The Girl Who Dreams of Saving the World ~ Sage Lim

JohnKokWithAdSLR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is Sage Lim, she dreams of saving the world =)

CherryCherryLadySageLim.jpg

wondererpondererdaydreamersage.jpg
Dream a lil dream ~

EuroSageLim.jpg
EURO

sagelimmillionairemaddam.jpg
Millionaire Madam

SAGELIMlook.jpg
The Girl Next Door

Self Criticism :
#1, #2, #3 - Got artifact in the bg =( sigh.. really spoil

C & C welcome, please be harsh as possible, I wish to learn

EXIF
#1 - 1/60, f4.5, ISO 100, 50 mm
#2 - 1/250, f2.8, ISO 100, 50 mm
#3 - 1/100, f4.5, ISO 100, 50 mm
#4 - 1/60, f4.5, ISO 100, 50 mm
#5 - 1/40, f4.5, ISO 100, 50 mm

Sorry about the small pictures, got bigger ones here

Artistically Scientific Side of Things

I am mainly here for technical improvement but please allow me the opportunity to share a little bit about my actual work.

All these photos that I posted all along are actually from my invention of an article that I hope can help us, through pictures and words, understand another person to a certain degree.

The full article for Sage Lim is here -> Full Article

After reading the article and looking at the photos, please try to use all of the emotions and impressions generated by them to, in your mind, reconstruct an individual. If what you have constructed in your mind is at least 10 % of the real person then my experimental article is on the right track.
I would be grateful for any feedback at all as they are valuable for my experiment’s progress. Thank you ;-)

I would like to see you bring out more in her eyes. They get shadowed in. The background in #4 is kinda funny with the black on top. I also think you might have missed focus a hair on a couple of them. Otherwise, beautiful, just like your last work. I love to see natural light photographs. (even though I hardly ever use it) lol.

Why are your shots always taken in a mall?

Big mistake choosing glass as background.

Doesn't seem that you were moving yourself much when taking this set of photos. Were you just sitting across at a table from her or something?

Why should I know that she dreams to save the world? Am I suppose to pick that up from looking at these photos?

Lastly, seems that you are sacrificing sharpness(focus) for ISO. If you are doing longer than 1/125 sec with moving subject, you need to reconsider your exposure setting. At that point, I'd rather bump up the ISO to compensate for lack of adequate light source. Pushing the aperture too high will risk light distortion.

I would like to see you bring out more in her eyes. They get shadowed in.

That will defeat the purpose of the make up though(eye line, shadow and fake eye lashes), which is to create the illusion that her eyes are much bigger than they really are. Focusing on them will probably not have very complimentary results. IMO if a girl has a ton of make up on her, forget about capturing the "details".

Last edited:
glass background is really hard to deal with. so if possible I do not do it.

Did you get that reflector for these?

not yet =(

I would like to see you bring out more in her eyes. They get shadowed in. The background in #4 is kinda funny with the black on top. I also think you might have missed focus a hair on a couple of them. Otherwise, beautiful, just like your last work. I love to see natural light photographs. (even though I hardly ever use it) lol.

thank you very much =) I shall digest these points

Doesn't seem that you were moving yourself much when taking this set of photos. Were you just sitting across at a table from her or something?

Why should I know that she dreams to save the world? Am I suppose to pick that up from looking at these photos?

Lastly, seems that you are sacrificing sharpness(focus) for ISO. If you are doing longer than 1/125 sec with moving subject, you need to reconsider your exposure setting. At that point, I'd rather bump up the ISO to compensate for lack of adequate light source. Pushing the aperture too high will risk light distortion.

I would like to see you bring out more in her eyes. They get shadowed in.

That will defeat the purpose of the make up though(eye line, shadow and fake eye lashes), which is to create the illusion that her eyes are much bigger than they really are. Focusing on them will probably not have very complimentary results. IMO if a girl has a ton of make up on her, forget about capturing the "details".

Taken in Mall because I am afraid of the sun and heat XD

My shutter is just too low =( I think I need at least 1/80, I forgot to pay attention to the shutter speed while using Av mode

Yes, i sat opposite her

Well .. I was hoping that you might be able to feel her noble personality thru the photos and words

indeed

lol however, whole having a softer picture might be more aesthetic, having cystal clear pupils can be quite charming also. I suppose need to strike a balance between them ... have to find out how

glass background is really hard to deal with. so if possible I do not do it.

Indeed =( will avoid next time

The reason why I asked if you were just in a mall is because everything that she described herself to be is contrary to what the photos show. Out going, adventurous, sympathetic, dream of backpacking on some corner of the world..... and you guys are sitting in a comfortable air conditioned mall? Do you see the disconnect here? If you want to express certainly qualities of the subject, you need to go all out to capture that. I don't know exactly where you are from (my guess is Singapore/Malaysia/HK). Go out to the woods/forest and fight the vicious monkeys! Afraid of the sun/heat? You need to move to some other parts of the world then.

All of the models on your site have different qualities that they want to tell the audience about, but all of the photos are the same. Sitting in a mall. I know it's convenient in case you cannot resist the temptation of shopping..... but that spells laziness to me.

I've been wondering the same thing, honestly. The threads all contain very similar pictures, with very similar posing so it's really hard to differentiate with your work. Technically, it looks like a majority of these missed focus. Beautiful girl, though!

The reason why I asked if you were just in a mall is because everything that she described herself to be is contrary to what the photos show. Out going, adventurous, sympathetic, dream of backpacking on some corner of the world..... and you guys are sitting in a comfortable air conditioned mall? Do you see the disconnect here? If you want to express certainly qualities of the subject, you need to go all out to capture that. I don't know exactly where you are from (my guess is Singapore/Malaysia/HK). Go out to the woods/forest and fight the vicious monkeys! Afraid of the sun/heat? You need to move to some other parts of the world then.

All of the models on your site have different qualities that they want to tell the audience about, but all of the photos are the same. Sitting in a mall. I know it's convenient in case you cannot resist the temptation of shopping..... but that spells laziness to me.

The thing is ... I am more towards playing the role of documenter rather than facilitator

If someone tells me that they want to be superman, I dont ask them to dress as superman then take photo XD i would take photos of them before they are superman, I hope to express their desire and dream and their personality which makes them want to be superman ( dont know if you all get me but the general idea is something like this )

What does the mall symbolize in our daily modern living ? To me it symbolizes reality, and us talking in the mall about dreams and aspiration symbolizes our constant struggle to bring our visions and fantasies into this material plane.

I've been wondering the same thing, honestly. The threads all contain very similar pictures, with very similar posing so it's really hard to differentiate with your work. Technically, it looks like a majority of these missed focus. Beautiful girl, though!

The similar posing is meant to set a standard which allows the comparison in the difference of manner and personality to different models =)

But thank you, I shall work more on my focus

There is no art in this documentary images, mostly photos and lighting the place is the duty of the
My advice is to order in advance of lighting and the selection of backgrounds and places of photography in a way serving the photo and not just a souvenir photo

Those pictures are really out of focus.
Try to use iso 400 and dont go under 1/100

There is no art in this documentary images, mostly photos and lighting the place is the duty of the
My advice is to order in advance of lighting and the selection of backgrounds and places of photography in a way serving the photo and not just a souvenir photo

I beg to differ =) there is actually art in documentary images, its just not as evident

but your do have a point about the setup and everything

Those pictures are really out of focus.
Try to use iso 400 and dont go under 1/100

I think maybe its camera shake =( the shutter went under 1/80

Most reactions

New Topics

Back