Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
well, not really.
this was actually more of a "need" purchase than a "just 'cause i want it" purchase.
as many of you know, we usually do most of our "long range" shooting with primes. (I prefer primes)
however, we have some jobs coming up soon that MIGHT have some situations with limited movement potential.
SOOOO, in order to combat the potential issues that could arise with the inability to foot zoom, I finally purchased a 70-200 f/2.8 lens.
A brand new Tamron, from the photo store we frequent in town. (with 6 year warranty) I went with the Tamron, well, because we have been nothing but ecstatic with our other Tamron lenses, and we got to test a few of them out before I bought it. the AF is extremely fast, and it seems easy enough to handhold. (certaintly easier than my 300mm f/4 Nikkor)

I suspect we will probably only have an actual "need" for this lens a few times a year. most of the time, the mid range zooms, or our primes are sufficient.
(we always get close to the subject whenever possible, keeps stuff from getting in between)
i DID look at the 80-400 VR, and really thought about it....but we don't shoot any wildlife, and I need the larger aperture more than the extra 200mm.
so, there it is. have to get it out for some test shots soon. see how she does.

View attachment 50316

I have had one for around a year now and for the most part been happy with it. I use it all the time. esp with cars. bad news is the darn thing broke on me. stopped focusing when I was out catching drift cars this weekend, talk about the wrong time to go down. but it's on it's way to Tamron hopefully all under warantee and there turn around is supposed to be really good. like I should have it back with in a weeks time. It is a bit soft at 2.8 which is to be expected. Just make sure also to keep your hands off the focus ring when your using autofocus because that can blow the focus motor as well.It talks about it in the manual.

I use the Nikon 70-200mm f4 VR for this ... glas like 300mm f2.8 VR is no option for my budget, though.

Wimpy-weak-ass- crap.
Real men pay cash and shoot this hand-held for birds-in-flight or charging rhinos.

800mm.jpg~original

Congratz, but I don't understand the comment "and it seems easy enough to handhold. (certaintly easier than my 300mm f/4 Nikkor)". The 300mm f/4 is pretty easy to handhold for me.

Congratz, but I don't understand the comment "and it seems easy enough to handhold. (certaintly easier than my 300mm f/4 Nikkor)". The 300mm f/4 is pretty easy to handhold for me.

My old AF 300 f/4 was bigger. And heavier. And i didnt use it near enough to become overly proficient with it.

My old AF 300 f/4 was bigger. And heavier. And i didnt use it near enough to become overly proficient with it.

Great looking lens. I am sure it will perform well for you.

I hand-hold my af 300f/4 and while I have absolutely no issues carrying it around and shooting all day long (use a cotton carrier when not shooting) I certainly need fast shutter speeds hand held without the vr.

Last edited:
Oh, drat, 300mm f4 not 300mm f2.8 VR ... yeah I guess thats still quite affordable. Such a long telephoto lens without VR aint not much of a fun idea to me, though.

I would have to have a gun to my head to buy a Tamron

I have had nothing but good experiences with Tamron. We have a 17-50 and 28-75 that we got many years ago that still perform well.

I would have to have a gun to my head to buy a Tamron

I have had nothing but good experiences with Tamron. We have a 17-50 and 28-75 that we got many years ago that still perform well.

What does 'hook, line and sinker' mean? - Yahoo! Answers

Was I gullible for believing Tamron has a good product or gullible for believing you would never get one? Some people are very brand picky and/or brand elitist.
Thus far, it seems to work rather well.

What does 'hook, line and sinker' mean? - Yahoo! Answers

Was I gullible for believing Tamron has a good product or gullible for believing you would never get one? Some people are very brand picky and/or brand elitist.

Im into Leica now but have Voiglander lenses, until i sell of my digital gear

Im into Leica now but have Voiglander lenses, until i sell of my digital gear

Your owe me a new keyboard now.......

Also what all of it - even - even - even the God lens? You can't sell the god lens - I mean I guess you could but it would be a crime against, well, against everything (and then what would you shoot sports/horses/stuff with).

Most reactions

Back