The Coffee House

It has been hot and steamy here. Too hot for walks or photos. There was one day about a week ago that was very nice and managed to get out. Hard to get photo motivated with the heat.

I have a few events that I want to go to later this month. Back this year after a 2 year hiatus is the Festival of Nations. Lots of talent on several stages and the food is hard to decide what to eat.
The other event coming back again is painting the flood wall. Grafitti artists from around the country come for the event and there usually are a few international teams. I like to go on day 2 to see the murals almost finished.

Yeah, and you got it during Shark Week (some thing on I forget what network here in the US). Seriously, glad it's taken care of and you're good.

And Leo, for tonight, an extravaganza of zither music!! Yes, once again on TCM, 'The Third Man'. It's Orson Welles day during their 'Summer Under the Stars'. Good ol' Harry Lime. ('What if it wasn't an accident?' no, really?? lol)

Oh, and I'm going home from rehab next Friday - whoo hoo!! boy will it be nice to be home. And a weekend to relax before starting in-home PT/OT. Been ordering stuff and why is it so hard to find just a regular pillow? what's with all this foam fake down stuffing and whatnot??

New windows! Three done, eleven to go.

430EF103-0FAA-4C50-9768-06FF38DB5064.jpeg
40610953-50EA-4CC5-9782-8043028C26F6.jpeg

@vintagesnaps - boy, I bet you will be happy to get back home! I'm sorry it's had to take so long in rehab. Keep checking in when you can to let us know how it's going.

@snowbear - WOW, those windows look great! Looks like a good installation.

Best of all - so clean! :biglaugh:

Well got my skin cancer results, I am now free of it thank god but have a lovely big scar on my inner thigh.
Awesome news! Such a relief I know.
It has been hot and steamy here. Too hot for walks or photos. There was one day about a week ago that was very nice and managed to get out. Hard to get photo motivated with the heat.

I have a few events that I want to go to later this month. Back this year after a 2 year hiatus is the Festival of Nations. Lots of talent on several stages and the food is hard to decide what to eat.
The other event coming back again is painting the flood wall. Grafitti artists from around the country come for the event and there usually are a few international teams. I like to go on day 2 to see the murals almost finished.
I agree the heat just saps all my motivation for photography. Then I go out into the garden "just to check on a few things" and 2 hours later I come back inside covered in sweat and dirt. The other night I finally had a cool enough night to install the trellis I bought a month ago. Ran out of time before I could plant the honeysuckle and then it got hot again so I am keeping that alive in the pot hoping for a cooler day. Today it is 95° but the "feels like" is 107°!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH - literally.
Thanks folks, if anyone asks I will say it's a shark attack scar lol
That is exactly what I told my nephew to tell people when he ended up with a huge scar on his arm from an accident with a glass door!

@snowbear - WOW, those windows look great! Looks like a good installation.

Best of all - so clean! :biglaugh:
Yep, these guys did a great job; replaced one window sill thar had rotted when A/C unit leaked over time, then painted the rest of the frame to match. We're glad we had the grid added; it really makes a difference.

They are saying we are in for another heatwave this month, lovely and sunny here today.

I’m up in York Beach, Maine for a few days for my mom’s 80th birthday. It was humid and 90’s when we got here but yesterday just as the tide turned and started coming in, at almost the exact time of the turn according to Google, it was like someone turned on the ac at the beach. Literally one second we were melting and the next there was a cool breeze coming in off the water. Needed a hoodie last night, which was the first time in about 5 weeks that it was bearable to be outside, even at night!

My nephew is flying up from Houston tomorrow to surprise my mom. Princess stayed home with the dog but will be up this afternoon and tonight for the big birthday celebration dinner.

That sounds like a wonderful vacation! Glad to hear the weather turned so you can enjoy the beach. Hope you can get a few pics.

Enjoy the time away and happy birthday to your Mom! 🥳

We may be heading back up to the PA lumber yard for another piece of cocobolo to use as trim below the mantle.

We ordered the windows for the rest of the house, including the steel casement (drop-down) windows in the basement. We're going with sliders. In looking around the outside, I discovered a casement I didn't realize we had. Went downstairs, and it's behind the bar, paneled over; I'm sure done by the folks mom and day bought the house from. I never noticed it before. So now we have to contact the company and add a window. There was a little TV in the sill (no HDMI input so it won't work with our system), so I'll come up with something to do with it. I plan to remodel that area - most likely switching from a railroad theme to mapping or Fire/EMS.

RIP: Olivia Newton-John

This is a sad coincidence. Olivia Newton-John died Aug 8, 2022. Most of my life I was not particularly a fan of hers, or her songs, or her acting. I liked it all well enough, but I never bought her records and never went to see her movies. Back in the 80's there was a *lot* going on, so the stuff to which I paid money towards were, well, in truth I do not even remember. I'd actually have to do research just to be sure.

Now here is the coincidence: Back around 2020 - 2021, a number of clips were posted to YouTube, and I re-discovered "Xanadu". "Grease" was never a big attraction to me, and "Xanadu" was even less so back then. But this time around I found that I liked the "Xanadu" sound track. A quick check back then told me that Olivia Newton-John was still alive. I did not expect that I'd necessarily see anything new from her, since she was in her '70s and seemed to be retired. But in the back of my mind, it was nice to know that she was still around, and maybe it was possible she might produce something. Maybe a book might come out. You never know. . . .

So what do I know about her? Aside from the fact that she was talented and pretty, she seemed to be a nice person, and I think her final years were generally happy. I just wish I had sent her a "fan mail" note a couple of years ago, when it might have counted.

[Added 2022-08-12 15:52]
This is a clip I found before but lost:

"Xanadu | "Suspended in Time" - Olivia Newton-John & Electric Light Orchestra", "Universal Pictures", posted to YouTube Jun 16, 2021, [length 3:54]
""

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back