PhotoWrangler

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.themodernmutt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The great camera conundrum -

I currently own a Hasselblad 500cm with tthe Zeiss 80mm 2.8. I love the camera, but I think I love the idea of the camera more. Its a great camera. A 1977 in excellent condition. The lens is sharp and I can produce great photos with it. However there are a few things that I dont like about it. The focusing isn't the quickest, and its a bit cumbersome even with the speed ring. The screen isn't the brightest and its sometimes hard to focus because its hard to see. And the accessories for it such as the Acute Matte D screen, and extra lenses are still SO EXPENSIVE, even today.

I'm thinking of selling it in order to purchase a Mamiya RZ67 kit. I used to shoot with a Mamiya C33 so I know that I definitely like the bellows focusing, and I like the brightness of the Mamiya screens. I can still make square images with a 6x7, but it will also lend itself well to traditional sizes as well.

My conundrum is whether I will really want to sell the Hasselblad or not. Its a classic and I may never find one in this condition again. I know that the equipment doesn't make the image, the photographer does, but will I regret it later on?

Thoughts? Decision making advice?

If you can't stomach breaking up with the Hasselblad, keep it and look into an RB67 Pro S/SD kit. Body+WLF+120 back+90mm aren't all that pricey now

If you think a Blad is cumbersome, and RZ is even more. It's massive, the strap lugs are in a terrible spot, and the focus system, as you know, is much different than a traditional lens mounted one. That being said, there is that little lock on the focus, the focus tends to be a little looser and easier to move, the rotating backs, and that wonderful 6x7 format. And lenses are CHEAP compared to Hasselblad equivalents.

Its not that its cumbersome per say... Its just that when you're holding the camera with your left hand, and trying to turn the focus ring, your right hand has to kinda go all the way across your left to focus. And its not the loosest focus ring either....

Hmm. I've got zero experience with actual V series Blads (mine was earlier). Are those lenses supposed to be that stiff? Otherwise, send it to David Odess and it'll loosen up, I imagine.

In that case, well, the RZ is much easier to focus. The RZ also has a regular hot shoe, which I'm a fan of. I think the Pro II is capable of TTL flash metering, too. It felt a little lighter than an RB, but I could be wrong. Just be ready for the size difference between the Blad and the RZ-it's significant. Another option, if you like square format, is a Bronica SQ, but if you ever want to go digital, there's that whole nobody makes a back for it issue.

what about a pentax 67? its bit easier to handle than both and the prices arent too bad. just a thought

I love my RZ and between it and the hassy my buddy has, ill take the RZ. Less expensive and I like the bellows system along with a rotating back.

Another vote for the Pentax 67.

I recently decided to sell my Mamiya RZ67 and other MF gear I just didn't use a lot. I was moving, and I figured I could use the cash. (Plus I moved internationally, and shipping charges were ridiculous).

The thing that really surprised me, is that although my kit would cost 1,000 + EUR if you price it out, I got a very lowball quote. As in, $0.05 - $0.10 on the dollar. And I tried quite a few camera stores / ways to sell.

What the guy behind one counter told me was that while they might list for 500+ in the front window, they sell very rarely, so the shops are only interested if they feel they're getting a great deal. Like 1000% markup.

At such a low return to selling it, it just made more sense for me to keep my old RZ67. You may find something similar with your 'blad.

Practice may help you speed up the focus. I used to use my Hasselblad for Street photography. I think the more you use it the quicker and easier it will be to use.

Most reactions

Back