The Coffee House

My new to me car broke down and left me stranded about 20 miles between two cities in the middle of nowhere (the desert). It really sucks because I was looking to get photos for the weekly 70-300 zoom challenge, I have been waiting all week to participate in the challenge but all I got was dehydrated and a sunburn waiting for a rescue. Looking on the bright side though, it was a beautiful 117 degree day. It's to bad I had to spend it stuck on the side of the road waiting on my kid to get my truck and trailer and pick me up. Hopefully I can get in the next challenge.

Oof, that's rough!

Morning all. I'm hoping July will slow down a little for us. Haven't been able to do much photography. Took an extended trip the end of May-first of June through northern Illinois, back through southern Illinois and Indiana.

In the process of buying a lot, on Weiss Lake, about 30 miles from us. We close on the 1st. It's already setup with utilities, decks, a dock and cover. Even comes with a 2019 travel trailer, that we'll probably leave for now. I love our place in the woods, but I miss all those years we lived on the water, now can have both.

This past week the minor surgery on a spot on Sadie Mae's eyelid turned into a little more complicated than we expected. So now, she has to wear the dreaded cone for 10 days. She is definitely not happy.

Have some studio work coming up next month if I can slow down long enough to work it in.

Happy Father's Day
Happy Father's day to you too! Hope you're recovered from the sunburn. That heat sounds freaking awful out there.

Happy Summer Solstice, hosers. Actual time is 11:30pm EDT, I think I saw that earlier. The rain from Claudette that's been around the last couple of days has finally pulled out. Hummingbirds have been going nuts at the feeders.

Raining here again today.

Anybody home?

C04E9276-D20C-44FA-A791-8169FA1EA57E.jpeg

Morning all, just got the bedroom back and started to get straight after living in the front room since end of feb
Now I must be mad as I have arranged to h ave the front room re carpeted and re decorated so everything is up side down. Again
On the photography side
I have just completed my wish list/dream team of lenses
Just added 70 200 mm f2.8 v1 L series
Ok image stabilisation is nice but I started in the days of ASA film speeds and men walked in fron of the cars with red flags
Ok not that far back,,,
I never had IS on lenses so not that worried about it now
Have a good day or whatever time frame at your location

Morning all, just got the bedroom back and started to get straight after living in the front room since end of feb
Now I must be mad as I have arranged to h ave the front room re carpeted and re decorated so everything is up side down. Again
On the photography side
I have just completed my wish list/dream team of lenses
Just added 70 200 mm f2.8 v1 L series
Ok image stabilisation is nice but I started in the days of ASA film speeds and men walked in fron of the cars with red flags
Ok not that far back,,,
I never had IS on lenses so not that worried about it now
Have a good day or whatever time frame at your location

I too started with film, a long time ago. So I know how to shoot a long lens without IS.
But, having used a Nikon 70-200/4 with VR/IS, on an APS-C camera (equiv to a 300 on a FF camera), I won't willingly go back to a non-stabilized long lens (unless the camera has IBIS). IS makes it sooo much easier to shoot, especially as I am getting older.
For me, the unexpected and really appreciated benefit of IS is not for low shutter speed, but IS stabilizes the image in the viewfinder, when I am shooting moving subjects. So that I can HOLD the subject on the AF point, rather than have the subject bounce around the viewfinder.

I know what you mean about the image bouncing about
You know being old school we hold the lens in the cradle of the hand using thumb and finger to focus.
And of course a bean bag or at a push a sock filled with dry rice makes a brill camera support
The sock and rice I have done on many a holiday where I had to limit the kit I could take

Now why does the Daily Mail say that van was rolling slowly (which seems apparent) but knocks a garage wall off the foundation?? Doubt it hit that hard, and it's just somebody's security camera footage. These tabloids... they make mountains out of molehills.

What are you going to make with your berries Leo? I had a vine with tiny strawberries that started growing along the porch but it fizzled out.

I know what you mean about the image bouncing about
You know being old school we hold the lens in the cradle of the hand using thumb and finger to focus.
And of course a bean bag or at a push a sock filled with dry rice makes a brill camera support
The sock and rice I have done on many a holiday where I had to limit the kit I could take

I zoom the way you focus. BUT, I can only do that with the Nikon 70-200/4.
ALL my other zooms have too much drag to zoom with my thumb and fingers. I have to GRAB the zoom ring with my hand so that I can use the larger wrist and arm muscles to turn the zoom ring.

I never took a bean/rice bag on vacation, but that is a good idea.
I would probably get stopped at agriculture inspection.

Morning all. Well I guess my summer hibernation is finally at hand. High heat and humidity is a major Asthma trigger for me. Friday afternoon late we had a rain shower followed by the sun popping back out. The steamy environment triggered an attack that went from bad to worse quickly. Spent 6 hrs in the ER on oxygen and IV steroids, before I could breathe normal again. Not the first time and probably won't be the last this has happened, but it doesn't get any easier. At least there's no waiting at the ER when you show up turning blue and complaining of chest pain. :chuncky:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back