The Coffee House

Great start to my day. DW wanted me to get up at the crack of dawn to go to a local grocery store that had a special "while supply lasts sale"....Eggs $2.99/dozen, and Chicken Legs $.59/lb. While she stayed in bed I hauled my butt out of bed, backed out of the garage into a dreary, cold, drizzling rain. Got to the store, I was 1 of only 3 in the whole $%$# store, no one else was crazy enough to get out in this weather. So then it's over to Walmart to do a pickup order for her (of course it was late getting ready). Then it was back to the drugstore to wait for opening time, they only had one of two that I ordered. Back home, I pull in the our nice clean, dry garage to unload. I open the hatch on the car, and out rolls a large bottle of Soy Sauce, which exploded in a spray of glass and Soy Sauce all over the floor, my shoes, and pants legs. 30 mins of cleaning, sweeping and mopping the floor later, I finally get the groceries unloaded....DW still in warm bed, says I didn't here you come in. :concern: So how is every one else doing this morning?
The cat puked. Does that help?

:lol: I'm guessing your day got better from there. It does sound kinda crappy.

Nah, your dignity matters. The soy sauce debacle falls into the category of what's called "Dumb Man Tricks" in my hovel.
When I was a dispatcher and someone would trip and fall, the rest of us held up cards with numbers like the Olympics judges. Only after the tally would we ask if they were Ok (“Do you need a %#*# ambulance?”)

Last edited:
It's a tempting idea but we are in suburbs. No HOA, but I'd have to check the County ordinances. Not to mention I know nothing about raising chickens.
Lots of people here in our small city have chickens. But they don’t lay as much in the colder months.

24 large free range white eggs for $4.99 at our Costco 2 wks ago. I mostly use liquid egg whites for breakfast and Princess is back at school so we’re set for a while.

@cgw over the years I've managed to push the emvelop in the "dumb tricks" category. Fortunately the worst cases were only outpatient and didn't require a long term hospital stay. 😅 All's well that ends well, other than the cold dampness outside, the rest of the day turned out pretty good.

@SquarePeg that's a good price on eggs. At the same store I was at they had 18 Large for $5.99. Oldest son has been on a fitness kick for several months. As part of his regiment he consumes a lot of egg whites. For the last few weeks there's been a shortage of them around Atlanta, forceing him to buy whole eggs and separate the yokes.

Last edited:
There's a local farm 2 miles away from me and I get my eggs there. I've always paid a bit more for them - not a huge amount more, but the extra cost is worth it to me. I mean, how much more locally-sourced can I get without raising the chickens myself? But I'm also buying eggs just for myself (and Sunday brunch with Buzz) and so I don't go through them super fast.

@cgw over the years I've managed to push the emvelop in the "dumb tricks" category. Fortunately the worst cases were only outpatient and didn't require a long term hospital stay. 😅 All's well that ends well, other than the cold dampness outside, the rest of the day turned out pretty good.

@SquarePeg that's a good price on eggs. At the same store I was at they had 18 Large for $5.99. Oldest son has been on a fitness kick for several months. As part of his regiment he consumes a lot of egg whites. For the last few weeks there's been a shortage of them around Atlanta, forceing him to buy whole eggs and separate the yokes.
We have had the same issue here. Sometimes the egg whites are available and sometimes not. The good news is they have a decently long shelf life until opened so I stock up when I see them. What does he do with the yokes? You could make a nice custard! Of course that would cancel out the health benefits of the egg whites...

There's a local farm 2 miles away from me and I get my eggs there. I've always paid a bit more for them - not a huge amount more, but the extra cost is worth it to me. I mean, how much more locally-sourced can I get without raising the chickens myself? But I'm also buying eggs just for myself (and Sunday brunch with Buzz) and so I don't go through them super fast.
Farm fresh eggs are so much better tasting than store bought! I tend to only eat egg whites and use real eggs mostly for baking or in other dishes, so I don't get the fresh ones unless we're doing a brunch.

I'm already doing most of these and still my short term memory stinks. An 81-year-old brain doctor's 7 'hard rules' for keeping your memory 'sharp as a whip'
I'l have to vet this and then show it to my mom. She takes this stuff really to heart as two of her siblings have/had dementia. I have to be careful what I say or share with her! After telling her about an article that said dancing was good for your brain because it forced your brain to improvise your next move, she was dancing all around and tripped over the dog. Fortunately she didn't hurt herself too badly.

Well, there won't be any smoke on the water or frozen soap bubbles for me tomorrow. It's too windy here for the soap bubbles and temps are going to be dangerously low at the coast. Considered going to Portland ME but -12° in the wind is forecasted to be "feels like" -42°F. No thanks. Also if it's super windy you won't really get the smoke effect anyway. The reward not worth the risk.

What does he do with the yokes
Some get used elsewhere, some get pitched. He's lost about 50lbs and thanks to his diet and daily gym workout, has muscle he hadn't seen since a teenager. 😁

, she was dancing all around and tripped over the dog.

Bless her heart I know I shouldn't be laughing, but this sounds like something I'd do. My balance isn't as good as it used to be, and my knees give out sometimes without warning.

Well, there won't be any smoke on the water or frozen soap bubbles for me tomorrow. It's too windy here for the soap bubbles and temps are going to be dangerously low at the coast. Considered going to Portland ME but -12° in the wind is forecasted to be "feels like" -42°F. No thanks. Also if it's super windy you won't really get the smoke effect anyway. The reward not worth the risk.
Love your frozen bubbles. I tried 2 winters and gave up. The wind is not your friend for photographing.

Poor pup Oscar has been touchy and not wanting to jump onto the furniture. Steps were a tad difficult. Vet appointment today and he has somehow injured his back about half way down. Hopefully with 2 weeks of meds and rest he will be okay.

Poor pup Oscar has been touchy and not wanting to jump onto the furniture. Steps were a tad difficult. Vet appointment today and he has somehow injured his back about half way down. Hopefully with 2 weeks of meds and rest he will be okay.
Poor baby!

7BE16085-3C27-4954-910F-961D82A0DD7B.jpeg

The wind was just viscous last night and this morning. Currently stalling letting the dog out for as long as I can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back