The Digital and Film Photography Crossroads

Sobek5150

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
community.webshots.com
Ok, here's the deal, short and sweet. I own a Canon Rebel 35mm, the original one. I've had it for about 5 years, and recently(past year) I've really gotten into using it. I love photography, and have for years. I've just begun to really understand the concepts of good photography and excellent exposure. My question is, should I move into a digital SLR at this point, or should I upgrade my film SLR. The few camera's I've been looking at are the Canon 20D, 30D, 5D / Olympus EVOLT E-330, 500 / Minolta Maxxum 7(apparently discontinued). So if anyone could leave feedback on my situation, these camera's, and/or any other camera's any of you might think are good choices, it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

What subject matter do you shoot? Why do you feel you need to upgrade from the Rebel? What features do you think would be useful for your photography?

Welcome to the forum.

The digital revolution has certainly revitalized many people's interest in photography. The ability to have instant feedback and to shoot almost unlimited frames...are very alluring.

It is expensive though. You really have to examine the costs vs the benefits for you personally.

Since you use a Canon, it would make sense that you look at a Canon DSLR, if that's the direction you are headed. The entry level DLSR cameras are quite similar to your film Rebel. The Rebel XT and the new Rebel XTi are the models to look at. If you want to take a step up, then the 20D/30D would be the next model to look at. The body is more metal, rather than plastic...and the control layout is different. For many people, the Rebel cameras are too small...but some like that they are small and light. The best thing to do...is to go into a shop and hold them yourself. You could even go with a smaller Rebel camera, but add the battery grip.

If you were to upgrade your film camera...the ELAN series (Elan 7n being the newest one) is a step up from the Rebel...or you could even get a good deal on an EOS 5 or EOS 3. There is always the pro bodies, the 1 series...those things are tanks.

I would enthusiastically recommend upgrading to digital. I have a few basic reasons for this:

1. Modern DSLR's actually produce better image quality than 35mm film. That's opinion and many would disagree.
2. Post processing work in digital is significantly easier, cheaper and faster than with a darkroom and film.
3. All equipment innovation is aimed at digital not at analog photography. In fact, most manufacturers have already abandoned film cameras. While Canon hasn't, it wouldn't be hard to imagine they will when it makes business sense to do so.
4. Film is more expensive to use than digital and will become more so as time goes on.

I would suggest you choose a Canon DSLR. You can use your existing lens or lenses and you will be involved in a broad and flexible photographic system with first class equipment. While Olympus is a great brand (I still have an Olympus OM2 system) Canon is a broader and deeper line with a larger base. Honestly, I see no advantage at all in moving to another film camera. Good luck with the decision.

For me its coming down to basic economics!

I like the old school film but as soon as I shoot 2 or more films a month I may as well go digital and i could shoot as many shots as I like.

I also think it would help me develop my style - being able to review what I have done understand how the shot was achieved and what settings where used etc.

FMW makes a good point suggesting a Digital body that can use your lenses, easy way in and a little less cost!

Most reactions

Back