the digital rebel is kinda tiny...

yepp, it just dosnt feel like a camera, just cheap and dosnt fit ur hand nice

The 1D Mark II N is massive. I think the battery pack alone weighs as much as 2 Rebels. I love it though, but to be honest I struggle to point the camera steady for more than about 30 seconds one handed with the 70-200 with TC mounted. Actually, recently I had all the above *and* the 430EX mounted (I was at a school function and I really needed the reach to get the people who were guest speakers).......but an Ixus just wouldn't have done the job:)

I think the 350D feels like a bit of a toy - but basically same internals as mine so no worries on the quality!

i dont own one but i have been in and out of stores comparing them for the last few months. i like the grip and feel way more in the nikon. but if feild studies is your goal every bit of wieght counts on those long hauls. i suspect the cannon would be good for that. but how strong physically is it compared to the nikon?

with the additional battery grip, (which youll probably end up getting anyway), the 350 is the perfect size. not to mention its very light. i keep a 350D as my backup on shoots. works perfect for me, and takes GREAT shots.

to be honest I love the feeling of rebel xt.. it suits perfectly to my hands. when i tried 30d or 20d they were toobig and too heavy for me! same was with nikon d70s and d200! they are too big!

Buy a nice tripod, and mount it on there permanently. You'll get sharper pictures, and you'll never notice how tiny or light it is. Image quality is paramount imho.

I have to agree. I prefer the D70 over the XT. I shoot a Canon 10D, my husband has the D70. We both thought the XT was very small and light feeling, but it's totally personal preference.

I own a Rebel XT an I really like the feel of it! It lays perfectly in my hand and isn't too heavy for me... my dad owns a 30D an this one really is to heavy for me...

I'm on 35mm, and I use a Nikon FE along with an MD-12 motordrive, and it’s like carrying a really loud anvil, its great! :) I've been searching about for DSLR's for school and IMO, the D70 is still too small for my big hands. I'm spending the extra $1000 on a D200 and the MB-D200 vertical grip, just because it’s the only thing that's big enough for me and Nikon makes something with a vertical shutter release for it, unlike the D70.

Oh yeah, the D200 isn't plastic. I HATE PLASTIC SLR'S!

I will have to admit that the 350D can feel quite 'cheap' and small, but out of all honesty, if I was to look at two identical pictures, taken by the 20D (as I have never used a 30) and 350D I strongly doubt I could tell the difference. I personally use it was the battery grip, which adds a tiny bit of weight and feel of 'sturdiness'.

Ok, now a related question. I read somewhere that the plastic on the black rebel is prone to scratching by fingernails and such. Is there any truth to this and could the silver be better?

Well, I just tested it out on my black 350D, and the only 'damage' done was the finger marks left on the LCD screen. I checked over the entire body and there is an odd scratch or two, but it has been used quite regularly for over a year.
That is not a complaint I have heard of before, but I am curious if anyone on TPF has experienced the mentioned problem.

Most reactions

Back