The Coffee House

I provide prints, and even that's a rarity, I'm not looking for work either! At least she contacted you, she could've just snagged it off Instagram I suppose.

Hello all, we had a lovely warm sunny day here.

It started raining today and is supposed to be raining off and on through tomorrow evening as well and it's GLORIOUS. From now until about the end of October, I relish any day that will give me rain and cooler temperatures. The sun is just mean and oppressive at this time of year.

Last edited:
Today I got a message on Instagram from someone from a local business organization wanting to know if it was ok to use one of my photos on their website and some media publications and of course they would give credit for the photo. I said no not for free thanks but we can talk about licensing the photo for your needs - which is what I always say and then I never hear from them again.

Well today I got a follow up asking for a call to discuss. When I was questioning them about what they wanted to use it for they gave me their website and mentioned some upcoming trade show. They are a non profit that promotes travel to our area.

After a short discussion about their budget, I asked for an email with specifics on how they wanted to use my photo. After we hung up, I went on their website only to find… you guessed it. They already used my photo in this years 2022-2023 travel guide! Uncredited. What is on their website and appears to be a copy of a printed travel guide.
Are they listed on Charity Navigator? My first stop before contributing anything is seeing how much the officers of the non-profit are making, and what percentage that comes to of every dollar contributed. I wouldn't be easy on them just because they are "non-profit", with the photo or any other item of value.

Are they listed on Charity Navigator? My first stop before contributing anything is seeing how much the officers of the non-profit are making, and what percentage that comes to of every dollar contributed. I wouldn't be easy on them just because they are "non-profit", with the photo or any other item of value.
They’re a non profit, not a charity. I did some research and I’m happy with the way things worked out. I was annoyed that the first person who contacted me tried to cover up their mistake but not upset enough to make a big deal out of it. I believe they only paid me because they had used the photo already. If they had asked me up front and I wanted to be paid they would have just moved on to another photo. So in the end I have a bit of cash I wouldn’t otherwise have had over something I probably would not have ever known about had they not contacted me.

Getting ready to take some furniture to #1 in Oklahoma in a few weeks. We noticed a glass panel was sitting on one of the shelves, and further investigation revealed two retainer clips had broken. I just ordered some, and they'll be here next week. I also got a dowling jig (the one I have is in storage, somewhere) so I'll join the pantry shelf boards. I used 1x6 pine and put down two for each shelf (three for the bottom shelf).

We are taking Ada (favorite SIL) out to dinner after we do a little work at the house; a Greek + Mediteranian place a bit south of us.

Full morning for me - weeded the flower beds, mowed the grass, went to Lowes for neem oil and a sprayer (my roses have attracted some white flies), walked the dog and ran back inside just as the rain started. We’re expecting thunderstorms this afternoon then clearing tonight. I might run into Boston later to shoot the Memorial Day flag tribute if sunset looks promising. I’m on staycation all next week and I am determined to knock a ton of stuff off my list.

went to Lowes for neem oil
I had never heard of this stuff until last summer and now I can't do without it! It's very effective on whiteflies. The damn things have killed more annuals than I care to recall. :irked:

@Fujidave : looks like a fun day! 😀

Getting ready to take some furniture to #1 in Oklahoma in a few weeks.
Road trip!! That's quite a drive, Bear!

Been listening to a compilation of about 20 years' worth of the Memorial Day weekend 'Modern Rock 500' that 97X used to play... as in 'Bam! 97X The Future of Rock and Roll' in the movie 'Rain Man'. The 'Bam!' was added for the movie. Asked one of their former DJs what song was playing on 97X in that part of the movie and now I forget! but he's the one that sent me down that rabbit hole...

But still, I listened all the time, brings back memories of using the darkroom at the local university, just me and trays of developer and fixer and 97X on the radio and - in the summers, no students! well not many anyway.

And Leo, what was the first song on the compiliation list of 500 top 'Modern Rock 500' songs from '89-'09?? 'How Soon Is Now', The Smiths. The playlist is not necessarily in that order so haven't heard that song yet.

Looks fun FujiDave!! Glad to see you're out doing that, bet it's been fun.

edit - Mr. Google found it for me, does that look like a blast! Have a fun time there Dave!

Most reactions

Back