The Eye Thread

Who are youÉ

• Total voters
You should have one eye dominence over another. A good way to check is to hold your thumb up so that it covers a distant object. Then close your left eye, if your thumb is still covering it, you are right eye dominant. If the object moves out from behind your thumb, you are left eye dominant.

Ok i tried that and when i alternate closing my eyes my thumb is equal distance on either side of the object

Ok i tried that and when i alternate closing my eyes my thumb is equal distance on either side of the object

Ocular dominance is a very interesting thing. In the world of shooting sports (anything having to do with aiming a projectile of some sort) it is a really important thing to understand.

Here is one of the easiets tests for dominance. Square off to a distant, and small object. A light bulb, a door handle, a drawer pull etc. Try and put about 15 feet between you and it. Now take a compact disc, and hold it up so that with both eyes open you can see the object through the hole in the middle. Then, without moving the CD or your head, first close the right eye and keep the left eye open. Then close the let eye, and keep the right eye open. One of the eyes should display the object pretty much in the hole of the CD, and the other will have the object move either partially or completely out of view. The eye that shows the object through the hole in the CD is your dominant eye.

here are a couple of links that I think will help you better understand it. Take some time to view the "determination of ocular dominance" page, as it has some additional dominance tests. It's not impossible that you don't have a dominant eye, but it is unlikely.

Ocular dominance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ocular dominance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Im left handed, but I use right eye and right hand.

Right hand right eye. When I first started shooting I thought it was weird trying to shoot right handed but couldnt figure a way to shoot lefty so I just delt with it. Pretty normal now.
Blue

wow, so far so good. Im surprised how many people are RH, LE! Although its still half of the righties all around. I didnt think that there would be that many. Like mentioned before it is good for right right as it makes tracking fast moving things a little bit easier, but personally i just cant get the focus right with my right eye, it seems more dim and out of focus, i have perfect 20/20 so i guess its amental thing.

I used to be RH/RE, but a devastating eye infection 3 yrs ago in my right eye left me with severely impaired vision. Now I'm RH/LE.

Most reactions

Back