the forum' structure should be changed

I, for one, would not be here if all images were in a single thread. As EBphotography mentioned, trying to comment on an image or read other comments would be a real mess. There are theme threads in some of the galleries, and I generally don't look at them because of that.

And no, I don't just comment on the work of people I know. I'll comment on anything if I have something to say. And EB didn't say that he only read the threads of people he was friends with. I think you had a preconceived notion of that. There are also people that I look for specifically, but that doesn't mean that I eliminate anyone else.

I will say that I usually don't go in the general forum either, as that's where the more snapshotish "look at what I took" posts tend to go. If an image doesn't have enough thought in it to have a category, I'm usually not interested in seeing it. (But I'm not saying the general forum shouldn't be there, as some people do have an interest in it.)

I personally would like to have people and pets separated, as I'm not big on most pet images. Right now it's a little confusing with the wedding and portrait section being both about posting pro work and business discussion. I think I'd rather leave the business section for talking about business and have a "people" section for all people images, since it's in the gallery. As it is, a portrait might end up in either section.

I'm not complaining, mind you. You guys are going a great job. It's really hard to get a balance of what everyone wants.

It's really hard to get a balance of what everyone wants.
That's for sure :lol:

Right now it's a little confusing with the wedding and portrait section being both about posting pro work and business discussion. I think I'd rather leave the business section for talking about business and have a "people" section for all people images, since it's in the gallery. As it is, a portrait might end up in either section.
We wanted to have a section for professional type shots (weddings, portraits etc) that wouldn't get bogged down with snapshots of people's mothers and girlfriends. Now that I think of it...maybe it is odd that people & pets are grouped together :scratch:

We wanted to have a section for professional type shots (weddings, portraits etc) that wouldn't get bogged down with snapshots of people's mothers and girlfriends.

Oh, I gotchya. I do like that idea, though it does make it less likely that I'll visit "people and pets". I'm of the mind that general snaps of Grams would be better in "General", but not everyone is going to be thinking the same way as I do.

I do wish there was some way to separate out general snaps from images with intent. I don't mean based on quality, but in what the photographer wants to do. If they want to achieve something specific or are looking for ways to improve, then I'm happy to comment, but without that, the forum becomes just a place to dump photos for people to look at. I know that's a pipe dream though.

I do wish there was some way to separate out general snaps from images with intent. I don't mean based on quality, but in what the photographer wants to do. If they want to achieve something specific or are looking for ways to improve
In theory...that's what the critique forum should be...but it's hard enough to enforce the guidelines of that forum...without people dumping in several images and saying 'have a look at these'.
There doesnt seem to be a correct solution to these types of issues...we just do what we think is best and go with that. If there is enough demand, then we are always open to make changes...but there will inevitably be people who will like it better the other way.

what if we split the critique forum in a beginners corner (for mainly technical questions as in how can it be improved with diferent camera settings, different postprocessing) and an advanced corner which is mainly about the light, composition, the artsy aspects of images.

In the critique forum guidelines...we ask that the poster tell us what they were looking for and what aspects they are looking for critique on (or something like that)...so I don't think that we would really need to segregate that section.

Unfortunately...not that many people do this when the post into the critique forum.

Unfortunately...not that many people do this when the post into the critique forum.

exactly that is the reason why i suggested ;)

but then again keeping things simple is always a good idea and we should not fragment the whole forum too much.

anyway, it was just an idea in this brainstorming

I guess I don't feel that a person needs to have a specific question in mind when asking for a critique. I have a feeling that's one thing that keeps more people from posting in there. Quite often, someone might have a feeling that an image is decent, but there's something missing. They just don't know what. You have to have some amount of knowledge to know what kinds of questions to ask. A general critique allows someone to give them ideas that they might not have thought to ask about. Specific questions seem to fit a "How do I fix this?" approach than an actual critique, which in my mind, stand alone. You present your work and someone gives you their response to it.

