The End of the Lens (Yeah...Right)

PlanetStarbucks

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Paper-Thin, Distortion-Free Lenses Could Make Pint-Sized Pro Cameras Possible

Just read this article about an experimental type of lens that uses a paper thin wafer of silicon and gold to achieve ultra wide angles and telephotos. Interesting idea, one that I could see for phones and P&S. The authors seem to believe that it could end the modular lens system altogether.

I'm somewhat more skeptical about that until I know more about what the actual application would be. I didn't find anything in the article about how it would interact with aperatures and I have a hard time believing serious photographers giving that up. However, imagine using these type of lens in a hybrid lens configuration. Maybe it would mean SLR lens without distortion of chromatic aberration that don't cost a fortune.

Huh. Yeah....pretty cool! I am putting in a pre-order for one, later this year probably. After I finish paying off the flying car I ordered from Popular Mechanics magazine back in 1989. I think this new application sounds really cool, and I'd love to talk more about it...oh...no time, must go ASAP...incoming call on the holo-phone! C Ya!

Aw man, you beat me to it. It's definitely an interesting concept. How would one adjust aperture if it's just a wafer, though?

I'm sure either Nikon or Canon will try to acquire this technology, modify it and soon we will be able to fit pro cameras and 1000mm lenses in our pockets.

Using an ultrathin wafer of silicon and gold to focus lightwaves

bet the dynamic range is incredible
badteeth.gif

Eh, it's just as with any new technological advance - they're trying to look far into the future and prognosticate what this technology could potentially produce. This technology is so far away from reaching any sort of practical application stage that I doubt we'll be worrying about it for dozens of years to come.

Yeah, my 70-200 VRII isn't going on craigslist any time soon!

Most reactions

Back