The Genesis Of Colors...

I like the colors and composition a lot!

The only thing that I see that I don't like is quantization distortion from the post-processing... I wonder if it might benefit from a little noise reduction.

Did you edit this in 8-bit?

Thank you analog.Actually this was a tiff image, of which a copy was saved as jpeg; then i did minor adjustments in picasa-like brighten up,' i am feeling lucky' etc; yes, i trimmed out darker bottom....
Please let me know what is quantization distortion is :D

Once an image is saved as a JPG, you only get 8-bit resolution per color channel. This essentially means that you don't have all that much data to work with when you do your edits in picasa. The data that is there gets "stretched out", and instead of smooth color transitions, you get stepped gradients. The stepping pattern is called quantization, since it is a series of discreet values instead of a continuous transition. You can see this most clearly in your image in the dark mountain area. The light falloff from the sun as it fades to black exhibits theses steps.

The ideal solution, is to use an editor that can work in 16-bit. (Either by making the necessary changes during the RAW conversion process, or by using something like photoshop to edit the 16-bit TIFF).

After the fact, a wavelet denoise (a common filter in image editors), may be able to smooth over the steps at the expense of slight loss of detail.

I ran a bit of denoise, but at the size of this image on here it didn't work so well. I may be the solution, however, if you have the facility.
I used to have issues with noise, especially when brightening an underexposed image. The problem here is that the red on the right is pretty much blown out, so lightening elsewhere will just blow that side completely.

I think this spot, and these sky conditions are a good place to try HDR...three bracketed shots in your 400D and merged in Photoshop will allow you to get detail in that right side and get a decent exposure elsewhere. I realise you can't take THIS shot again...maybe next time. :)

Excellent composition. I really like the sun off to the extreme right, allowing for such a great color variation to the left. The picture is some what noisy, but after reading through the thread, I understand why. Just one question. Why did you save it as a TIFF file?

I ran a bit of denoise, but at the size of this image on here it didn't work so well. I may be the solution, however, if you have the facility.
I used to have issues with noise, especially when brightening an underexposed image. The problem here is that the red on the right is pretty much blown out, so lightening elsewhere will just blow that side completely.

I think this spot, and these sky conditions are a good place to try HDR...three bracketed shots in your 400D and merged in Photoshop will allow you to get detail in that right side and get a decent exposure elsewhere. I realise you can't take THIS shot again...maybe next time. :)

Thank you BTL for the detailed analyses. How about creating over/under images and making an HDR? ;)

Excellent composition. I really like the sun off to the extreme right, allowing for such a great color variation to the left. The picture is some what noisy, but after reading through the thread, I understand why. Just one question. Why did you save it as a TIFF file?

Thank you Joel... i think processing in bundled canon software gave tiff images then...since my knowledge was not much deep regarding JPEG/TIFF/RAW, i saved it as such then :D

I like that first one. Nice shot. Maybe a tad underexposed. I would bring the exposure up just a little which would add a little more detail to the ground level stuff and help blend the middle of the sun to the corona better. be careful not to push it too much so you dont lose the good detail in the clouds.

Thank you BTL for the detailed analyses. How about creating over/under images and making an HDR? ;)

Don't think that would help because there IS no detail on the right...and creating the + exposure would introduce the noise anyway.

I may be wrong, though. :)

I know folks outside the HDR forum do not like HDR but these are two very good examples where HDR would have helped these photos.

My cc is that it is just to grainy to appreciate especially the second one. I think the composition in the first would be better if the sun was not so far off to the right as it cuts off the glow and its very bright on that side of the image. The second one I am not crazy about the colors (orange and green).

This is just my opinion.

Here is an HDR I did. I think its similar to yours not twin brothers similar but cousins similar....if you understand what I mean.

gatespastdarksunset by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

I shot this in RAW imported to Photomatix and save as a 16 bit tiff and processed in photoshop CS5.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back