I do think it's a good idea to have an intent behind the photo itself, and asking for that in the critique request makes the most sense to me. If someone post an image of a stream and says there intent was to make a peaceful image, then I can critique the image based on whether or not I feel it was successful and make suggestions towards that goal, like "a slow shutter speed would blur the water, which would give the image a more peaceful feel than the frozen droplets you have now." With just a question, you might get, "is the water well exposed?" I like the idea behind having a question with the critique request, but I don't think the end result is really giving us what was in mind.

Having to post an intent might make people shy away also, but who know. It does seem to connect more with the actual picture taking process. People often have an intent when they take a picture, but don't always have a question in mind.

I do think that a single image per request is still a necessity. And I wouldn't split the forum up. I think it's too hard to split beginner/advanced stuff, and it doesn't have enough traffic to warrant it.

I believe that if folks stepped back and carefully viewed the forum layout, they would find an area that was perfect for what they want to post.

The forum has been laid out specifically for professionals, hobbyists, and the very casual shooter, as well as for a variety of subject matter. These things are easy to offer up, and the genuine intent is to have something that appeals to all levels of photographic talent, interest, and expectations.

Unfortunately, what cannot be controlled is the manner in which it is used. We try to keep a light touch on moderating. The information is laid out clearly, if people would take the time to read it.

That said, TPF is also fluid, a work in progress, so these ideas and suggestions are always welcomed. Its current format has come from our discussions based on members' input, so keep it coming by all means! :)

actually, just want to state something:

I personally am very happy that this forum is home to so many different kind of people taking images.

pros, amateurs, newbies ... and there is a corner for everyone ...

I guess I don't feel that a person needs to have a specific question in mind when asking for a critique. I have a feeling that's one thing that keeps more people from posting in there.
Once again, it's either one way or another. I think that our intent with that forum and it's guidelines...is to keep it for images with specific intent and hopefully questions about that intent. Otherwise...it just ends up being a forum with a bunch of pictures and a lot of 'nice shot' comments and smiles. That is more what the galleries are for. It's hard enough to get good constructive criticism because most everyone here is quite friendly :D
It's not uncommon for people to ask why they aren't getting more honest, in-depth critique...so we have set out the guidelines to help the critique process work.
People still comment and critique in the other galleries...which is fine, that's why people post photos in the first place.

I hear what you are saying, Mark...and I agree. There need not always be a specific question to go with an image that requests critique...but if there is not idea of the photo's intent...then what are we to comment on? Often, this will result in little or no response at all...which isn't what the OP wants at all.

Believe me, this has been discussed and we are always trying to find the best solution for the forum and it's members. We appreciate the feed back that we are getting, keep it up. :D

Have we considered just eliminating the Critique forum? I know that is a very radical idea, but generally people get a critique when they post in any of the galleries. The critique forum just seems like a mess to me, I posted in there when I was a new and violated just about every rule possible for that section. Hehe. Also, maybe if we wanted to have people ask a question, which I think should be optional, make a small text box above the actual post where users can input their question, similar to the current title option which puts it in bold at the top. If under the title, which may or may not be there, it says in bold something like:

The Lazy River
Question: Does this achieve the peaceful look I was going for?

Not sure if that is even possible, but it seems to me it would be a nice way of integrating the critique forum into the galleries. At the moment the critique forum seems like the place where new members go first to post their 92 pictures from the last month and ask for an opinion.

And Fav, I certainly didn't mean to say I won't look at someone's photo because I haven't befriended them or seen their work in the past, I just do like to give the people I am close to feedback, as well as those who I've come to have a great deal of respect for because of their talent. I look at a lot of photos on here, certainly not all are people I know or ever will! I apologize for upsetting you, and hope there are no hard feelings. :)

Eric.

no problem, Eric.
I didn't wanted to upset someone neither, just trying to get the forum to make us better... and that's my opinion....
I think there are too many topics and sometimes we cannot see what's important, maybe..
making this separation would divide the photos by theme and they will be more time in the firsts pages...
I don't even bother to open many of threds sometimes, cause of the lack of time.....
I would give you an example of a forum that works really great, but it isn't in english.... this forum could be even better, cause we have much users, and great photos.....
still... here it is

Most reactions

New Topics

Back