The FINAL question on D70 vs. Digital Rebel / 300D

netspots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Based on many comments I've read, I've come to this conclusion: if both cameras are set to Auto mode, and NO post-processing work is done, the Digital Rebel has better overall picture quality (as in "colors that pop", etc). The D70 pictures apparently need some post-processing work to acheive that same pop in the colors and overall image quality. If this is true (please correct me if I'm wrong), then here's my question:

Does the D70 post-processing work need to be done manually, one picture at a time? Or is there a way to set up Photoshop CS so it automatically tweaks all opened files at the same time (like in a batch process)? In other words, let's say I take 50 shots with the D70. Then I open them all in Photoshop CS. Could I click a button or two and have all the files modified the exact same way, so they would all end up with that same "pop" the Digital Rebel gives by default?

If so, it would seem that the D70 is the camera to buy, even for us non-pros. But if we have to post-process each picture individually (very labor intensive) then maybe the D70 is not the best choice for us non-pro casual shooters. Maybe we're better off with the Drebel.

Anyone know if this type of batch processing can be done in Photoshop CS? Would it achieve the results I'm looking for?

Any other thoughts or comments? Thanks very much...

Not sure about P/shop, but if you've got an Epson printer which came with Epson PhotoQuicker, you can impose the same corrections on batches of prints. Mind you, the adjustments are very basic. You could download PhotoQuicker from Epson's website and give it a go; no harm done!

I believe that you should first check out if there is any difference between pics straight from each camera, I find it very hard to believe that anyone would see any difference once you get the initial adjustments set to your liking.
Buy whichever of the two feels best to you and quit worrying about esoteric BS!
Have fun with whichever one you get!
Just my $0.02 worth.

netspots said:
the Digital Rebel has better overall picture quality (as in "colors that pop", etc).

If your camera makes colours pop, there's probably something short-circuiting inside.

If you aim for capture fidelity and good detail, then the post-processing can create whatever effect you like. If you choose a camera because it has a certain style of its own, you'll be limiting yours.

Here's the easiest way to determine which camera will take better photos: handle both. Decide which one you prefer. Decide which one you're more likely to actually use. If both decisions favour the same camera, then that's the one that will take better photos.

netspots said:
"colors that pop"
Get a point and shoot and you'll have Colors that POP!

In fact, they camera will saturate everything to pop no matter what you tell it to do :D

i got the impression that the question asked is which camera distorts color rendition more? you can quite likely affect the rendition with white balance adjustment.

Most reactions

Back