The Coffee House

Camping on the Cape this week. My daughter figured out how to climb out of her pack and play, and the neighbors have about 8 little dogs that won't shut up.

In other words, bedtime is going really well right now.

Gary's orange-lemonade ... refreshing.
IMG_4498.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary's orange-lemonade .

I have a little stronger concoction in mind after my trip to TN last week. It's called Orange Creamsicle Moonshine. I need to gather up a few more ingredients before I can make a batch, but if it turns out as well as the sample I tried. Well lets just say dessert will go to a new level.

Gary's orange-lemonade .

I have a little stronger concoction in mind after my trip to TN last week. It's called Orange Creamsicle Moonshine. I need to gather up a few more ingredients before I can make a batch, but if it turns out as well as the sample I tried. Well lets just say dessert will go to a new level.
Offhand, I'd guess you start with corn, molasses and, if you're in a hurry, yeast.

Offhand, I'd guess you start with corn, molasses and, if you're in a hurry, yeast.

Nah, I'm lazy already bought the "basics" LOL Just have to spend a little time in the kitchen.

I'm interested in Gary's orange liqueur. Been playing mad scientist and turning inocent apple juice into something a bit more harder lately.

I'm interested in Gary's orange liqueur. Been playing mad scientist and turning inocent apple juice into something a bit more harder lately.

I've used freeze distillation to turn hard cider into Apple Jack. It's ok, but I prefer my Apple Pie recipe.

Gary uses vodka as his base. (Okay, he cheats.)

Ingredients:
8 oranges (roughly)
4 cups sugar
1 cup water
4 cups vodka

Cooking:
1) With a vegetable peeler, peel the 8 oranges. Take extreme care not to peel up the pith (white part). The pith is bitter;
2) Juice the oranges. Strain away as much of the solids as possible;
3) In a saucepan add the sugar and water and boil away until clear (simple syrup);
4) Pour 1 cup of orange juice into the simple syrup and bring to boil (sometimes I'll use all the juice, about two cups):
5) Cool the entire mess;
6) Divide and stuff the orange peels into two, 1 liter containers/bottles. I use the kind with the wired in ceramic stopper;
7) Divide and pour the orange/simple syrup stuff into the containers/bottles;
8) Pour 2 cups of vodka into the containers;
9) Seal containers and store in a cool and dark place for 30 days, (mark the calendar); and
10) Drink.

I use this stuff in my Margaritas, Sangria, BBQ sauce and general cooking and drinking. Much different than Grand Marnier which uses cognac as its base. This stuff is less harsh and Much smoother than Grand Marnier.

Last edited:
@Gary A. That sounds pretty good. My computer is updating but I'll copy and save this to try. I'll post up the Apple Pie tomorrow- it's great for fall or winter evening warmer. Will post the other after I try it.

Most reactions

Back