The Coffee House

So tomorrow we’re going to get Ada’s old broken TV from her basement and transport it to the landfill, then instead of a lumber run, we’re going to explore the watershed “trails” in Frederick, MD. Really just some dirt roads but a break from the house for part of a day.

I’ll start disassembling the wall behind the bar when we get home.

So tomorrow we’re going to get Ada’s old broken TV from her basement and transport it to the landfill, then instead of a lumber run, we’re going to explore the watershed “trails” in Frederick, MD. Really just some dirt roads but a break from the house for part of a day.

I’ll start disassembling the wall behind the bar when we get home.
You’re smart to take a break from house stuff to do something else. Moving and remodeling can be all consuming and burn out is a concern! It’s a marathon…

Hi all another blistering hot day only now at 21.08 BST is it cool enough to do anything outside.
The phone line is down so life is via the mbl at the moment.
How is everyone on your side of the pond

Dirt Road Therapy done. Drove the loop, mainly crushed gravel but some bare rock and dirt. A lot of potholes, some with mud and water. Definitely would not go there in the CR-V; happy with some ground clearance.

I will go back in the Autumn when the leaves are in color, and would be very interested in playing there in the snow.

Started tearing down the 1960s/1970s paneling from behind the bar. The secret window is actually broken so I left it covered for now; the fewer critters in the house, the better.

Water on the floor is from dripping pipe, I think the radiator in master bedroom. I put down a bucket to catch the water, and mopped up what I could; I'll use towels to get the rest. We'll call a plumber once we get some of the stuff out of the way for him to work (like a dresser). I haven't seen any puddling or wet floor boards so my guess is it's not the actual radiator but the supply or return side pipes - those below the floor (in the basement ceiling).

I took two shots of one of the the trout streams in the watershed, yesterday. I'll process them tonight and see what they look like. Next weekend is a "Jeep & Greet" for new members of the Gladiator club. I'm looking forward to going to that one, since it is the evening and the new doors are supposed to be installed that morning.

Last edited:
Kitchen tiles are removed and we picked up the pressure roller and adhesive ("helper") this afternoon. The floor is chalked with center lines so I'll start in one quadrant tonight.

We'll get the new, temporary tiles down over the next couple of evenings, then bring Zoe home on Saturday. We really appreciate Ada watching her while we get things cleaned up, and she appreciates having a kitty for a while.

We haz doors! The new doors and frames were installed today; storm doors get done in a few weeks. I still have the cut tiles to do, around the edge of the room, but I’ll get done tonight.

FrontDoor.jpg

Hosers.

Felt quite fragile today.

We were called back to work full time on Aug 1st, which also coincided with blackout dates for our period of 'mass registration.' My commute is about 45-60 minutes depending on traffic. After a year and a half of 100% remote and then another year of only 2-3 days on campus, I am starting to get used to a 5-day commute again, but it still sucks rocks.

It was super busy all month long, but this week has been insane. We counselors work 9-hour days (in exchange for many many many vacation days - we just can't take any of those days off until Sept 10 when add/drop is done) and I haven't had a proper lunch break for 2 weeks. There are just SO MANY PEOPLE coming in at the very last minute and then get all pissy when they are forced into a crappy class schedule, or can't figure out their email, or blah blah f*****g blah.

So I was already frazzled as hell when I left for work this morning, and I was happy that traffic was really really light, and it was Friday, just one more day...and then I killed a little squirrel that ran out into the highway too late for me to do anything to avoid it. I burst into tears and weeped uncontrollably for a full 20 minutes. At some point, I had to acknowledge that it wasn't entirely about the squirrel anymore, and that I probably had been holding onto more stress than I realized.

I had a good venting session with my team and felt a little better, and somehow got through the day, though I still want to cry when I think of the squirrel 😥

In other news, I am getting an emotional support fish for my office this weekend.

Hosers.

We were called back to work full time on Aug 1st, which also coincided with blackout dates for our period of 'mass registration.' My commute is about 45-60 minutes depending on traffic. After a year and a half of 100% remote and then another year of only 2-3 days on campus, I am starting to get used to a 5-day commute again, but it still sucks rocks.

It was super busy all month long, but this week has been insane. We counselors work 9-hour days (in exchange for many many many vacation days - we just can't take any of those days off until Sept 10 when add/drop is done) and I haven't had a proper lunch break for 2 weeks. There are just SO MANY PEOPLE coming in at the very last minute and then get all pissy when they are forced into a crappy class schedule, or can't figure out their email, or blah blah f*****g blah.

So I was already frazzled as hell when I left for work this morning, and I was happy that traffic was really really light, and it was Friday, just one more day...and then I killed a little squirrel that ran out into the highway too late for me to do anything to avoid it. I burst into tears and weeped uncontrollably for a full 20 minutes. At some point, I had to acknowledge that it wasn't entirely about the squirrel anymore, and that I probably had been holding onto more stress than I realized.

I had a good venting session with my team and felt a little better, and somehow got through the day, though I still want to cry when I think of the squirrel 😥

In other news, I am getting an emotional support fish for my office this weekend.
The rodent was probably depressed and suicidal anyway. Days that bad usually occasion a brief episode of "Mad Men" style drinking. All better next day. Dunno about the fish, though. Never had one that loved me back. Maybe you'll get lucky.

The rodent was probably depressed and suicidal anyway. Days that bad usually occasion a brief episode of "Mad Men" style drinking. All better next day. Dunno about the fish, though. Never had one that loved me back. Maybe you'll get lucky.

As a matter of fact, I did have a good proper martini with two olives when I got home. Buzz and I even poured a shorter second martini after dinner.

I'll keep y'all posted about the fish. I am planning on calling him Nigel.

Dang, Leo - that's just a crappy day. In general it's nice to stay busy, because it makes the time fly faster. But it sure can backfire when you're at a frenzied pace like that - then time seems to revert back to a crawl, like it'll never end!

Sorry about the little squirrel. The last time I hit an animal was when I was headed for a job interview, and a rabbit darted out into the road. I pulled over, looked everywhere for that bunny, and was late for the interview and was distracted. Ugh.

Hope you were able to vent and purge completely! 🍷

Hosers.

:icon_hug:

I remember having an owl fly into my headlight many years go as I was driving down a country road. I looked but never saw it, so I guess it was able to keep flying.

We went out late yesterday afternoon to pick up a baby gate and some kitty litter. When we got close to the main road, MLW saw a doe crossing the road, followed by a fawn (not quite baby but still had spots). The second fawn was trailing behind, so we just sat and waited for a couple minutes until it crossed the road.

301130610_816574226006290_3006936259797190976_n.jpg

The need for kitty litter should be pretty obvious: we're picking up Zoe today. The baby gate: also for Zoe. I didn't finish the floor tiles last night and we don't want her going in the kitchen or stairwell until it's all cleaned up. We figure she'll spend a few days in the bedroom until she's readjusted so we're good for now. The gate will allow me to finish up without feeling rushed.

We’ll, we brought Zoe home this afternoon. Tried to get her yesterday but she slipped out of the dreaded carrier and wouldn’t let me near her. She was still pissed today but I was able to pick her up and get her in the carrier. She nosed and the house a little then went under the bed, as we figured she would do.

Ada decided she’d give up our birthday anc Christmas presents yesterday. She gave the two of us a whole-house surge protector; MLW got a new mixeri/bread maker and I got a table saw!.

Most reactions

Back