The Coffee House

Yes had to replace it. It was the original battery (2017 Honda) and only at 30%. I called roadside assisting rob come jump start it and he was able to get and install the battery for me. Better to have it fail in the driveway at home than after a long walk back to the parking lot at the beach.
Good thing it was in the driveway. Sorry you missed out on beach time.

The weather has been up and down here. Got in a few walks at the nature center. Working on the grandson's birthday set. I made a large "4" out of styrofoam insulation board and painted. Got the small test jar of paint and used half. That is the way to go instead of buying a can or a ton of craft paint. Using balloon garland with my stone wall backdrop. He will be in town tomorrow and I hop he will be in a photo mood one of their visit days.

Sharon, too: I heard the cup was dropped on the ice and dented. Not really interested in any other opportunities - next career is doing stuff in retirement, mainly photos, painting, and hopefully some woodworking. You know, “me” stuff.

It’s supposed to be cooler tomorrow so we are going to telecommute from the house and I’ll get some more yard work done after the regular job. I’m less than two weeks away from the Cali trip and three away from moving. We will take Zoe to the house the day after I get back from San Diego so she has three days to get settled before the movers show up with furniture and boxes.

I’m trying to decide whether or not to take the 70-200 on the trip. A visit to SD zoo is likely but not definite. Most of my time will be in conference sessions but the morning and late afternoons are mostly mine. There will be the evening gathering at Balboa Park and of course, my time with Paula (cousin I haven’t seen in years) so workhorse 24-70 will be the primary lens.

Looking good snowbear! Have you lost weight? Take the long zoom.

Sharon - roadside assist Rob should’ve said roadside assistance. His name was Ed.

Cheryl - looking forward to the birthday photos.

Garden update - the dahlias are really filling in - no blooms yet. Poppies are budded up and growing fast. Roses and hydrangeas are in bloom. Rose of Sharon is covered with buds. Crepe myrtle is still leafing out.

Butterfly garden - Cosmos that I planted from seed are still pretty small. They won’t bloom for another 4-6 weeks. Swamp milkweed and purple milkweed are showing some buds on the larger plants. The milkweed seedlings I planted are growing but won’t flower this year I think. The Joe Pye and the bee balm are flowering now. The tall thistle is still short.

On weight, maybe, and thank you; I will most likely take the big lens.

Looking forward to your bloom and butterfly photos. I think we're going to plant some heather next year.

Hi all hi Peg my poppies are just about done but I have had so many different colours this year. My kitchen looks like an onion sellers with all the onions I have had come up this year.
Seems the year has shot past no time for photography just the months marked by the paying of bills.
They say you should not work with kids or pets... I did a studio session a few months back with mum’s dog. Two hours later and 100 plus shots non that I would say was THE shot
As I sat there, calling it a day the dog suddenly posed in her I am a pretty girl.. in two shots I had it nailed.....mad

Hi all hi Peg my poppies are just about done but I have had so many different colours this year. My kitchen looks like an onion sellers with all the onions I have had come up this year.
Seems the year has shot past no time for photography just the months marked by the paying of bills.
They say you should not work with kids or pets... I did a studio session a few months back with mum’s dog. Two hours later and 100 plus shots non that I would say was THE shot
As I sat there, calling it a day the dog suddenly posed in her I am a pretty girl.. in two shots I had it nailed.....mad
I’m jealous of where you live - we don’t have any poppy fields here. Let’s see the dog photo please!! Hope you are well.

Happy surprise this morning! Was inspecting the garden after last night’s thunderstorm and heavy rain and found my first poppy. It’s tiny. Much smaller than I expected. Of course I spilled the seeds when planting them and then didn’t have the heart to thin them out when they sprouted so they’re totally overcrowded!

01316E64-8DF5-4C30-A1BB-85AA5AD0AB51.jpeg

That poppy looks great! Sounds like they may have gotten overcrowded this year - BUT this should help nature decide who stays and who may get choked out. Very pretty color, too. I've never tried poppies but now in a cooler environment I have options! I hope you end up with tons of butterflies there once the butterfly garden is fully mature. Build it and they will come!

@snowbear : Your schedule sounds like it's making your summer fly by. I'm going to be interested in how Zoe does with the move - we have our 2 cats in a situation where they can't possibly know we'll be moving them again. I foresee a potential rebellion. :lol:

@Original katomi: That's too funny about working so hard to pose the dog only to have her decide to do it herself at the very end. Hope you post the winning shot(s)!

@snowbear : Your schedule sounds like it's making your summer fly by. I'm going to be interested in how Zoe does with the move - we have our 2 cats in a situation where they can't possibly know we'll be moving them again. I foresee a potential rebellion. :lol:
my guess is that she will be pissed, at first, and hide under the closest object for an hour or two. After that she’ll be busy checking everything out. We’re going to take some of her things up first, like one of her blankets and some of her toy mice, so she has familiar smells. And a pack of treats.

Took the old couch at the house to the curb for trash pickup at lunch time today. Now I get to spend dinner time at the urgent care with pulled back muscles.

We got the living room rug cut up and ready to go to the landfill. We’ll make that trip Saturday morning, after which we’ll pick up Ada and head to SE PA to look for a nice live edge plank or two for fireplace mantles. We also grabbed another portable AC unit since it’s blazing down here.

MLW also got me a new cordless jigsaw calling it a belated Father’s Day gift that the kids should have gotten me.

I got a couple interior shots yesterday; I’ll try to get them processed tonight after I get out of the UC clinic.

House shots.

First is the front door. Fire had to force entry to check on mom's welfare. We've been locking the storm door and driving a wedge (wooden door stop) between the frame and door, and going in and out the basement door. New storm doors are on site, and regular doors should be there soon.
cmw3_d750_2.jpg

This is a tilt-top table that dad made. It is a kit from an antique reproductions company called Bartley (no longer in business). It's a Queen Anne style, made from solid cherry, finished in Pennsylvania Cherry (red).; Not really our style, but we are keeping two of the five pieces he made: this one and a small oval-topped table I believe they referred to as a candle stand. Son #1 is getting the two end tables and the "low boy" table. I'll post photos of them later. The red wing-back chair is staying for now.
cmw3_d750_3991.jpg

The living room fireplace. A big mirror was mounted to the wall at the pinkish area over the fireplace. You can also see where various photos were mounted, as well as a couple of brass wall sconces. We will get a larger flat screen later, and mount it to the wall over the fireplace, and eventually I want to build a pair of bookcases/stereo cabinets to go beside the fireplace.
cmw3_d750_2-2.jpg

From the living room looking into the dining room and kitchen in the back. We want to remove the half wall but will have to leave the arch as it is lead-bearing. The wall between the dining room and kitchen will be cut away in the same way as the arch, as it is also load-bearing, but that will allow us to get an open concept. The china cabinet and dining room table go to son #1, as well (#2 doesn't want them, nor has room for them). The secretary on the right stays - it was my grandmother's and the lighter cabinet beyond that is a pie safe cabinet that we got a while back.
cmw3_d750_2-3.jpg

Most reactions

Back