The Coffee House

I updated to Win 11 on my laptop - mixed feelings about it.
Is the mose wired or wireless? If wireless, that may be a contributing factor.

No, it is a wired mouse. It does seem to have stabilized now. The last adjustments I made were enough for now.

Last night we got the ceiling and all but one wall primed with Kilz, an anti-fungal and anti-mold barrier. I had to par=tch one wall that had cracked plaster so that needs to be primed today, then we can get real paint on the walls. I also have one piece of wood window trim to sand. After the paint is dried, I'm going to replace the ceiling lamps. The main lamp is new but MLW decided she doesn't like it in the kitchen so we'll move it to the front porch. The other is an old fluorescent ring.

My office area is useable but needs some C&C (clearing & cleaning) as does the rest of the basement. The priorities down there are to finish clearing the big room so my power tools can be set up (table saw, band saw, wood lathe and work bench with drill press), then the office. The bar and restaurant booth will be the last things, though I have already purchased a key wall art item for the booth. New drywall and bright paint for the dark paneled walls and popcorn-finished particleboard ceiling, as well as new LED lighting are planned.

New shed(s) are in that list, somewhere. We just need to decide on one big shed/workshop or two smaller/mid-sized sheds. Power tools move there eventually.

On a slightly different note, I got to try out the cordless electric chainsaw. There was a juniper bush that had gotten too big and threatened to interfere with overhead CATV wires coming into the house. I'm happy with the saw's performance.

It's actually gone pretty well. There was a delay in the middle while we had one electrician do the prep work - upgrading the service and breaker box, and another when the counter wasn't delivered as expected to the cutter.

At one point we had the chimney guys here at the same time as the countertop installer. We'll probably start painting next weekend. I'm pulling for this particular shade of white. :1219:
View attachment 263136

Ha! :lol: Go for it!

The most beautiful white trim color comes from Behr! I think they call it Ultra White. I've used semigloss and high gloss, and although it takes 2 coats, it dries down beautifully.

Ultra Pure White. We're using that in gloss for the trim, Polar Bear semi-gloss for the walls in the kitchen and stairwell. I think we'll get Polar Bear satin/matt/pearl for the rest of the walls. Since we are planning to sell in the next few years, we want to keep it simple. Though I am tempted to paint a mural in the basement, I'll do it on another base and attach it, rather than directly on the wall.

Anybody here know a good way to replace sealed 7" round halogen headlight bulbs for something that LEDs can be put in? This is not for an actual car, so I don't want to spend a lot and get "real" LED headlights.

Ultra Pure White. We're using that in gloss for the trim, Polar Bear semi-gloss for the walls in the kitchen and stairwell. I think we'll get Polar Bear satin/matt/pearl for the rest of the walls.
That's it - Ultra Pure White. And it really is brighter and cleaner - so white that you can use virtually any other "white" for walls and it will still give you some contrast.

I may steal your kitchen palette for one of my bathrooms. I knew I wanted the UPW for the trim but have been struggling a bit for the walls, which I also want white. A warmer white, not cold. The Polar Bear looks good!

We looked at two of the slightly off-whites: Polar Bear and Bakery Box. Polar Bear is slightly warm, while Bakery is slightly cool.

The bathrooms are another story - black and pink, with some grey mixed in to the tiles, and not in a good way.

We looked at two of the slightly off-whites: Polar Bear and Bakery Box. Polar Bear is slightly warm, while Bakery is slightly cool.

The bathrooms are another story - black and pink, with some grey mixed in to the tiles, and not in a good way.
I've seen the black and pink tiles in lots of these mid-century homes. It can look cute, so you have me curious about the gray mixed in. My own 1950 bungalow has that baby blue/sky blue tile. It desperately needs a paint job!

Edit: Small bath is pink & black wall tiles and beige/tan floor tiles. Big bath is pink and blue-grey walls, blue-grey floor.
We did pick up some wide wall tiles on clearance that are "dark teal" but I think we're going to save them for the next place.

I just ordered the Sr. Lifetime US Federal Lands pass. At $25 per visit to Assateague (and other locations) it will pay for itself in just a few outings.

A friend has a baby pup, a Pomeranian. He weighed 3 lbs last week and won't get much bigger than 8 lbs. I'm taking photos soon of the cute little fluff ball. I wanted to take the photos in their greenhouse, but she said there is too much for him to get hurt on being so tiny. We plan on the green house when he is older. For now it will be in the house. I hope there is good window light. I will bring my light wand, white fur rug and white board. The light and stand is too much to collapse and set up.

