The Future of Post Processing

Just because something is hanging on a wall doesn't make it art. If someone does that I think they're deceiving themselves as much as others.

New technology can be useful. But it does take developing skills and learning techniques in photography as well as other crafts and art.

Well Vintage how I wish you were right. However "art" is such a subjective thing that it is impossible to say what is good or what is bad.

I visited and art museum last fall with rooms dedicated to landscapes, seascapes and still life painting from the 1600's through the present. I was enamored by the original 19th century Hudson River school landscapes, ships at sea , and beach goers. The final two galleries found people swooning over Picasso and other abstract artist's works, that looked to me like a 1st grader's scribbling.

So too, some of the modern photographs featured in magazines and websites. What I call out of focus, is refereed to as soft focus or better yet intentional; so you concentrate on the meaning, not the photograph. Streaks of light, chartreuse icebergs, hodgepodges of random images conjured up in post processing; are all considered art to some eyes. After all, it is their money and their wall space, so if it makes them happy, that is fine with me.

I look at a photo and either I like it, I am neutral or I dismiss it with an "oh well" and a shrug.

Art truly is in the eye of the beholder, skills and techniques of the artist seem to be of less important than idea it is trying to convey.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back