The Coffee House

Me too! That’s why I freed it after the split second thought. We love to watch them and I believe it’s his own habit of vigorously defending “ his “ feeders that probably caused the problem.
We've had them get their tiny beaks stuck in screens before. They just go so fast, a single wrong move just pushes them in deeply. It's a thrill to touch them even though they don't appreciate the save. :lol:

We've had them get their tiny beaks stuck in screens before. They just go so fast, a single wrong move just pushes them in deeply. It's a thrill to touch them even though they don't appreciate the save. :lol:
I wanted to see what it felt like in my hand but they seem so fragile and tiny, I just pulled the spring to open the coil and never touched it.

A lesson Learned

Just had a week away in a cottage by a lake near Carlisle in Cumbria. All very nice except that on day 6, in a distracted moment, I managed to delete every image on the main SD card in the Fuji X-T4. No sweat I thought because I have a free copy of the SanDisk recovery software provided with the card when I bought it. However, I made the mistake of taking one more shot before I removed the card thinking it could only overwrite one of the deleted images. Not so! When I ran the card through the SanDisk software I founds literally hundreds of images, none of which were taken on this trip. It had recovered what looks like every single image ever written to the card in the past. It looks like reformatting the card in camera after use doesn't destroy any images but adding one new image after an accidental deletion will overwrite everything in the current folder and that does destroy all of the other images in that folder. I don't often cry - but I came close. :( Thankfully I also had my small Sony (RX100M7) with me and so I have some images from the week but for instance the interior shots of Carlisle Cathedral and the like taken with wide angle primes attached to the Fuji, are a distant memory. Ditto the bird life on the lake.

Just thought I would pass on the experience gained.

Deleting files does not remove the files from the media, it simply removes the file's name from the directory and marks the locations those files were stored as available; why basic recovery tools work. If you add a new file (take a photo) it may use some of the area recently marked available, overwriting whatever is there.

I wasn't aware that in-camera formatting simply "deleted" everything. I wonder if that is brand-specific or general practice. I do know that basic formatting will not remove everything on a disk, there are usually traces of date remaining unless you do some secret squirrel (NSA, et al) stuff. I have an app that does the secret squirrel stuff that I got when I had to prep some old computers that had contained applicant information, including SS numbers for surplus sale.

Deleting files does not remove the files from the media, it simply removes the file's name from the directory and marks the locations those files were stored as available; why basic recovery tools work. If you add a new file (take a photo) it may use some of the area recently marked available, overwriting whatever is there. ..........................................
Thanks Snowbear. That's how I thought it would work but there was not single image from the week showing in the retrieved files. They were definitely there originally because it was in the process of reviewing the weeks images that I did the idiot thing. All I got were several hundred images that go back to sometime last year. I suspect that had I not taken the extra image, all would have been OK. That's life though.

Thanks Snowbear. That's how I thought it would work but there was not single image from the week showing in the retrieved files. They were definitely there originally because it was in the process of reviewing the weeks images that I did the idiot thing. All I got were several hundred images that go back to sometime last year. I suspect that had I not taken the extra image, all would have been OK. That's life though.
That really stinks. I’m assuming you tried more than once?

That really stinks. I’m assuming you tried more than once?
Yes I did in fact I also tried several other Apps that offered trial copies. They wouldn't let me retrieve anything without paying a subscription but at least they all detected what was on the card. They all showed the same result. I suppose there is a good news side to the story in that I (we) now know that if there ever is a need to recover an image after a card has been re formatted (I've been known to save changes to the original rather than a copy in PP), it can be done.

A quick update. Just formatted the card in my Sony R100M7 and then ran it through the recovery software. No images were found. I think that answers Snowbear's question above about it being a brand specific thing. Interestingly, reformatting on the Sony takes longer for a 32 GB card than formatting a 128GB card on the Fuji. Possibly the same difference as a Quick Format Vs a Full Format in Windows.

Good morning, hosers. Happy Monday.

I have a job interview this morning, so fingers crossed. This is for County position in same office, so if I get it, I go from contractor back to being a County employee doing the same job. Pay is a little better, benefits about equal, but a bit more stable since I don't have to guess who my employer will be in three months, and then three years.

Hot as anythind this past weekend, so we didn't go to the house. I did have o venture out to pick up a dress shirt and the new suit for today.

Morning Hosers! Hot and steamy weekend here. The only excitement was my car battery died yesterday morning after I had everything packed and ready to go to the beach 🥵. Would have been my first summer beach day in a few years… the Gods have spoken and I am back to my vampire ways of hibernating between 10-2 when the sun is out.

Harlie and I are sitting out on the deck enjoying the pre rain coolness this morning. Looks like it will start to drizzle any minute now.

Happy Monday, hosers! A beautiful morning here: sunny, cool and breezy. Nice way to start the week since it'll be heating up again in a few days.

@snowbear : good luck with the interview! Hopefully you'll get it since you already know the work. Fingers crossed!

@SquarePeg : Sorry the beach trip got canceled over a dead battery. Boo!! I'm guessing you didn't have to replace it. Pita!

Might get a bike ride in later today.

Happy Monday, hosers! A beautiful morning here: sunny, cool and breezy. Nice way to start the week since it'll be heating up again in a few days.

@snowbear : good luck with the interview! Hopefully you'll get it since you already know the work. Fingers crossed!

@SquarePeg : Sorry the beach trip got canceled over a dead battery. Boo!! I'm guessing you didn't have to replace it. Pita!

Might get a bike ride in later today.
Yes had to replace it. It was the original battery (2017 Honda) and only at 30%. I called roadside assisting rob come jump start it and he was able to get and install the battery for me. Better to have it fail in the driveway at home than after a long walk back to the parking lot at the beach.

Oh wow - I guess in that regard, you were lucky that it happened at home! Can't imagine having to wait on roadside assistance after being at the beach for hours.

It does seem like you got the "goody" out of the life of that battery, though. :icon_thumbsup:

Sharon: my boss has an Accord (don't know the year) and his battery died fairly quickly. It may be a Honda thing. Ours is a 2019 and it's been slow to turn over the engine (takes several more seconds than usual) so I'm keeping an eye on it. The Jeep has two batteries and the smaller one (stop/start EPA system) can run down the larger one (main).

Thanks, Terri. A series of ten questions, all related to the job responsibilities and associated experience. I feel OK about my answers, but we shall see. If I get it - fantastic. If not, well, I have a job so I guess it wouldn't be in the cards. If nothing else, it proves that I do, in fact, clean up a little.

Charlie!! very nice! You do look like a snow bear! a smart one. Good luck, and if not meant to be, maybe another opportunity will work out better in the long run.

Sharon, vampire ways! 🦇
Who's roadside assisting Rob??

Stanley Cup won last night, but wait - hockey's not over! Found summertime hockey on CBSSN called 3ICE. Mostly former college or minor pro players and Hall of Fame coaches. Fun & fast! Wondered how did I never hear of this?? did my hockey radar fail me? no, it's new this summer. Made me think of Pro Beach Hockey - ramp it up!! That was roller hockey but fun and the hockey world is once again tossing me a bone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back