The D7100

What about the AF??? 51 points and D600 has 39. 15 cross points on the D7100 vs 9 on D600? It's a let down. They should line the cameras accordingly to price. Not have a entry DX and Flagship DX then a entry FX and a flagship FX. Should go up in steps.

The pricing of the D7100 is at $1,199.95. I wonder how much the D7000 will drop in price.

Nikon D7100 - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews

The D7000 body only is $1350 right now on Nikon's site... SWEET!! its gone up in price since i bought it!!! Time to get mine listed in the classifieds for a discounted price of $1k :)

Me thinks that the D7000 is becoming a collector's item hence the increase in price! Haha! :D

Seriously, the price quoted is that of the body only version. For those wanting to upgrade, it's best to wait a few more months. And I'm anxious to see actual reviews of the product and and not just paper comparisons.

PS Personally, I still see no reason to upgrade from my D3100. It still works. And I still seriously need to upgrade my skills more than I need a new body. But i'm just having gear envy. :)

What about the AF??? 51 points and D600 has 39. 15 cross points on the D7100 vs 9 on D600? It's a let down. They should line the cameras accordingly to price. Not have a entry DX and Flagship DX then a entry FX and a flagship FX. Should go up in steps.

Not sure what your talking about... but the D600 is an ENTRY LEVEL CAMERA (FX sensors just costs more). If you want a better AF system on a FX body get the D800 or D4.

What I am very eager to see is the new Canon 7DII or what ever will be the name of it.
If the price of it will be indeed 2200 Pounds then either its going to be an AMAZING camera leaving the D7200 in the dust or it will be just an overpriced DX camera and the D7200 will be the logical camera to get.
In this price range I would go for the D600 after all Full Frame IS Full Frame!!!

In this price range I would go for the D600 after all Full Frame IS Full Frame!!!

I'd shoot on m4/3 if there was a camera that meet my needs. Sensor size isn't always the answer.

Take a D600 and try to shoot a swimming meet. Most of the time you have a dimly lit indoor pool with 300% humidity (give or take 200%). The camera has to ignore all the distractions (reflections and splashing water) and focus on your target swimmer. AF speed, AF accuracy and FPS are the only things that help when you have split seconds to get the ideal shot.

I'd shoot on m4/3 if there was a camera that meet my needs. Sensor size isn't always the answer.

Take a D600 and try to shoot a swimming meet. Most of the time you have a dimly lit indoor pool with 300% humidity (give or take 200%). The camera has to ignore all the distractions (reflections and splashing water) and focus on your target swimmer. AF speed, AF accuracy and FPS are the only things that help when you have split seconds to get the ideal shot.

True, I guess in my case FF is the winner but not in all cases.
I love night photography and landscape so for me FF is a dream, any kind of sports of fast moving stuff bores me unless its cars and I am the driver LOL.

In any case with my skills and curent knowladge anything more then a cell phone camera is waist anyways but I do get 4+ for trying :)

PS-ok I might not be cell phone camera material but I still do have A LOT to learn!!!

It seems D7100 won't be a replace for D300s. Yes it has new AF system and sensor but it's still not so usefull for professional reportage, sport ans wildlife photographers becouse of small image buffer and low fps. And if Canon 7DMk2 will as half as good as rumoured Nikon have no exit must present D400 as a rival.
I don't think Nicon let Canon take it piece of cake.

For the recod, I'm really annoyed that neither the D600 nor the D7100 got a flip screen.

I am glad that they DON'T have the flip screen. It just seems gimicky to me and the biggest reason that I got rid of the D5100 after less than a week of ownership.

That's the biggest reason? why? if it's a convenience feature like a flip screen and you don't like it then you don't have to use it. It's just handy should you need it.

For the recod, I'm really annoyed that neither the D600 nor the D7100 got a flip screen.

I am glad that they DON'T have the flip screen. It just seems gimicky to me and the biggest reason that I got rid of the D5100 after less than a week of ownership.

That's the biggest reason? why? if it's a convenience feature like a flip screen and you don't like it then you don't have to use it. It's just handy should you need it.

I think the most of people who 'don't like' flip screen just are not sure it's durable.
And I doubt in its durability, too.

Durable in what respect ? If you dont flip it, its obviously just as "durable" as an ordinary screen. Which means - not very durable. I heard even the monitor of the Leica M9-P, which is protected by sapphire glass, is phrone to breaking.

In fact in case of a D5100/D5200 style flipscreen, you can flip it backward and then its potentially *more* durable than an ordinary screen, because now the screen is protected. If the whole thing would have been made from metal, like my old Canon Powershot G11, it would actually be protected pretty well.

I dont really get the whole durability debate anyway. These are cameras. Throw them to the ground and the glas breaks. Even if its a Leica. So: durability ? Um, sorry, nope.

Whats more, these are digital cameras. Wait 10 years and you'll probably have a hard time getting replacement batteries. Wait 20 years and trying to run one of them will be a science project, with no matching compatible memorycards, batteries etc available anymore.

So yeah, I rather have more control over shooting from unusual angles, than whatever durability people think these cameras are supposed to have. The flipscreen on my D5100 is super practical and gets used all the time.

The old D7000 wasn't meant to replace the D300 either. I don't know why you all just don't get the D600/D800 and quit all this fussing about wanting a consumer grade BestBuy camera for a couple of dollars to perform.

I think the most of people who 'don't like' flip screen just are not sure it's durable.
And I doubt in its durability, too.

I agree! If it was such a great feature, you would find it on the PRO bodies.. which are loaded with every feature that is useful. As it is, you find it on Point 'n' Shoots and Entry level bodies.

I agree! If it was such a great feature, you would find it on the PRO bodies.. which are loaded with every feature that is useful. As it is, you find it on Point 'n' Shoots and Entry level bodies.

This argues only that a feature isn't useful to pros. Professionals tend to use cameras in different ways than amateurs.

This argues only that a feature isn't useful to pros. Professionals tend to use cameras in different ways than amateurs.

YES.. they do! ;) That was sort of my point... which group typically gets better images, and needs true reliability?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back