The Fog and Gloom Series

#1 for me :)
The extended darkness at the bottom of the frame adds a cold feel to the shot. And it seems to give it a bit more depth.

good job, and on woodsacs note, yeah, that darkness is nice. it kind of reminds me of some of brassai's stuff.

also the fog reminds me of photo's from before anti-halation backing, i really like the glow.

WOW! 5 and 6 are just wonderful (maybe straighten 6 a bit)

3 seems to be too modern of a picture (cars/water tower) for the treatment it was given.

I love this series :)

Thanks for the comments and compliments everyone. :) I really appreciate it.

Joe, I'd already straightened the last one from the other direction....I guess that's what I get for not sitting up straight. I had already noticed that it was tilted when I looked at it at work today. Look better now ?

newrmdmike, I had to look up brassai to know who you were talking about (bad me, not very familiar with famous photogs)...and thanks so much for the compliment. :)

#2 is my favorite. I like the single road, instead of a crossroad (like in #1), it gives me a shivery "and miles to go before I sleep" feeling.

Very nice!!

I like this series, Core. She's given me OTE permission in PM, so here's a few ideas.

For the first one, I tried a crop like this:

Fog1SM-mod.jpg[

The overhead branches become more of a frame, the cross-street is deemphasized, and your eye is more easily drawn down the foggy street to notice the disappearing trees. I really like this shot. The second and third shots lack this potential for me because of other things in the image, like the trash cans and the cars.

I think #4 is a location with great potential, but I can't find a crop at this angle that really works for me. The split horizon makes me feel like there are two subjects, the tree and the little cove of water, but neither one really take the stage. Something like this is the best I could find for my own taste:

Fog4SM-mod.jpg

The dock becomes more important, but you lose the tree. It can be tough with such a blank sky to find a composition that doesn't leave a lot of blank space in the image. that can work sometimes, but often it can mess up the balance. I think this spot is worth a revisit to find a different angle.

#5 is another one that I think could be a neat image, but the balance doesn't work for me as is. I don't think there's a crop for this one either. I think it's a combination of the dock leading out of the image and the overbearing branch overhead.

#6 is cool, but it doesn't feel complete. It's like there are a bunch of different images there waiting to come out.

Fog6SM-mod1.jpg

Fog6SM-mod2.jpg

Fog6SM-mod3.jpg

Fog6SM-mod4.jpg

I personally like the last one best, even though it's a nonstandard crop (12x6). In the original, I think the dock is a little too strong, especially since it's pointing you off to the side when your eye follows it. It first steals my eye, then leads it astray. In these, it doesn't pull you away from the rest of the image as strongly. I also cropped down on the sky, which is too blank for me. There is a little bit of interesting texture off to the right, but the rest doesn't have enough data to bring out. Most of these have a split horizon, but the cropped dock leads me back up without stealing my attention.

Since you are talking about local interests in a small town, I'd go for trying to sell some of them. It's so hard to judge what will sell and where, since there are so many factors. A personal connection the viewer has to the location can be a big selling point.

Most reactions

Back