The Coffee House

Interesting… we have seen more stink bugs this year than ever before ! Always by the front door. Not more than one at a time and not too too frequently but enough that I know they must be hanging outside the front door waiting to get in!

a Few years ago I was flushing or throwing out at least four each week. This year I haven’t seen but a couple. Maybe the new hood is tougher than the last one.

Last year, it was not a problem - the occasional bug when the weather started cooling off because they are all trying to find a warm place to hang out for the winter, but I would spray around the house with a homemade bug spray - neem and peppermint oil, a touch of Dawn. All things that kill or repel many bugs, including stink bugs.

And they always seemed to cluster outside my bedroom window, probably because of the warmth coming from the air conditioner hose, but they somehow mostly managed to stay outside. Just a stray once in a while, and then I'd spray again.

This year, though, they found a way to get in somehow, despite all kinds of foam seals that I put in or spraying (though to be fair, I didn't do it nearly as often since I had to go to campus 5 days a week again.) It started with just one that made its way in each day. Then one night it was two. Then the next night, I killed three within about half an hour. And it would get worse every night until one Friday night about a week or so ago. I ended up killing 6 of them that night. And they were coming in one at a time, so I would kill one, check all around the window and not see anything, and then 10 minutes later, the next one would appear. They just kept coming and I couldn't relax, not knowing if or when they would keep coming in the window.

I slept on the couch that night and the next day, I took the hose out of the window, cleaned it all up, and put gaffer's tape all around the window (I got some white tape so it at least matches!)

Still have our lights on here, it is that dark and gloomy.

Hi all, been a while. Hope you’re all doing well!

Had some ups and downs, but trying to get back into photography as a hobby.

Please meet Dolly.

7352D6FA-4882-4F8C-9A34-DD3886C01E7D.jpeg

3EAB26BE-878D-4010-B689-32EB617F5B6B.jpeg

Well Helllllooooo Dolly!

Today makes six months since I quit smoking cigarettes.
Probably just seems that long...Congrats, though, for opening the way for another camera system. I managed last century to kick killer unfiltered coffin nails like Gitanes, Gauloises, Camels and Sobranies. Suspect my lungs look less like First basemens' gloves now.

Last edited:
Today makes six months since I quit smoking cigarettes.
Been so long I forgot when I quit smoking, but somewhere around 1987? I don't like to even be around cigarette smoke now, but if I smell a good cigar all those cravings come rushing back. I have to get away from it, or I'd light up in a hurry. I'd be one of those people alternating puffs between and oxygen mask and the cigar.

I never had a strong habit and have always been the kind of person who could bum a smoke once in a while after officially quitting and not go right back into the habit. But still, it was tough to break the association with certain other behaviors: having a drink out with friends, studying/working at a coffeehouse, hanging out on the balcony by myself trying to sort of think through some kind of problem or situation or just staring into space.

I am going to start smoking again when I am 90. ;)

I never had a strong habit and have always been the kind of person who could bum a smoke once in a while after officially quitting and not go right back into the habit. But still, it was tough to break the association with certain other behaviors: having a drink out with friends, studying/working at a coffeehouse, hanging out on the balcony by myself trying to sort of think through some kind of problem or situation or just staring into space.

I am going to start smoking again when I am 90. ;)
Love this:

Congratulations. I quit in early 2000 after the third attempt, and haven't even thought opf going back to it.

Love this:

Jim Jarmusch! That movie has a fantastic soundtrack. I just checked the date because I could have sworn I saw it in grad school, but it came out several years after I left Pittsburgh, so I think it just reminds me so strongly of grad school that I always associate the two.

I quit in 2002. Within a month I was totally done with it. Haven’t been tempted since.

I can’t believe the cost of a pack now! Insanity.

Thanks everyone.

I have become an expert quitter, once quit for seven years.

Most reactions

Back