The end of DSLR ?

yea.. sure... whatever... when crappy phone cameras turn out decent IQ... if they ever do. Haven't seen it yet...

doubt if it will ever happen....

Go out and try to find a high-quality LCD panel.

They're harder and harder to find for anything close to reasonable $... because (statistically) nooooooooooooooooooooooooooobody cares.

It's an interesting thing to consider, but it'll be a while. :)

I thought I read an article where DSLRs sales are UP just a short time ago? One reason other manufacturers are entering the dSLR market.

Well this is how I see this.

It is very cool to have a DSLR in your hand but I think for those who are not real photography fans it becomes old very fast especially if you have a camera on hand with your cell phone.
I also know all of us here will never carry a smartphone in a thought that this is "my everyday camera".
Tiny sensor, no real lens and forget about control or RAW.
I think DSLR and mirrorless cameras market has grown very big because of non photography fans buying cameras but now I simply think the market will shrink back to its real size, the real size is of those who really love photography.
Real fans want to have the big array of lenses, they want the control, they want the RAW, they want the picture quality......etc
These people will continue to buy good cameras so I think/hope the DSLR/Mirrorless market will not disappear but simply shrink back to its real size.

Anyways I dont see a pro photographer going to shoot a wedding with his cell phone :) he/she will need a good camera so that already promises the continuation of these cameras.

They're harder and harder to find for anything close to reasonable $... because (statistically) nooooooooooooooooooooooooooobody cares.

True...

maybe if photography becomes more specialized like it used to be... and components become more expensive, maybe we will see fewer Amateur Pro's! lol! ;)

Read this and it does worry me.
Yeah... maybe you right to be worry. Prices of dslrs will go up when the smartphones take over the world. I guess world will also need a lot of new servers to store the increased avalanche of works. Eventually that might spell the end of any meaningful digital picture taking.

The "SLR" part of "DSLR" is certainly going to go away very soon. But the "pro" grade camera will be around forever.

maybe we will see fewer Amateur Pro's! lol! ;)
I am afraid of the opposite: More, many more, almost everyone who would like to call that himself.

I've actually thought a lot about this, but from a slightly different standpoint. I don't worry so much that people will cease to care about the quality of photos. The nuances of any art form are always most appreciated by those that practice it, meaning that most of what you pro's use to qualify a photo as "Good" or "bad" is lost on most people.

I think the factor that's going to drive this trend is going to be that smartphone cameras are EVERYWHERE, and they tend to get lucky just based on the numbers. When the unexpected happens and there are 100 smartphones shooting 4000 pictures and uploading them to social media without any time to edit more than a smartphone is capable of, someone is going to get lucky and get a "Good" shot. Probably multiple someones. And the pro that took the time to get a technically "Great" shot is going to have a hard time paying the bills with his shots.

Weddings, family gatherings... events where one pays a photographer to show up and shoot can produce the same effect. One or two pros against another 100 smartphones. Brides and Grooms don't know what makes a good photo anymore than the rest of the world, so they're likely to have favorites shot by their 16 year old niece.

I imagine it's how I feel when my band goes on after the opener plays "Free Bird" and "Mustang Sally" for 45 minutes. I've got songs that I've honed for years, and put my guts out for everyone to see by writing, but it's not always what people want to hear. Particularly drunk people.

Last edited:

True...

maybe if photography becomes more specialized like it used to be... and components become more expensive, maybe we will see fewer Amateur Pro's! lol! ;)

Be afraid Charlie, be very afraid: An Entire Wedding Shot On An iPhone And Processed Using Instagram | Fstoppers

Joe

Nikon won't be around in 5 years. Haha. Lay off the crack. Yeah smartphones are that majority of people's everyday camera but dslrs won't disappear. Pros will never use a phone for weddings and the quality in a phone will never match a Dslr. I'm so skeptical about the 41mp camera phone. I doubt it's really that good.

Most reactions

Back