The "flash me!" thread

Here's an oldie. Street light is the artificial source of light.
IMG_0354croppedsmall.jpg

yeah i knew it was because it was on camera but redeye reduction never works, plus his right eye doesn't react to light so it's never going to work.

Was just an idea, in case there was any easy on-camera solution.

Icassell - any more shots with that thing yet? :)

I would think something simple like a diffuser for on camera would keep it from "red-eyeing". When I shoot people outdoors with the flash I diffuse it and shoot straight at them and never get red eye.

^very nice, nice natural colours for a night shot, well captured. Usual sodium glow around here but i've never tried playing with white balance to see what would happen.

Thanks for the tip Nate, i'll give it a bash out back tomorrow (he's not fit enough for those antics down the beach everyday lol)

I used one of those clamp on cheapo work lights and some white paper to reflect it.

Same light used here(I think I posted this one before)

And does this count Subway lighting is completely artificial

Yup, i know how red eye reduction works, just wondered why it never works on dogs :)

A bracket seems like the best idea then in that situation.

Anyway.. off i go to look for some dog-eye plugins/filters.
Have you tried using an Omnibounce. Or are you suing the on board flash. In that case it wont work.
The only flash shot I have loaded to my site was posted before but, here it is again.
333856633_uUbFt-XL.jpg

Nah i'll need to invest in one, meanwhile i'll try making some sort of diffuser.

Another question for general information/advice/opinions.

Q: High Speed Sync worth it?, i'm Nikon so it's "Auto FP High Speed Sync".. I've done some reading and mostly they say it's pointless, loss of output effectiveness, shorter battery life, etc. I never tried it down the beach with my dog but i would have liked a faster shutter speed than 1/200th (say 1/320th - 1/400th) to stop his motion, the flash was only for fill anyway. Any opinions on High Speed Sync?

Zansh: Niiiiice pic. I love the effect and composition.

K_Pugh: :lol: on the sig... just for that, I'm gonna drag this one out again! :lmao:

Snoot Experiments - Snoot Fan with Whiskey - 010 tpf.jpg

That's what I would have suggested, Joves. Some kind of diffuser would work, even a bit of paper. Your problem then would be that your flash would lose quite a bit of power, so it might not be enough to overpower the natural daylight. Best of luck, though!

All of my flash photos look awful, lol, so I'll leave you to it.

I just cut out a little diffuser from a shampoo bottle, costing me 2/3 to 1 stop but appears to be working fairly well so far.. haven't tried it in bright sunlight though as it's raining!

I love all the McGuyver lighting setups.

"Yeah, I uh duct taped my cat to the flash and applied a light coating of salad dressing oil and axle grease. SHAZZAM!"

Nah i'll need to invest in one, meanwhile i'll try making some sort of diffuser.

Another question for general information/advice/opinions.

Q: High Speed Sync worth it?, i'm Nikon so it's "Auto FP High Speed Sync".. I've done some reading and mostly they say it's pointless, loss of output effectiveness, shorter battery life, etc. I never tried it down the beach with my dog but i would have liked a faster shutter speed than 1/200th (say 1/320th - 1/400th) to stop his motion, the flash was only for fill anyway. Any opinions on High Speed Sync?

It depends what camera you have. If you don't have one that can actually sync with a flash above the rated x sync, then yes. Shutter speed is all about being able to over power the ambient. Ever want to shoot out side at noon and over power the sun?

Most reactions

Back