The first package of my New Gear Arrived.

TAG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This might even prove to be the most important part. at least in the beginning. These actually got here really quickly. I was amazed.

books.jpg

Pardon the picture it was taken with my phone. My batteries are toast in the P&S. They don't hold a charge anymore.

The rest of my "gear" should be here on Tuesday at the latest. Pictures will most definitely be added to this thread as they arrive. Paid enough for the stuff may as well show it off and then disappear for awhile why I try to learn how to use it.

Two of the best books you can purchase are
Understanding Exposure : [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221879660&sr=8-1[/ame]

and : "Learning to see creatively"
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Learning-See-Creatively-Composition-Photography/dp/0817441816/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221879722&sr=1-1[/ame]

Both by Bryan Peterson

I will most likely pick up "understanding exposure" when I'm done of these books. But these should get me started for sure.

-TAG

The scott kelby boods are a favorite of mine. IMO they are written very well, not to Techy for us Noobs! Understanding Exposure is a good one also...

Ok so box number two came in today. This is the most important in regards to getting me started (it's the camera). I'm really happy with this equipment so far. I wish I would have known this bag was this small. One size bigger would have been nice but it will be easy to fit as a carry on with me on the plane. my last box of stuff is stuck at the border and do to a shipping error it has to be sent back to B&H and then sent to me through a different courier. But at least I have the camera to play and lenses to play around with and to take on my trip with me in a few weeks. I'm be gone from the site for bit as I try to learn how to properly use this new toy of mine.

Here is the contents of box two.

001small.jpg

-TAG

Wow, 3 lenses, a camera, a battery grip, 2 memory cards, a CPol, a UV filter, a bag and two reference books - you really went all out for your first purchase! Have fun!

wow im jealous. haha is it just me, or in the cover of the book, the cameras brand is "digital"

what a name :D

it seemed funnier at the time. :)

wow im jealous. haha is it just me, or in the cover of the book, the cameras brand is "digital"

what a name :D

it seemed funnier at the time. :)

haha i noticed that as well. it gave me a quick lol'

but yeah, that's a pretty good camera setup you're gonna have

Yeah it's most likely done so that no one is turned off by the book. If he put a Nikon on there then Canon users and others may be turned off. if he put a Canon on there Nikon and others may be turned off. From what I can see he uses Nikon cameras. I still haven't started reading yet. I'm reading another book unrelated to this hobby (related to cars) but that is almost finished so I'll be starting on these books in a few days.

-TAG

Box number three is here.

060small.jpg

I'm really happy with this gear. It looks like really good quality stuff. The head is a little large like I thought it would be, but I really like it. After playing with it a little I can see why a ball head would be much more convenient. Although I prefer this style I think a ball head would be better for quick set up when you don't have all day to get a shot. This is also the first picture I'm posting taken with the new camera. It's really horrible lighting in here and I"m really horrible with this camera so far. Going to take a lot of reading and a lot more practice.

-TAG

Last edited:
Wow, you don't mess around! I've been buying one thing at a time, but I like your approach! :D

Very good choices of lenses to get you started. Only thing now would be a dediated wide-angle lens and you are good to go.

As far as the books, you should really read Understanding Exposure first - I just found it to be like a Math Tutor explaining Math in the most easiest way possible, while Kelby was good, but not as relaxed or intuitive as Peterson.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back