good for the aches.

@terri @jeffashman @SquarePeg Thanks all! I am easing back into my mini workouts with stretches, balance, pushups and hand weights. I have a few photo sessions this summer with family and friends. I need to get the stamina back up to carry the R6 and the 135мм

Thanks! Hoping to add my own story. Apparently the lady who has lived there for 7 years (friend of my realtor) has all the permits and paid receipts of work done (28k) including a oversized one car garage with electric built 2 years ago. Plus it's 5k less than the other disaster house.

Contract getting signed today, closing July 12th. Oh and that garage....? Well it's a 1-1/2 cars wide and tandem 2 cars (Mustang's) long!

AVHPFi5.jpg

Most reactions

Back