The dogs @ the park C&C please!

Poena Canalis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few I took today of my Standard Poodles. I'm still learning but i'm happy with the results. I've only had my camera (Nikon D90) about a week i'm sure it shows! I'm just using the kit lens that came with it for now. I was a little nervous about posting photos but I figure it's the only way to get better.

I'll try to include all the photo information with each photograph to try and (hopefully) get tips on how to improve or what I should work on. Thanks to any who view.

dodgervega2.jpg

f/16 1/200 sec. ISO-400
focal length 50mm
aperture 4.6

dodgervega.jpg

f/16 1/200 sec. ISO-280
focal length 34mm
aperture 4.2

I hope I posted these correctly with the right info for some feedback. If not feel free to let me know. Thanks again in advance!

Last edited:
They look a little overexposed. if you have a program (Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, etc) you can fix this very easily. You might also try underexposing your shots a little in the camera when you are in bright conditions such as this.

Also, your ISO should be as low as it goes in this lighting... 400 is WAY too high for that first shot. Keep it at 100-200 (Depending which is the lowest for your camera)

I have Lightroom and Photoshop cs2, i'll see what I can do. I haven't used either program very much. Thanks!

I have Lightroom and Photoshop cs2, i'll see what I can do. I haven't used either program very much. Thanks!

I edited my post at the same time you replied so I'm not sure if you saw the second half.

Okay, thanks. I'll remember that for next time. I plan on going out there daily taking pictures until I get the hang of this thing. The camera was a gift so I have very little knowledge about digital photography but this website has been more then helpful so far.

I also found I really enjoy it and it gives me a reason to get out of the house and go do something.

Thanks again for your help, I really need & appreciate it.

Okay, thanks. I'll remember that for next time. I plan on going out there daily taking pictures until I get the hang of this thing. The camera was a gift so I have very little knowledge about digital photography but this website has been more then helpful so far.

I also found I really enjoy it and it gives me a reason to get out of the house and go do something.

Thanks again for your help, I really need & appreciate it.

That's the best thing to do. Sure, we can help answer questions here, but you won't fully grasp it until you have gone out and done it for yourself.

Only looking at the exif data you provided, I'm taking a t stab at Program mode was used. Nothing wrong with that, but had you used Aperture or Manual and opened you aperture to (I see at least ...) f/4.2, this would have created some additional separation between your pooches and the background. The background as is, is a bit ...... not contributing IMO, f/16 is way too stopped down IMO. You are overexposed, but that can be a good thing because the right side of the histogram holds the treasures and can be brought down to a managable level without increasing noise.

You may also want to look at boosting saturation slightly. I'm sure their tounges aren't that pale.

Thanks, I was actually shooting in Manual mode so I could have changed that. That's all i've really shot in so far.

Good on 'ya. Apologies for the assumption of Program mode. But I still hold firm on opening the aperture much, much more than f/16. I don't know what lens you are using, but "in general" most lenses will be at their sharpest around f/8 +/-. By opening your aperture and having distance between your subject and the background (it looks like ~10'-0" in your shots....which is good), this helps to isolate your subject and aids in making them "pop". So, you're on the right track, but just need a bit more play with settings. Cute pooches BTW. I volunteer at my local animal shelter.

Thanks, that information helps a lot. So by opening it up i'd have more of a blurred background? I was actually wanting that..

I took a black and white photo course in college but to be honest I ended up just doing whatever I wanted to do. I was so excited about printing and developing my own film that everything else went in one ear and out the other... :er:

Live and learn I suppose! So now i'm trying to pick it up with digital photography and it's getting there but I'm enjoying everything i've read so far and in another post someone gave me some very helpful links. I don't know why I picked f/16 I had read somewhere about using it in bright sunlight but I may have misunderstood what I read, it happens.

Thanks for the comments about the pups as well. I also have a German Shepherd and a Great Pyrenees and they were both rescue dogs. The brown/white poodle was a rehoming situation but still from a good breeder and the dark one was my first actual dog i've bought from a breeder. I'm a dog groomer and wanted a dog for grooming competitions in the near future.

I don't know why I picked f/16 I had read somewhere about using it in bright sunlight but I may have misunderstood what I read, it happens.

Yes, you read about the "Sunny 16" guide. I've read it too.
But you also need to think about what your range of stops do, and what you are trying to accomplish.

I don't know why I picked f/16 I had read somewhere about using it in bright sunlight but I may have misunderstood what I read, it happens.

Yes, you read about the "Sunny 16" guide. I've read it too.
But you also need to think about what your range of stops do, and what you are trying to accomplish.

I'm glad I at least know I read it somewhere! Thanks.

Here is after I messed with it in photoshop. I haven't had photoshop for too long either but here goes.

dodgervegaps-1.jpg

Last edited:
That's too dark, try something in the middle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back