The Decline of Kodak...What Happened?

I don't think the Japanese stole the color film formula. like the Toyota auto; they just made a better one. our best ali, thanks to Mc Arthur. vin

Kodak was in the same position as the buggy whip makers were when the model T came out.

It would have been hard to command the digital camera market when Kodak did not develop and patent the necessary component parts. Like 8 tracks, cassette tapes, and VCRs, technology closed door.

Very interesting post.

Thanks for posting

35 mm film; I am about to shoot a roll in my old Leica, have not used it for years. when looking on line film, Kodac was EVERY WHERE ! I thought they were T. U.. I like Fugi color at about 200 asa wow; is that expensive now. it appears that a new brand is on the market, is that true?

35 mm film; I am about to shoot a roll in my old Leica, have not used it for years. when looking on line film, Kodac was EVERY WHERE ! I thought they were T. U.. I like Fugi color at about 200 asa wow; is that expensive now. it appears that a new brand is on the market, is that true?
There is a lot of brands on the market now. The two main ones are Ilford and Kodak. I prefer Kodak 400TX better known as TriX, for B & W, love the grain structure. For color, I like Kodak Porta 400 the best and for general use Kodak Color Plus 200 or Gold 200. I always thought Superia had a blue cast where the Kodak was more earthy toned. Kodal Ektar 100 is splendid for landscape, very sharp film but not too kind on skin color.

If your located in the US, Ultrafine Extreme 400 (b&w) is really nice, and cheap. I just had a chance to shoot a short roll given to me by a fellow film shooter. It has real nice tonal range and dries down super flat, has a nice thick feel to it. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed. The grain structure is pretty nice as well.

Last edited:
It’s cine film that’s keeping 35mm C-41 alive and I suspect remjet-free materials will be in Kodak’s little cans in the near future. Not optimistic about Ektachrome’s future due mainly to cost and scarcity of pro-lab quality processing.

Most reactions

Back