The Coffee House

Likely will be clouded out here as well. Was also hoping for sunset moonrise tonight but 96% cloud cover is a non starter.
We'll try to watch for it but we're due to have clouds building by late afternoon, so I think it'll be a bust here, too. Too bad, since last night's moon was full/near full and very visible from the yard.

It did clear up over here for the eclipse but not for my target which was sunset moonrise.

We had a thunderstorm blow through last night. It was partly cloudy until a little after we got home, then the rain started. Pretty much overcast, today, as well.

There's a litter of kittens underneath our neighbor's deck! We can hear them when the mama comes back. I want to go see them so much, but of course that's a mistake. She'll just move them, and our neighbor actually fosters kittens and works with a rescue group. They're watching and waiting a few more days before attempting to get mama.

The kittens themselves will be easy. They'll be kept together before adoption efforts start. 🐈 😻 🐈‍⬛

There's a litter of kittens underneath our neighbor's deck! We can hear them when the mama comes back. I want to go see them so much, but of course that's a mistake. She'll just move them, and our neighbor actually fosters kittens and works with a rescue group. They're watching and waiting a few more days before attempting to get mama.

The kittens themselves will be easy. They'll be kept together before adoption efforts start. 🐈 😻 🐈‍⬛

KITTENS!!!

(For the record, that was yelled out in a pitch so high that only dogs could hear it.)

I got the second booster, I think... lol every time I go in for anything else they take your temp, and I've been retested a couple of times (asthma, no longer a spring chicken...). I think I've been boosterized and checked within an inch of my life!

Terri - kitties!!!

Leo, same here, counties in my area back under higher risk exposure again! Haven't completely gotten away from wearing a face mask. I'm tired of being one of the responsible ones, if it wasn't so contagious I don't know if I'd care anymore if people won't get vaccinated and make themselves seriously ill. (Of course I don't mean people who have medical reasons to not do it, or who had reactions, etc. that's different than just not doing it for no good reason).

But enough is enough of this already. We lost an awful lot of people early on, what don't people get about that?? Once we had vaccines available that help prevent people from being hospitalized or dying it's senseless that we have to go thru this again.

If people thought about it, they got vaccinated as kids, so what's the big deal about another shot? Of course my work meant getting a flu shot every year, etc. so what's one more vaccination?? People need to get over themselves! lol sheesh.

Today I got a message on Instagram from someone from a local business organization wanting to know if it was ok to use one of my photos on their website and some media publications and of course they would give credit for the photo. I said no not for free thanks but we can talk about licensing the photo for your needs - which is what I always say and then I never hear from them again.

Well today I got a follow up asking for a call to discuss. When I was questioning them about what they wanted to use it for they gave me their website and mentioned some upcoming trade show. They are a non profit that promotes travel to our area.

After a short discussion about their budget, I asked for an email with specifics on how they wanted to use my photo. After we hung up, I went on their website only to find… you guessed it. They already used my photo in this years 2022-2023 travel guide! Uncredited. What is on their website and appears to be a copy of a printed travel guide.

Today I got a message on Instagram from someone from a local business organization wanting to know if it was ok to use one of my photos on their website and some media publications and of course they would give credit for the photo. I said no not for free thanks but we can talk about licensing the photo for your needs - which is what I always say and then I never hear from them again.

Well today I got a follow up asking for a call to discuss. When I was questioning them about what they wanted to use it for they gave me their website and mentioned some upcoming trade show. They are a non profit that promotes travel to our area.

After a short discussion about their budget, I asked for an email with specifics on how they wanted to use my photo. After we hung up, I went on their website only to find… you guessed it. They already used my photo in this years 2022-2023 travel guide! Uncredited. What is on their website and appears to be a copy of a printed travel guide.
That's a bunch of crap! They must know you'd see it, since they gave you the website, so what's your next move? Photo credit would be nice for starters!

Devil's advocate: is it the production website, or possibly a development copy (does the URL show up in a search)?

Spoke to the head of the organization. She confirmed they already “mistakenly” used my photo in the printed guide. She admitted their responsibility for the error explaining that the photo somehow was in their digital files with others that they had permission to use. From our conversation it appears that the business who’s boat is in the photo may have sent it to them last year. They realized their mistake when they went to use it again on their website and didn’t have the photo credit in their file. That’s when they did an image search that led back to me.

She apologized and offered a decent payment for the photo and asked for permission to use it going forward on their website with photo credit. Currently waiting for the details in writing via email.

I guess I could be a jerk and hold their feet to the fire over this but frankly that’s more stress and animosity than I want in my life. If they had contacted me from the start I would probably have let them use it in exchange for photo credit in their guide. Since I can’t have that I’ll take the money and use it to buy myself something

Take the money and - shop! Being a nonprofit at least I'd probably be willing to work something out with them.

So how did the boat owner get your photo to have provided it to the nonprofit? They don't own rights to your photo, not that they'd know it... I tell ya, it takes vigilance to protect photographic work. I rarely share/post online especially social media, sometimes the terms to me seem to allow outright thievery!!

Glad you got it worked out in a professional way. Good for you, win-win if you make a little money too!

Take the money and - shop! Being a nonprofit at least I'd probably be willing to work something out with them.

So how did the boat owner get your photo to have provided it to the nonprofit? They don't own rights to your photo, not that they'd know it... I tell ya, it takes vigilance to protect photographic work. I rarely share/post online especially social media, sometimes the terms to me seem to allow outright thievery!!

Glad you got it worked out in a professional way. Good for you, win-win if you make a little money too!
I sold the photo to the boat captains wife last year! She saw it on Instagram and contacted me. Usually I order the print myself and then have it delivered but she asked for digital and agreed to my terms for that and I was stupid. Obviously she lied and felt free to share it even after she agreed not to. Lesson learned.

I really need to get my act together and create a website so when people contact me I can just let them buy online without the drama of negotiation. I just don’t want this to turn into work. I already have a job.

The way I look at it - they're going to give you something for their mistake, and they are a non-profit that helps get tourismt to the area. Maybe they would consider a receipt for donation, for tax purposes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back