I just ordered the Sr. Lifetime US Federal Lands pass. At $25 per visit to Assateague (and other locations) it will pay for itself in just a few outings.
We bought the lifetime pass several years ago. Used it a lot initially, but now that our travel plans have scaled back drastically its gathering dust 😐 At one time there were several state parks that honored it also, but not so much anymore.

The Federal sites are DC is free but we're close enough to Assateague Island and Skyline Drive that it will get used while we are here. Four visits to the beach and it's more than paid for.

Chicken & Waffles for dinner.

A friend has a baby pup, a Pomeranian. He weighed 3 lbs last week and won't get much bigger than 8 lbs. I'm taking photos soon of the cute little fluff ball. I wanted to take the photos in their greenhouse, but she said there is too much for him to get hurt on being so tiny. We plan on the green house when he is older. For now it will be in the house. I hope there is good window light. I will bring my light wand, white fur rug and white board. The light and stand is too much to collapse and set up.
He sounds adorable! Looking forward to seeing the results. :)

I used the Ultra Pure White for ceilings and trim and the Bakery Box for the living room walls. I am very happy with both and knew as soon as rolled just a few lines of paint that the Bakery Box was the right choice. Because it's slightly cooler, it coordinates beautifully with the dark blue accent wall and also contrasts with the warmth of my acacia floors.

sumxqQcORYLN4hdh2LvrPkxtTvy1iupxEl4wtoTlPm_D9ERgVtZ_P2C3Qx3_03zDvKC5CAZv1h8mMQaPGWeWnOeEWLpuKPfpLaoE2hj0XnyNfZGLliqKMAdlAD4oxkQQQjW6dsxeLGiCpkWOnJjhxNdhBWmSA0WH3A-KgDKsVzcGXTBFMgGmN5kgFU7mHBbCfIkgIihh5Pl7G0yi2-7Dq5qLW0fhUT49uX9Kh3W2ufy5IrJk8EAkTjcOQMCYu21KbwibklOCFeABZEhNyBwuDv7o9DKO1eVuYRDpdrWmMzKGt7AIJU8PDAXBFpij6rLm0uhUDmpG0hiAJvF8pdEeAq5rQ-Ww7UarPuLTeX9BwrEXIbClYE51KJPxHxOJczPxaki7dZ_svw6nsuGsVFKPZ8L9EgO-p6y_mXQiL3vtd-9nGBGl-K1yAMTSnhyrV3CNU1kQ5hPfAT6HGMENRQ8HLj8N6BRBN2ghi4A_LxcJqtFpwTSFxaHu-TIedY6hwnqkWNRUlTq_IM64J9xnfoEa8VxPUTbgkGRbLubtjcuNgSE5FXwcMydCdCP9N9_Xn1X9rv1nrKo_hJ81-29vEhaENHUAw7q660Whm79z0OmamrCMRviOGhEBVq913pXiZKttkORFY-WSR_mBKXiPj_dThcdk06a4NT49Na35BD4502KOSRj-EFB-fj4szBHxEF-ybR2HmbGU24Jn9gGDUnr32mMjy2ef34i0ylsp1yZ_2Ez8M1PmkIyoKdGrgYwzrfBQfhd_c09TWhWTYj_a-yjKxPQOMYR85Q6WGF4I8lzkIzcV1lLRQMxYj8e-TWlzafMzph6GY90AYX2-yJmgKtA1QVXzqAb_NkEmrVK-YHE9hYkkmccSWEiA_MU2GJh8uujUBf13QiMxMJ7gXXFi-DMUZ_17OaSJnbXi41GT4pTBSolNrOA4=w2156-h1616-no

Hey hosers.

Wish me luck, I'm up for tenure this year. Just turning in my portfolio this week and will hear probably in a couple of months.

In other news, I'm creaky and old. My knees hurt, and I'm finally admitting that I need to see a doctor about the plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I very much need to start walking again for exercise but my foot makes it almost impossible. A few weeks ago, I took a walk and covered about 1.5-2 miles. Not much at all. Had my Blundstones on, which have got some kind of magic Tasmanian juju because my feet always feel good. Could feel the left foot kind of getting tired but it's been a lot worse. The next day, though? I could barely walk at all. So yeah, if I want to start doing some serious walking and not just around the block once, then I have to fix my foot. :(

Ugh - I'm sorry to hear about the plantar fasciitis, Leo. I had it some years back, and tried very hard to let it heal on its own. Finally gave in and saw a podiatrist and got it fixed. It's painful and annoying!

Good luck with the tenure! Very exciting. Fingers crossed!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back