The D7100

DCerezo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So... It was just announced! What are everyone's thoughts? Only thing I'm a little bummed about is that she's got better AF than my brandy new D600... Other than that let down I'm still going to pick up the D7000 as a backup (I have a bunch of DX lenses). But... And that's a big BUT... If I happen to run into some extra cash, $1200 doesn't seem unreasonable for the D7100 body (I can't believe I'm even saying that).

Eh... Just got my d7k in the mail tonight so just my luck. Don't see myself returning it. Love it more than I thought I would... Besides I need a good tele and flash. So that $400 I save is better spent on those items for me personally... I think!

Looks good. Reckon I know what I'll be getting myself in a year or two (If I'm not seduced by full frame).

Some great improvements, some disappointments. Clearly it is each to their own, but for me, the improvement in AF ability is huge, especially with the ability to autofocus at f8. This will allow for a 600mm f4 lens to retain its full functionality with a 2xTC attached, giving 1200mm reach. Taking the 1.5 crop factor into account, full autofocus is available at the equivalent crop factor of 1800mm with 24mp... this will be a HUGE benefit for wildlife photographers....

Ahh I'm excited! I really want to get this! The only thing holding me back is the price so I think I'll be waiting a bit before I can get my hands on one

Last edited by a moderator:
Well having watched the video if they aimed that camera to replace and steal the market from the Canon 7D - they've done well! Very well indeed with a launch price that fits it into that same price bracket very smoothly (and that's before any market depreciation or settling of prices - although with Nikon having stricter pricing policies at the moment that might be muted).

I wonder what the buffer is like. Aside from the AF system and body, I think the best thing going for it is its new crop. That will be great for birding and wildlife.

So... It was just announced! What are everyone's thoughts? Only thing I'm a little bummed about is that she's got better AF than my brandy new D600... Other than that let down I'm still going to pick up the D7000 as a backup (I have a bunch of DX lenses). But... And that's a big BUT... If I happen to run into some extra cash, $1200 doesn't seem unreasonable for the D7100 body (I can't believe I'm even saying that).

Personally I would sell the DX lenses, and use the money to upgrade what FX lenses you have. The FX lenses would be usable on both (and typically have better quality then the DX lenses).

It will be interesting to see how the new D7100 compares with the D600.

Disappointed, I was hoping for a successor to the D300, not a compromise between it and the D7000.

I guess this is as good as it gets for DX.

Disappointed, I was hoping for a successor to the D300, not a compromise between it and the D7000.

I guess this is as good as it gets for DX.

That 1.3x crop is impressive!

On the subject of FX lenses... How useful is that 24mm 2.8 prime for portraits?

Using WA for portraiture can be a problem. You can get perspective distortion very easily with WA lenses... if you get to close. And with WA's, you almost have to get close.. to fill the frame. Perspective Distortion Effects Planned or Accidental

and you still get 28mm type distortion, even on a crop body. 50mm is the minimum I would recommend.. and 70 up preferably

Most reactions

Back