The Coffee House

We are finally starting to see the beginning of fall. The mornings have a noticeable nip, the leaves have the slightest hint of color development, and the %&$#@*%$#@ spiders are going crazy building webs everywhere. Every time I walk through the yard I invariably walk face first into one, then spend the next few mins like some spastic Kung Fu fighter trying to dislodge the stringy webs. I've yet to figure out why the spiders become so active during the fall, and why their webs seem stronger and more sticky.

Here it was like someone flipped a switch on 9/21. It went from 80’s to 60 overnight. Nights have been beautifully cool and days are very mild. This is my favorite weather. It’s fleeting and I’m planning to enjoy all of it that I can!! This morning it’s perfect out there. Just a slight feel of fall. We may get some rain from Hurricane Ian tomorrow. I hope not as it’s family/homecoming weekend at Princess’s school and we have a big group planning to go and tailgate Saturday morning.

Hi from south coast UK. I know what you mean about the cold I have just relented and put the heating on. I will take a few days to make a difference as its underfloor heating. I normally get it wrong put it on then the weather goes back to being warn. I think we are due for a few cold days getting colder so before the place looses all the heat I have put the heating on. Now I start to worry about the next electric bill.

I don't recall the date we started, but we've had the windows open for a while. For the off road trip on 9/24 I had the top panels off but wearing a heavy flannel shirt - it was 54*F; pretty darn cold at 70MPH down the Interstate.

We're expecting rain and wind for the next few days due to the remnants of Ian. The last prediction I was places the center going east of us, but enough rain our weekend plans have changed to inside activities at the house. Maybe next weekend we can hit the Apple Harvest Festival in PA.

Hi from south coast UK. I know what you mean about the cold I have just relented and put the heating on. I will take a few days to make a difference as its underfloor heating. I normally get it wrong put it on then the weather goes back to being warn. I think we are due for a few cold days getting colder so before the place looses all the heat I have put the heating on. Now I start to worry about the next electric bill.

I started to put our heating on a few days ago about 4pm, it gets pretty nippy now.

Once the cold gets in the house, it’s hard to get it out. Timing is always tricky on when to close up the windows. We have a lot of south facing windows so the house is pretty warm during the day in fall. I try to just use my electric fireplace if it’s chilly in the evening. I don’t like to turn on the heat until 10/31. Especially now with Princess at school it’s just me and I like it cool while sleeping so will hold out as long as I can.

Morning all, very overcast and yuck here today.

Sorry to hear that, absolutely gorgeous day here in SE MI.

Rain and chilly, yesterday. I finally shut the windows because MLW was cold (but heat was not turned on). A little bit of rain on the ride in to the offoce this morning but it's just overcast, now.

We have all new windows, now, including the casement windows in the basement. It's a lot lighter down there; I'm going to put up curtains, and not the shutters that were on there before. I am definitely going to swap out the paneling (barnwood look on one side and fake brick on the "ends") with sheetrock so everything is brighter.

Other projects are the chimney repairs and cleaning (replace chimney cap, replace lining in furnace flue), a replacement shed, and the electrician. I also need a plumber to fix a leak in the shut off valve for the dowstairs toilet. We'll need the plumber and electrician back when we do the furnace/hot water heater conversions. We're not sure when that will be, likely next summer. The shed goes in before the electrician becasue I want lights & outlets in there and I don't want to pull permits twice - do it all at the same time.

I have a pair of Ikea two-drawer units that will have the fire extinguisher lamps on them and are planned to go on either side of the fire place. The problem with that is I then woin't have a place to put the firewood, so I have to either rethink how I have things set up, or put the wood elsewhere. Once I get everything that doesn't belong out of there it might be easier - maybe both along the wall opposite the desk (behind me). They have art supplies in them so there is no rush top get them moved.

Not a great day for photography unless you can pierce through the gloom!

Happy Monday, Hosers!

Lovely white sky here it was, terrible for photography so maybe take images with no sky at all will solve that.

Once the cold gets in the house, it’s hard to get it out. Timing is always tricky on when to close up the windows. We have a lot of south facing windows so the house is pretty warm during the day in fall. I try to just use my electric fireplace if it’s chilly in the evening. I don’t like to turn on the heat until 10/31. Especially now with Princess at school it’s just me and I like it cool while sleeping so will hold out as long as I can.

I also don't turn on the heat until it's much colder. I took my bedroom floor a/c unit out but ONLY because I had a stink bug situation that was freaking me out and I had to get that window closed and sealed. I'm kinda mad about it, too, because I like to have the window at least a little bit open at night now that it's better sleeping weather, but I am still too grossed out at how many stink bugs I had to deal with. *shudder* I hate them so much. I still have the floor unit set to fan, though. I need it nice and cold at night with some moving air. There were 2 or 3 nights after I closed the window up when I woke up feeling warm, but it's getting better now.

I still have the window unit in the living room, though it's set on fan now, and I still keep windows open as long as it's quiet out and none of the neighbors is doing lawn work or there are no kids yelling in the yard next door or playing basketball or whatever.

I finally had to wear a jacket today and I love it!!

Back in the "Black Watch" flannel shirt. We'll turn the heat on if the temperature inside drops below 58.

Last edited:
I also don't turn on the heat until it's much colder. I took my bedroom floor a/c unit out but ONLY because I had a stink bug situation that was freaking me out and I had to get that window closed and sealed. I'm kinda mad about it, too, because I like to have the window at least a little bit open at night now that it's better sleeping weather, but I am still too grossed out at how many stink bugs I had to deal with. *shudder* I hate them so much. I still have the floor unit set to fan, though. I need it nice and cold at night with some moving air. There were 2 or 3 nights after I closed the window up when I woke up feeling warm, but it's getting better now.

I still have the window unit in the living room, though it's set on fan now, and I still keep windows open as long as it's quiet out and none of the neighbors is doing lawn work or there are no kids yelling in the yard next door or playing basketball or whatever.

I finally had to wear a jacket today and I love it!!

Interesting… we have seen more stink bugs this year than ever before ! Always by the front door. Not more than one at a time and not too too frequently but enough that I know they must be hanging outside the front door waiting to get in!

a Few years ago I was flushing or throwing out at least four each week. This year I haven’t seen but a couple. Maybe the new hood is tougher than the last one.

Most reactions

Back