SteveEllis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The dangers of bad spelling.

The spelling mistake in the following sentence completely changes the meaning :

"The old man was under the wether"

What the writer was trying to say is the old man looks a bit down and tired. What the writer has actually said is the old man was under a castrated sheep!!

Heres the definitions :
The climate is made up of “weather”; whether it is nice out depends on whether it is raining or not. A wether is just a castrated sheep.

So, if you are in a photoshoot and the photographer says "Can I make you look a little wethered" you may want to confirm his intentions :lmao:

Take care guys :lol:

I only have one real hate:
People who use 'graphical' when they really mean 'graphic'.
'Graphical' is actually to do with graphs. So 'graphical design' means designing graphs.

And people who do not understand the real meaning of words so bung in redundant qualifiers. For example 'we have a well stocked book library'.

And people who do not understand absolutes, in particular perfect and unique, and try to qualify them.

And people who do not understand the difference between 'could' and 'would'.
'Could you do this?' is asking if it is possible to do something.
'Would you do this?' is actually asking to have it done.

And anyone who claims that they use English when they so obviously don't. That means you, America :lol:

And anyone who claims that they use English when they so obviously don't. That means you, America :lol:

We do use a unique dialect. I get perturbed by the "we-bee's, woulda, shoulda, coulda's. Or the question "Can I?" when it should be "May I?" But we all nitpick a little, don't we? Spelling has never been my forte, and never will. I recently read an article in a professional journal. It claimed that if the first and last letter in each word of a sentence was correct, and the total number of letters was correct, but jumbled up, then the human brain could still read the sentence. So, if the rmaienedr of the sntenece lokeod lkie tihs, it can slitl be raed. Itnretsnig!

jstuedle said:
It claimed that if the first and last letter in each word of a sentence was correct, and the total number of letters was correct, but jumbled up, then the human brain could still read the sentence.

I've read that somewhere as well. The report on the investigation was all written with that method:

"Aoccdrnig to a rseaerch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Really interesting indeed.

It is also said that if you cover up the lower part of a letter, word or sentence, you could also still make out what it said.

I cant talk with you about bad spelling. well, maybe I can, because I misspell a lot.. hehe. But I do try to learn everything as correct as possible, and spell to the best of my knowledge. Witch fails me from time to time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back