the difference between continious and strobes

germacran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi
from long time i want to ask a few questions :
what is difference between continuous light and strobe light ?
why the strobe light only freeze action although it is 600 watt and continuous also
600 watt
is the difference is duration of light in flash is fraction of second and in cont it is light all the time?
what is best flash hot shoe such as (canon , sigma , etc) or strobe head such as elinchrome and others what is strongest in light ?
if the hot shoe is the best how can i operate master flash and two slaves (i have one sigma 530 dg ) what i need beside this
i am waiting for your answers
thanks a lot

hi
what is difference between continuous light and strobe light ?why the strobe light only freeze action although it is 600 watt and continuous also
600 watt
is the difference is duration of light in flash is fraction of second and in cont it is light all the time?
what is best flash hot shoe such as (canon , sigma , etc) or strobe head such as elinchrome and others what is strongest in light ?
if the hot shoe is the best how can i operate master flash and two slaves (i have one sigma 530 dg ) what i need beside this i am waiting for your answers
thanks a lot
yes you got the continuous strob dif down
it depends
hot shoe is not best you need trigger system for slaves
wait no more
de nada, vato.

it looks like your shift and period keys aren't working on your keyboard.

hi
what is difference between continuous light and strobe light ?
"Continous" is continous; "strobe", aka "flash", is one for only a short duration.

why the strobe light only freeze action although it is 600 watt and continuous also
600 watt

There is absolutely no such thing as a 600 watt strobe, period. The unit of measure used with strobes/flashes is "watt seconds" and not "watts". They aren't interchangable or convertable as they measure different attributes.

yes.

what is the best for photographing products , food , advertising agecies
storbes or continuous?

Product and food photography can be done successfully with both, particularly since you have complete control over the shooting environment and don't need to freeze motion.

If you're asking how to actually get a good shot, you need to start thinking about the quality of the light, and not necessarily the light source itself.

I read somewhere about someone who was testing strobe output and trying to actually compare it to the wattage of a continuous light. It was something like 100,000 watts.

A strobe/flash packs all that light output into a small fraction of a second. It varies, depending on the type of strobe and the power output but it could be as fast as 1/10,000.

As that relates to photography, when shooting with strobes your shutter speed does not affect the exposure from the flash. This makes it much easier to avoid blur from camera or subject movement....so it's great for shooting people.

Your exposure from continuous light relies on the shutter speed & aperture (and ISO). So you find that you need to use longer shutter speeds to get enough exposure, but that opens the possibility of blur from camera or subject movement.

It's hard to say which is 'best'.
As for power, flash units are rated by their GN (guide number) and strobe units usually have a rating in watt seconds. More power isn't always better though.

if the hot shoe is the best how can i operate master flash and two slaves (i have one sigma 530 dg ) what i need beside this
I assume you have a Canon camera? You could get a 580EX flash to be the 'master' and then use the Sigma as a slave. You could get another 580EX or a 430EX as another slave.

The big advantage for me is that continous lights allow me to compose the lighting before the shot. Most good continous lights for photography will have a "dial down" feature. This allows you to see the results of lighting without constantly working in the heat of the modeling light.

The big advantage for me is that continous lights allow me to compose the lighting before the shot.
Good point. When shooting with continuous lighting, what you see is what you get. However, most studio strobes also have 'modeling lights' which give you an approximation of what the shot will be like and let you see what you are doing.

On the flip side, when shooting with flash/strobe, the camera can't meter the scene (unless you get flash units that are compatible with your camera's E-TTL system, but they are more expensive)...so you need to find another way to meter your lighting. A flash meter, for example.
Learning to shoot with flash/strobe is harder than learning to shoot with continuous lighting, but it's well worth it IMO.

very good answer big Mike thanks
if you have the source of info that strobe have 100,000 watt , please mention it

Most reactions

Back